Battle Which Internet security Suite would you recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl fish

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I used to have Kis but it was to slow for me I'm looking for an Internet security Suite that has good detection, but not bloated like kaspersky

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Eset Smart Security 5 is a good choice.It is one of the lightest with a very good detection rate.Right now you can grab a 90 day license key and give it a try.You can go here for the key: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Promo-Eset-Smart-Security-Antivirus-Mobile-Security-90-days-free

You can download the installer here: http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/
and activate it with the 90 day license

A new version 6 is in RC right now and due for release after the first of 2013.Version 5 is windows 8 compatible.

If you would like to try Avira Internet Security,I can provide you with a 6 month free license.Although Avira wont be windows 8 compatible until Jan 2013

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
carl fish said:
I used to have Kis but it was to slow for me I'm looking for an Internet security Suite that has good detection, but not bloated like kaspersky

ESET SMART SECURITY 5 is the best for you.

ESET SS:
Good detection rate (a little down as compared to KIS)
Very light (less resource usage as compared to KIS)
Good & Easy UI
Very good cleaning process
No slowdowns at all, system very responsive, even during scan.
Good web protection

I

illumination

There are a few good choices out there, and this has been brought up before around these posts, that the best route is to test a few yourself, and see what works for you and your uses. What works well for others may not work well for you.

P

Plexx

One question to determine the list of possibilities before this thread becomes a mirror image of most war room threads:

What features are you looking for in the Internet Security Suite?

As you know, most will not have the features KIS has, so you will need to break down to see what you will use, as well as some will have other features KIS doesnt have.

If you simply want FW, AV and some zero day components, it will help narrow down the choice, as well as your budget.

Additional factors:
Scan speed
Boot time
I/O
RAM Usage
Protection module usage (do not get mistaken with detection rate)
What type of zero day protection (HIPS, BB, HIDS/IDS)

Of the top of my head, Free: Comodo Internet Security, Paid: ESET AV + Windows Firewall or AVG with Windows Firewall (you can always switch to Comodo Firewall) or avast! if you do not mind the current issues.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
NSG001 said:
As others have said this subject has been done to death.
Self testing is the way forward, decide for yourself :)

Completely agree, but when doing self testing don't try to download malware purposely to see if your solution detects it, because that is a false way of testing. If your solution keeps you malware free then that is good enough provided that you have used safe downloading skills since no solution will detect all malicious files that you download.

Thanks.:D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
A free, custom made suite.

If you want to pay for one get Avira's suite. Tweak it a little and it rocks. It will not slow you down at all. It is light as a feather.

http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-internet-security/product/avira-internet-security/product/avira-internet-security

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I decided to defect from kaspersky and used CIS ie comodo internet security.
Here is what I found.
1- Its light and system is fast even when during scans.
2- Good detection. Keeping my pc virus free
3- Rarely will you get a confusing popup.
So try it , but note that CIs does not have web scaning. So during install enabling comodo safe DNS and use a scanner like k9 web filter or traffic light.
Or you could choose avira as ZOU said. But remember that Avira lacks windows 8 support.
There is an update which should have arrived between 12-16 of november, enabling Windows 8 support and resolving all of the compatibility issues. Only action center integration remains. So pls disregard any action center warning while using avira. Preferably turn its antivirus monitoring off.
:)

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Littlebits said:
Completely agree, but when doing self testing don't try to download malware purposely to see if your solution detects it, because that is a false way of testing. If your solution keeps you malware free then that is good enough provided that you have used safe downloading skills since no solution will detect all malicious files that you download.

Thanks.:D

I would never advise anyone to infect their system knowingly.
Even though i play with it all the time :)

So ... Word of Warning:

NEVER PLAY WITH LIVE MALWARE

icorino

Verified
Nov 18, 2012
Personally i would look for the stronger one on firewall-level : that would make comodo a good contestant (but av protection lacks a bit) so according to matousec Kaspersky should be the overall winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.