Which is the best DNS?

Which DNS Service are you using?

• Total voters

14troy14

Level 1
Thread author
May 12, 2011
I know that ClearCloud DNS will be discontinued so I need to choose another one. :s

I know that there is a Norton DNS but it works only for English operating system and I got a French one. :(

Comodo have one too but I don't know is it's good.

So, Which is the best DNS?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
The best DNS for me is OpenDNS since it's fast with me and it offers content blocking.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I was also using CCloud. Changed my DNS to Norton a few
hours ago and so far, so good. Whether is the best or not,
I don't know but I am sure its better than Comodos DNS.

Bo

D

Deleted member 178

14troy14 said:
I know that ClearCloud DNS will be discontinued so I need to choose another one. :s

I know that there is a Norton DNS but it works only for English operating system and I got a French one. :(

Comodo have one too but I don't know is it's good.

So, Which is the best DNS?

tu n'as plus qu'a reformater ton system ! hahahaa je plaisante.

V

Vextor

I would personally use Norton DNS. COMODO isn't very good at blocking. There really aren't any other options. If you do want the ClearCloud Web Blocking and would change your AV, VIPRE is you only alternative. I hoped this helped.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The client (software) for Norton DNS has the English limitatation. You can use Norton DNS without installing the client. Just follow the manual instructions on their Get Started page:

If you prefer to manually change your DNS settings, follow the steps below. This procedure is recommended for advanced users only. Be sure to make a note of your current DNS settings should you want to revert to them later.
  1. Open the Control Panel from your Start menu.
  2. Click Network Connections and choose your current connection.
  3. On the General tab of the Connection Status screen, click Properties.
  4. On the General tab of Connection Proerties, scroll down and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click Properties.
  5. On the General tab of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, select Use the following DNS server addresses, then enter the two Norton DNS IP addresses: 198.153.192.1 and 198.153.194.1.
  6. Click OK, then close all of the open Panel windows.
This way you can fully benefit from the malware blocking capabilities of Norton DNS.

If you also need Content Filtering (see the quote bellow) you will need to:
  • Create a free Norton account
  • Install the client - Only needed if you don't have a static IP address.
  • Log-in to your account and choose what content you want blocked.

What is Content Filtering? From Norton DNS site:
In addition to automatically block known dangerous and infected websites, you can also create your own custom Norton DNS Web content filtering policy to block websites with content that you think is inappropriate or dangerous. You can choose from over 45 different categories of content to block.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well ClearCloud offers a great detection in blocking viruses still you can use before the discontinue date. For alternative Norton DNS will be your next stop.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The DNS is an electronic telephone book for a computer network,so in my opinion the primary purpose of a DNS is to increase your browsing speed...
If you want to find out which DNS Server is "faster" in you area ,you can use DNS Benchmark" and determine the exact performance of each one.
I do understand that DNS has evolved and now it can also protect your PC but their is no real need for a Secure DNS if you use a site advisor , browse under a Sandboxie and have a good security setup for your pc.
The highest rated Secure DNS are ClearCloud and Norton DNS,however ClearCloud will be discontinued in the next couple weeks.,so you have only one real option... Norton DNS.
Also in my opinion Norton DNS is at this moment above COMODO DNS which still needs some work :)
Overall I would suggest to use DNS Jumper" which will allow you to change your DNS server with one-click.

May 27, 2011
anyone using FoolDNS ?
http://www.fooldns.com/fooldns-community/english-version/
FoolDNS lists are especially crafted to lock domains containing viruses and/or malware software, to preemptively and promptly protect companies from being infected.
In addition to this FoolDNS implements real-time lists for Phishing sites blocking, effectively inhibiting access to domains dedicated to Identity Theft.
Destroy 90% of advertising, delete tracking cookies, avoid profiling

The Analogue Kid

Apr 23, 2011
Saru mo ki kara ochiru said:
anyone using FoolDNS ?
http://www.fooldns.com/fooldns-community/english-version/
FoolDNS lists are especially crafted to lock domains containing viruses and/or malware software, to preemptively and promptly protect companies from being infected.
In addition to this FoolDNS implements real-time lists for Phishing sites blocking, effectively inhibiting access to domains dedicated to Identity Theft.
Destroy 90% of advertising, delete tracking cookies, avoid profiling

MrXidus, anychance of a review please?

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Jack said:
I do understand that DNS has evolved and now it can also protect your PC but their is no real need for a Secure DNS if you use a site advisor , browse under a Sandboxie and have a good security setup for your pc.

Agreed. In most cases, your ISP's DNS is going to be the quickest, so if you're all about browsing speed but feel you need a buffer against rogue sites, a sandboxed browser (Sanboxie, GESWall, BufferZone, etc...) is your best bet.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bo.elam said:
Nortons DNS felt slower, for me, during downloads so I am back with
my ISPs.

The DNS service you are using will have no effect whatsoever on your download speeds.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
HeffeD said:
bo.elam said:
Nortons DNS felt slower, for me, during downloads so I am back with
my ISPs.

The DNS service you are using will have no effect whatsoever on your download speeds.
I downloaded yesterday a bunch of files from different sites(Rapidshare
and others alike) and my speed, during downloads, felt a little slower
than how it felt on previous months when I was using CCloud or now
when I am using my ISPs.
Browsing speed felt the same using CCloud, Norton or my ISP. I dont
know, maybe its just that it was Sunday and too many people using
Rapidshare but good to know that download speed is not affected by
the DNS service we are using, only browsing speed is.

Bo

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I would've expected to see more servers from a huge company like Symantec:)

ndns-img02.jpg

I'm using my ISP DNS since it provides the highest speed.

Note : I've added a poll so please vote! :shy:

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
My network providers use their own in-house dns system, so i have switched to Google Public DNS. It's not a security minded DNS but it gets the job done and they have a lot of servers in Europe.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I stopped using other DNS services about a month ago.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.