Advice Request Which is the best third party uninstaller?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Frankly, none of them can give 100% cleaning (even paid ones) and by that I mean also removing remnant folders and stubborn registry entries. Examples are NordVPN, SAntivirus etc. FYI, SAntivirus is an unwanted program installed on users' computers without their knowledge (usually by other software bundles). For simple program they perform excellently.

You'll need additional software to carry out the latter for a thorough cleaning. SAntivirus is a good example. It also has PUP entries. Without removing the PUPs you cannot remove the registry entries. I got hit by it recently. As for NordVPN you'll need to remove its tap driver otherwise you cannot remove its registry entries.

Uninstalling software is fine. Removing remnant folders manually is still ok but stubborn registry entries even with their advanced cleaning method fails miserably. Some comes with snapshot/tracking feature for better cleaning.

Just choose Revo Uninstaller Pro or some popular uninstaller is fine. Or else choose one from below

Last edited:

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
1.Soft Organizer 2. Revo 3. Iobit These 3 are very good,Iobit gets flagged as a pup by some Av's(malwarebytes and Gdata are two that I know of),it also has pop ups for other programs,but is along with these others useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Based on my experience, Total Uninstall is the best. I tested just about every uninstaller and Total Uninstall stands out.

It creates snapshots before and after installing software, so that is had a record of every file and registry key created during the install. It uses this data to be able to remove all traces of programs when uninstalling them. It's not cheap, but it works very well.

Most uninstallers launch a program's regular uninstaller and afterwards, do a scan to find remaining files and registry keys. The problem with this approach is that often they miss some files and registry keys. This is a big issue with security software (but doesn't matter too much for most other software), as often there are leftover drivers which are still loaded whenever you boot and these will always be missed when scanning for leftovers. This is why uninstallers like Total Uninstall and Revo Pro, which create snapshots, or uninstallers which actually monitor what changes an installer makes (e.g. Comodo Programs Manager, IObit Uninstaller Pro), are much better.

While Revo is an excellent uninstaller which you'll see recommended here very regularly, I feel that the snapshot function in the paid Pro version does not work anywhere near as well as in Total Uninstall.

However, if you just want an uninstaller which scans for leftovers, both IObit Uninstaller and Revo, are excellent. I prefer IObit as it has a batch uninstall mode, which lets you uninstall a number of programs and scan for leftovers, one after the other, which is very handy if you ever want to remove a number of programs. Also, unlike Revo and other similar uninstallers, it can scan for leftovers after rebooting. Some people avoid IObit software because of their past history with Malwarebytes and say that there software is terrible. But this simply not true for their uninstaller. It works very well, has more features than Revo and does a comparable job of finding leftovers.

The Pro version of IObit, is now able to automatically monitor some installations and keep a record of what files and registry keys were created. But at the moment, it can't monitor all installers, meaning that some installations won't get monitored. So for now, I feel that using an uninstall which creates snapshots is the best option.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I use IOBIT cause it has a lot of giveaways from time to time. I have nothing to complain about it (but i block all its connections trough firewall cause i don't trust iobit that much)

I would use REVO but the full version is paid...

Never tried Soft Organizer

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Based on my experience, Total Uninstall is the best. I tested just about every uninstaller and Total Uninstall stands out.

It creates snapshots before and after installing software, so that is had a record of every file and registry key created during the install. It uses this data to be able to remove all traces of programs when uninstalling them. It's not cheap, but it works very well.

Most uninstallers launch a program's regular uninstaller and afterwards, do a scan to find remaining files and registry keys. The problem with this approach is that often they miss some files and registry keys. This is a big issue with security software (but doesn't matter too much for most other software), as often there are leftover drivers which are still loaded whenever you boot and these will always be missed when scanning for leftovers. This is why uninstallers like Total Uninstall and Revo Pro, which create snapshots, or uninstallers which actually monitor what changes an installer makes (e.g. Comodo Programs Manager, IObit Uninstaller Pro), are much better.

While Revo is an excellent uninstaller which you'll see recommended here very regularly, I feel that the snapshot function in the paid Pro version does not work anywhere near as well as in Total Uninstall.

However, if you just want an uninstaller which scans for leftovers, both IObit Uninstaller and Revo, are excellent. I prefer IObit as it has a batch uninstall mode, which lets you uninstall a number of programs and scan for leftovers, one after the other, which is very handy if you ever want to remove a number of programs. Also, unlike Revo and other similar uninstallers, it can scan for leftovers after rebooting. Some people avoid IObit software because of their past history with Malwarebytes and say that there software is terrible. But this simply not true for their uninstaller. It works very well, has more features than Revo and does a comparable job of finding leftovers.

The Pro version of IObit, is now able to automatically monitor some installations and keep a record of what files and registry keys were created. But at the moment, it can't monitor all installers, meaning that some installations won't get monitored. So for now, I feel that using an uninstall which creates snapshots is the best option.

Yeah. Iobit doesn't seem to automatically detect all installations. It worth noting, however, that the user can manually initiate the monitor by opening Iobit Uninstaller > going to install monitor > you can see an option to add the setup file

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Yeah. Iobit doesn't seem to automatically detect all installations. It worth noting, however, that the user can manually initiate the monitor by opening Iobit Uninstaller > going to install monitor > you can see an option to add the setup file
Yes you can, but even that won't work for anything, as for example it can't yet monitor installers which you a .msi file. It's the same if the installer has a .msi file extension, or if the installer is an exe file which runs a .msi file.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
advanced uninstaller pro. it says pro, but it is a free program. it will monitor installations for you with system snapshots and comparisons. this is a slow process, but ... you can speed it up by changing the settings for the monitor, by de-selecting the monitoring of the entire drive. just leave it to monitor the registry and ini files.

and it has a leftover scanner as well.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Revo is the uninstaller that I've stuck by. I've tried others and Soft Organiser is my second favourite. Both do a pretty good job of removing associated files, but as noted above by others here they are not 100% reliable at clearing up everything, particularly files associated with security software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.