• Start date

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Don't have a real favorite of anything when it comes to security. They all have their own weaknesses and strengths. The ones that I hold a high opinion of however is Comodo Firewall (great tweaking and customization as well as enough tools to take it far above most firewalls such as sandboxing and HIPS), ZoneAlarm is good however on my computer it slows my internet down a bit (haven't seen similar results on my older computers - most likely a system specific issue), Privatefirewall (works on all Windows OS from XP to 10 and I regard it as good as Comodo Firewall).

Those are the free ones. If Privatefirewall runs on your system well, I recommend it over the others. Sometimes it can be a pain.

For paid (I realize that is not what you asked for), my tops picks are Norton Firewall, Kaspersky Firewall, G Data Firewall (can be very aggressive on high settings but I love that), and Agnitium Firewall (also aggressive on high settings).

My real favorite firewall was Online Armor (both free and paid) but sadly it is discontinued... so I no longer have a true favorite. It had pretty much everything you need and more. Even has whitelisting for it's HIPS which was regularly updated to avoid being asked too many questions.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
For me, I still believe the default windows firewall does it job, just as it says on the tint. Sure no bells and whistles but then again since when was a firewall designed to have bells and whistles to begin with?

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
For me, I still believe the default windows firewall does it job, just as it says on the tint. Sure no bells and whistles but then again since when was a firewall designed to have bells and whistles to begin with?
Then it should be specified what kind of "firewall" package is required. I'm afraid firewall nowadays is more of an umbrella term: It generally refers to HIPS (prevents host intrusions by monitoring system activity), network firewall (prevents network intrusions by monitoring network traffic), sometimes also a behavior analysis/blocking component, etc

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
My favorite free firewall is Windows Firewall.
As many advanced members said it's doing a good job.
Now another favorite but not free is Norton Firewall,strong and effective and offers good outbound protection
which WF doesn't have.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Then it should be specified what kind of "firewall" package is required. I'm afraid firewall nowadays is more of an umbrella term: It generally refers to HIPS ("application firewall"), network firewall, etc
Correct. Nowadays people forgo the base definition of Firewall.
In its core: a firewall monitors and controls the incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules.
The above is how you can summarize the meaning of a firewall.
Ill compose a guide/article on firewalls for educational purposes shortly

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my view favoritism binds on overall package contents alongside of performance and reliability hence Comodo Firewall as 3rd party is the choice, but in other side for simplicity and lesser configuration Windows Firewall + other tiny tools to enhance the power capabilities.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.