Which firewall of these that everyone recommends?

Which firewall does everyone currently use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

php111

Thread author
Sep 26, 2013
Hey, I'm new to the forums!

Which of these firewalls in the polls would everyone recommend and does everyone currently use?

Windows Firewall vs Comodo 5.12 vs Comodo 6 vs Online Armor vs Outpost Pro vs Outpost free vs Privatefirewall?

Thank you,

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

Third-party firewalls just have too many issues.

Thanks. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Running on Windows 8, I use Windows Firewall. Here's an overview screenshot, but more is offered via it's Advanced Security features.

Other PCs also running with Windows Firewall (Windows 7), no suites or third-party firewalls with the average Security Awareness ranges from Basic to Intermediate on Other PCs.

EMGV3mz.png

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
read somewhere that TinyWall in Win7 is also good, and userfriendly....
default windows firewall is good enough for most users.

php111

Thread author
Sep 26, 2013
tapoo said:
read somewhere that TinyWall in Win7 is also good, and userfriendly....

Yes, you are right that Windows Firewall is good for most people, and I had others tell me the same from other forums, but honestly I never listen and I always go for 3rd party firewalls.

Anyway, would someone please answer these questions? I found these steps on Wilderssecurity, and how could I set it up like that, and how do they have the honeypot server setup in step #5?

1. Commercial grade router with it's firewall configured for full stealth mode, sometimes referred to as "silent running", etc.

2. Commercial grade router with NAT turned on.

3. Commercial grade router with Statefull Inspection turned on.

4. Commercial grade router with uPnP turned off.

5. Commercial grade router with a default server "honeypot" created to trap any wayward inbound traffic and let it "time out." Great to nail those unsolicted inbound ARP requests.

6. WIN Vista, 7, or 8 firewall in default config. but Remote Assistance tuned off. Use the Public profile for all wireless connections or if your a bit paranoid and don't have a home network.

7. Use a secure DNS service if your ISP security sucks. Verify ISP security using Grissoft test.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
And it is, because Avira 2014 will integrate with Windows Firewall too.

Unless paranoid about Hackers, Chrome sending passwords back to NSA servers, mystical drive-by-downloads whilst using IE6 on unpatched Windows XP.

Just to name a few. :p

tapoo said:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you already have a router with a firewall for security you don't need everything but Windows Firewall.

xvcLgsA.png

You never will have to worry about compatibility problems, wanted connections getting block, false positives, upgrade issues, slow network speed, system related problems, slow system boot, etc.

If you download torrents or use a download manager, all third-party firewalls will slow down your network speed. If you don't believe me, try downloading using only Windows Firewall with your third-party firewall completely uninstalled.

Windows Firewall add-ons like Sphinx Windows Firewall Control, BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control, fireBwall, Windows Firewall Notifier and TinyWall don't slow down your network speed and can be used if you want more easy control. They don't have all of the issues like most third-party firewalls either. Windows Firewall with Advanced Security is fairly simple and can do the same once you learn how to configure it.

Reactions: Koroke San

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Again you open the your bag of gems (food for my hungry brain) :D
"If you already have a router with a firewall for security you don't need everything but Windows Firewall."
oops... i don't have a router :(
but yes when i read it about this feature on MalwareTips last year so i turned it on in my friends office so thanks to MalwareTips members :)
"all third-party firewalls will slow down your network speed"
This is new to me
it can be subjective but i need hips feature with firewall as i have no antivirus at this time.
Thanks for share your valuable info with us.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
hello

alot of modems have some kind of hardware firewall also so one would think it would do as good as
a router firewall for those with out a router

i also use Windows 8 firewall with a router

thanks

James

:)

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
i know that Win7 firewall is good enough for most people, but what about WinXP firewall?? what do you think about it??

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
XP's Windows Firewall is bad compared to the Vista's (and higher) Windows Firewall, the Improvements introduced have made Windows Firewall significantly more secure. Also note, XP's Firewall was only introduced with Service Pack 2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Firewall

XP users are better off with a third-party firewall, as it has more updated and current features -although I'm not sure if all can apply because WFP isn't present in Windows XP.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363967(v=vs.85).aspx

Let me know if the WFP information is incorrect.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
^^ i also doubted that XP firewall is not that good, so testing firewalls for some days, and finally settled with Private firewall
In my Win7 installation, i use no third party firewall, only Avast Free...
thanks for the info.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The Windows XP Firewall is a joke, however if you have a router with a firewall it can help blocks attacks but still applications can bypass the XP firewall very easy.

Windows XP also lacks UAC and enhanced digital certificate checks on executable files, therefore I would recommend using a firewall with HIPS like Online Armor Free, Comodo Firewall, Malware Defender, PC Tools Firewall Plus, Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free or Privatefirewall with all HIPS enabled.

Older and discontinued firewalls still work excellent with Windows XP, most of the recent updates only address issues for newer Windows OS.

If Privatefirewall is working well on XP then there is no reason to change.

Back in the days of Windows XP, a third-party firewall was mandatory if you wanted a secure system. Now things are different and just about all of the third-party vendors are either making security suites with AV protection or just discontinuing their firewalls altogether. They know modern Windows no longer needs a third-party firewall so in order to stay in business they are making security suites.

Enjoy!! :D

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
^^ tried Online Armour/Comodo/ Zonealarm, and after some days i felt that internet is going slow, pc is running slow, etc....
with comodo, i got a unique problem, whenever i tried to open it from clicking Comodo Icon from Notification area, it doesn't opens. no response at all. After 1 or 2 minutes it opens. sometimes 5/6 minutes!!!. Even when i tried to open Comodo from Start Menu , same problem. uninstalled comodo and antivirus , and installed comodo IS, same problem, installed Comodo IS on Fresh installed Win7, faced same problem, i am not a expert to figure out whats going wrong, so i gave up :(

i using Private firewall with Default settings for more than 1 month , and working OK for me, .

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
What about Firewalls for Windows 8? Comodo Firewall seem to be the clear winner. Because of the sand box around your browser! Then/next Private Firewall in second place.

If, Private Firewall had the feature sandboxie feature then, it would be the clear winner! Your opinion about the above, pro's and/or
con's?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Moose said:
What about Firewalls for Windows 8? Comodo Firewall seem to be the clear winner. Because of the sand box around your browser! Then/next Private Firewall in second place.

If, Private Firewall had the feature sandboxie feature then, it would be the clear winner! Your opinion about the above, pro's and/or
con's?

Windows 8 does not need any third-party security products to be effective to block network connections or protect against malware.

If you utilize UAC, Windows digital file warning and SmartScreen, then Windows Firewall and Windows Defender will be enough.

In order for those extra features to actually be useful, the user would first have to manually download a malicious file, second ignore SmartScreen warning, third ignore UAC warning, forth ignore Windows digital file warning on the executable file. If you are a user that ignores all of these built-in Windows features then sandboxing and HIPS might be useful.

However Windows XP does not have these built-in features therefore third-party security products are needed.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
@Tapoo
yes this happens with me too when i tried it 4 months ago ,i think it also depend on product version like i have 2 ver. at that time i installed latest version and face the same situation so i removed it and tried old versin i have and that works without any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.