Advice Request Which is better for Windows 8.1

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrMi

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
What do you prefer? The start screen or Start Menu? What is more suitable for Windows 8.1/

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Which start menu software do you use for Windows 8.1?

Most of the applications I use are either pinned to taskbar, desktop shortcut or searched. I launch directly to desktop, so don't really use either.

Last edited:
Reactions: vindiesel and PrMi

PrMi

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Which start menu software do you use for Windows 8.1?

Most of the applications I use are either pinned to taskbar, desktop shortcut or searched. I launch directly to desktop, so don't really use either.
I use StartIsBack+

Reactions: LabZero

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I personally like and use IObits Start menu, looks and works good and is easy to use. :)

Reactions: PrMi

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually Windows 10 Start Screen is really the actual base where you can resize on original form or full screen as a revamp version of start menu (XP/Vista/7), unlike on WIndows 8/8.1 which came to be a problem upon the dev and stable builds.

But of course many people want the straightforward and already familiarize on Start Menu, third party program like Start Menu 8 should solve the problem.

ScaleCraft

Jan 22, 2015
What do you prefer? The start screen or Start Menu? What is more suitable for Windows 8.1/
I use Start8, and have since one week after I ended up with this POS Toshiba Laptop (new).
Had there been Toshiba drivers for XP for this laptop, it would have had XP instead.
I spent months....normal desktop, green XP start button, separate run command entry, killed tiles, hot spots, charms, even have a desktop icon in the left side of the taskbar.
I'd have to drag it out to see what else I did. I am communicating from the XP Pro SP3 32 bit desktop right now.
I wanted the laptop to look like XP and function like it as much as possible...including OE Classic for my pop3 e-mail account.
I wish I could remove .1 and just do 8.
My desktop has familiar icons with same names as on my XP machines.
8.1 gave me "This PC" from the "My Computer" I had previously set up. Not impressed.
I fixed it with a direct link.
I refuse to use any IE past 8, just because. My "new" build, went officially on-line two weeks ago, is a Dell Precision 490...loaded fresh with Dell XP Pro 64 bit discs, and updated to SP2 (latest for 64 bit).
I'll run this until I die...Macrium Reflect backup and all.
But, to revert, I do not use any of the provided bits for MicroSlime on the 8 laptop. I even killed SkyDrive, the photo "program", the app MS Store, all of it. NOT interested.
Loaded OpenOffice, no MS Office anything...Picassa for photos...FireFox (older with less bells and whistles). 8.1 made some of it difficult, someday I'll dig it out and sort the mess of 8.1 out.
I do have a spare box with Ubuntu on it...before I ever buy anything form MS again I will use that.

The laptop even fooled a MS long-time employee who worked on development of 8.....he saw it and castigated me for still using XP...and would not believe it was 8 until he grabbed it and looked inside...."How the heck did you DO that?"

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@ScaleCraft Windows XP is a piece of junk and from a security point of view, not very secure since 2013. I recommend taking a look at Windows 10 or at least Windows 7 with SP1 installed.

Living in past is a problem for many Windows users, that's why it falls behind Linux and Mac OS X.

Apple users mostly embrace the change and new qualities that is brought to OS X, even if they are not always welcomed by the community.

Reactions: Oxygen

ScaleCraft

Jan 22, 2015
I really don't care. MS lost me forever as a customer with 8, but it started with the "critical" WGA update, where they overrode your settings and forced it on you.
I do no banking on-line...ever. No concern there. My intention is to keep using XP until they bury....well.
I can find my way around XP...when I try to open Documents and Settings in 8 or 8.1..or Application Data..and m denied access, with all permissions set, scrXw it.
I have tow towers, both feed one big monitor, 2.1TB external hard drive with Macrium Reflect image, if it dies, I re-load the image. Happened first of the year the the hard drive finally died, and I put in a new drive and reloaded.
I trust MS to do the right thing just like I trust the government.
They all say how bad XP is...but they made it and foisted it off on us..knowing they needed security n 1996 and did nothing....but then you have to think about why the big push to get everyone into the "new" OS....and the issue of MS now being able to look into all your files and photos...but they would never do that, right?
Or keylogging 10 Beta testers.
It's all another chunk of your freedom and privacy going away.
I drive flathead Fords. Can you imagine if HFII announced in 1954 that all support had ended for Flatheads and that you need to buy a new car?
I've got a 1911 over 100 years old. I have vacuum tube radios that all function.
I'm going to do this, come hell or high water. They can take their issues elsewhere.
Sorry.
Dave

Reactions: Koroke San

ScaleCraft

Jan 22, 2015
All I can base my understanding on is what I read. And I read a lot. The question is, are they telling the truth? One tech e-zine interviewed MS after they found the 10 Beta was being keylogged...MS said, yes, we can read your e-mails, see your documents and photos...but we won't.
Really?
They admitted it was ad-driven..which means sell the data on you to the highest advertiser. No? Tell me differently.
Or, the 8 Beta techies who reported a registry change made it 7...oh, no..MS deleted that option in 8 release...no?
You trust them?
Why do you think Balmer is gone?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@ScaleCraft :

1) Windows 10 is currently at preview stage therefore they need to collect some information to improve not just from hardware but software too, since its the case that on 29th of July will be suppose stable and primetime version.

• install or use Program software and services, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility (e.g., to help devices and apps work together),

• when you use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing (e.g., to help the service better translate speech into text),

• when you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes to use it for purposes such as improving performance (e.g., to help retrieve documents more quickly), or

• when you input text, handwrite notes, or ink comments, we may collect samples of your input to improve these input features, (e.g., to help improve the accuracy of autocomplete and spellcheck).
More Information on Privacy policy of Windows 10

2) I think you need to try Microsoft Edge which is a revamp and lots of features provided that can be really compete against other common browsers.

3) Let's admit it that Windows 8/8.1 became like a 'rush' development where many users complain and its confused interface however everything were adjusted but the damage of course brought impact.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
I prefer start screen & why to use external start menus when you can switch to the one that comes optionally with your windows 8.1? Just a month & windows 10 is going to rock by the way.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Third option: Windows 10.

I loathed 8 (lasted a week); I like 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.