Advice Request Which is the best third party Driver update program?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Probably been mentioned but there has been a security issue (again) with NVIDIA graphics drivers, updated yesterday, one driver I feel should be updated - Dumo did a good job with three others too I felt were needed some others not needed I felt

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Be careful with Windows Updates drivers. Yesterday it decided to update the keyboard driver on my wife's laptop and ended up completely locking me out of Windows as the keyboard stopped responding.

it required a rollback to a previous restoration point. Fortunately, I always have a Windows installation disk around.

BTW even the worst driver utilities never quite managed to lock me out of Windows as Windows itself did :)

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
I have been using Driver Booster for some time. Currently Driver Booster 8 Pro. Some functions are very useful, for instance, the Ignored updates for particular drivers. I had to ignore an update of the Bluetooth driver because it does work on my old laptop. So I added it to the Ignored List so that it won't scan that driver for updates.

nefty1029

Level 1
Verified
Mar 13, 2018
My rule of thumb is that for laptops or prebuilt desktops that are manufactured within 1-2 years, just download the drivers from the OEM's website, since manufacturers usually supports the device for at least 2 years which is also the duration of its warranty.

It is only recommended to use Third party driver updates on devices that are unsupported by manufacturers, which can be seen when the drivers provided by the manufacturers on their site are more than 2 years old.

I would recommend Snappy Driver Installer Origin since it seems comprehensive and accurate. Keep in mind that the full download can take at least 22 GB of space due to the driver packs that it downloads.

Reactions: Cortex and roger_m

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
My rule of thumb is that for laptops or prebuilt desktops that are manufactured within 1-2 years, just download the drivers from the OEM's website, since manufacturers usually supports the device for at least 2 years which is also the duration of its warranty.

It is only recommended to use Third party driver updates on devices that are unsupported by manufacturers, which can be seen when the drivers provided by the manufacturers on their site are more than 2 years old.

I would recommend Snappy Driver Installer Origin since it seems comprehensive and accurate. Keep in mind that the full download can take at least 22 GB of space due to the driver packs that it downloads.
Finding drivers esp for newish PC's probably isn't an issue, a driver updater is useful to check if a driver actually needs updating in moments - As in recently a few times with Nvidea security issues without visiting sites with many graphics & info on new cards among others - I'm pretty sure I haven't ever seen driver packs of 22 GIG in my lifetime?

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi, I use Driver Booster Pro, I don't rely on it 100%, I check the Acer website also, and if it checks out, then I use it sometimes, but never for graphics & chipset. :) ;) (y)

Reactions: roger_m and Cortex

nefty1029

Level 1
Verified
Mar 13, 2018
Finding drivers esp for newish PC's probably isn't an issue, a driver updater is useful to check if a driver actually needs updating in moments - As in recently a few times with Nvidea security issues without visiting sites with many graphics & info on new cards among others - I'm pretty sure I haven't ever seen driver packs of 22 GIG in my lifetime?
Basically, the programs use 52 driver packs, with each driver pack for different pc components, such as network, graphic cards, touchpad, etc. The advantage is that once the initial driver pack are downloaded, the software can be used offline, since it is a portable program. This is useful to run on PCs that are not connected to the internet.

In my case I just put the files in an external Hard drive and run it on any newly reformatted PC from my office. That way, I do not need to redownload any driver packs and at the same time saving time updating the drivers of the PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m and Cortex

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I tested several, and in the end a stay just with SUMO, for me is the best and more reliable.

Attachments

• 1602425731519.png
    1602425731519.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: Cortex

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Lashed out on Dumo, looks pretty good, a couple of items I'm going to update but not all, simple interface & doesn't try to take over your PC like IOBIT - Really dislike their software system.
I use Iobit Drive Booster when needed because it's been the most reliable for me. But it is indeed the devil. Why I am happy with Hibit Startup Monitor to alert of all the startup junk it throws in.

Reactions: Cortex and roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
While I generally use other driver updaters, I prefer to use the Lite Version of SDI to the full version, as it doesn't included any drivers. Individual drivers are download when needed.

The Lite Version is just 5.1MB in size and the first time it's launched, needs to download about 16MB of index files.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I use Driver Booster. A feature that I like is that it lets me install network drivers when offline.
If you would like to have the latest drivers, then it is highly recommended to go for it.
Drivers can be always installed offline, with or without tool.

Just download it before

Reactions: roger_m and Thales

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.