Which laptop brand do you use? [POLL]

Which laptop brand(s) do you use? [max 2 choices]

• Total voters

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I use a ASUS ROG gaming laptop as my Windows machine as well as of course for my games and I use it when I'm home. This laptop stays home at all times. It is a little over a year old and is still going strong. Never had an issue yet. (y)

I use a 2017 Apple MacBook Pro 15 inch touchbar laptop for college even tho we mostly focus on Windows & Linux in my program! I take my MacBook to college everyday with me. Just got this a few weeks ago. So far so good. First time using MacOS. :)

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
a. What laptop brand do you currently use?
My current laptop is an HP laptop, but I have an old Acer netbook.

b. How long have you been using the brand?
HP: using this for almost three years now.
Acer: used it for five years.

c. What do you think is good about your brand?

HP: hardware quality
Acer: meh (read below)

d. What do you think is bad about your brand?

HP: Not-so-good OEM software support (compatibility) for non-flagship laptops
Acer: hardware quality (broken screen after a year). It's a netbook, so I would constantly complain about its sluggishness (In fairness, though, this isn't limited to Acer's).

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
I use laptop Brand HP Zbook 15 g3
I prefer laptops series
HP Zbook 15 g3 or 17
HP EliteBook 840 g4
Lenovo Thinkpad T470
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon
Lenovo Thinkpad P50 or P70

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

2017 Apple MacBook Pro 15 inch touchbar laptop

LOL Apple and their names. "Magical 2018 Super Turbo Pro Series Military Grade Laptop".. Everyone knows adding 'Pro' makes everything better. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, it's all about models not brands. Lenovo in general sucks. You can un-suck some of their laptops with upgrades, but the Carbon X1's are nice. Acer I don't like EXCEPT a particular Chromebook they offer which is one of the best Sub-$800 Chromebook. But yeah, it's all about your budget, features you need and model, rather than brand.

For example ASUS ROG might come out with a killer gaming laptop, then ruin it with a TN Panel so that makes a particular year ASUS suck... But the next year the same line has IPS displays and works great, so that makes that model good.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
LOL Apple and their names. "Magical 2018 Super Turbo Pro Series Military Grade Laptop".. Everyone knows adding 'Pro' makes everything better. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, it's all about models not brands. Lenovo in general sucks. You can un-suck some of their laptops with upgrades, but the Carbon X1's are nice. Acer I don't like EXCEPT a particular Chromebook they offer which is one of the best Sub-$800 Chromebook. But yeah, it's all about your budget, features you need and model, rather than brand.

For example ASUS ROG might come out with a killer gaming laptop, then ruin it with a TN Panel so that makes a particular year ASUS suck... But the next year the same line has IPS displays and works great, so that makes that model good.

I get your point. Yes my MacBook has a way better display than my ASUS TN panel. I am not some kind of Apple fam boy either. I have not bought a laptop in over a year. My ASUS still runs perfectly fine.

My MacBook Pro was a gift. Yes the touchbar is a gimmick but I never use it. I don't think as a student I could afford a $4500 CAD laptop like my MacBook. I'm not going to be ungrateful. It's an opportunity to learn MacOS instead of hating on it. I'm actually enjoying it. It's only ever going to help me out in the IT world when I run into users using Macs.

My previous laptops were both Acer. Absolutely awful. Tons of issues. Motherboard failing, battery failing, power button not working, etc.

My MacBook actually is faster than my ASUS. It beats it in everything except the GPU. My MacBook is lighter, way better battery, faster CPU, SSD, better screen, looks more sleek. My college is full of MacBooks. It's really popular amoung students. I am enjoying learning how to use MacOS and completing my school assignments on it.

Chromebooks won't it as an IT student. We use VMware all the time and stuff. I need a pretty powerful laptop that can run multiple at once especially for our Windows Server class.

I do agree though that yes Apple products are pretty much a fashion acessory these days. But I'm enjoying my MacBook.

Last edited:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I think laptops are like mobile phones and tablets. I have a couple (Dell and Acer), but they do have a finite lifetime, and then are disposable. No point in spending extra, just get what you need. I also had a few business grade laptops provided by my employer. No love for them, but they were rugged, and usually got the job done.

If you want longevity, repairability, and upgrade capability, buy or build a decent desktop. :)

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
a)HP
b) Just about 3 months or so. I have another laptop from another brand, which is gone now, but the laptop is still doing great except the dead battery.
c) First and foremost is that HP has reasonable price tags, and where I live there are a lot of authorised service centres of HP, so that also counts as a positive for me.
d) It's too soon to talk about it's negatives as it has been only a few months and I haven't encountered any issues yet.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Chromebooks won't it as an IT student. We use VMware all the time and stuff. I need a pretty powerful laptop that can run multiple at once especially for our Windows Server class.

I do agree though that yes Apple products are pretty much a fashion acessory these days. But I'm enjoying my MacBook.

Apple has great displays. The only thing better IMO are OLED displays on newer Lenovos and some Chromebooks (Samsung) Chromebook would suck for IT, no question about that! But I am surprised they want you to use MacOS for IT courses. Windows gives you much more flexibility and in the IT business 90-95% of everything you touch these days will be of the x86 architecture.

I agree on Battery, I can pull 17 hours on my Chromebooks, MBP's have strong batteries.. Windows laptops always seem to choke on battery life.

You'll find MacOS pretty easy if you want Unix/Linux experience. Just learning their little nuances like Time Machine, etc. Nothing too crazy. We handled IT for Dyson, they used MacOS, so they purchased my firm a top end MBP so our techs could learn it. So we all basically got to learn it compliments of Dyson. Beggars can't be choosers, right?

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
a. What laptop brand do you currently use? Nothing
b. How long have you been using the brand? Zero years
c. What do you think is good about your brand? Nothing
d. What do you think is bad about your brand? Everything :cry:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Nevi

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Windows laptops always seem to choke on battery life.

You'll find MacOS pretty easy if you want Unix/Linux experience. Just learning their little nuances like Time Machine, etc. Nothing too crazy. We handled IT for Dyson, they used MacOS, so they purchased my firm a top end MBP so our techs could learn it. So we all basically got to learn it compliments of Dyson. Beggars can't be choosers, right?
Apple really has double the capacity of normal Windows laptops. I was able to get consistent best battery life 8-10hrs. If I switch to ethernet, I can get 12-13 hrs on my laptop. I used ThrottleStop, switched ON Speedshift, disabled EIST, turbo and C1E at Windows only.
Speedshift really works providing great performance and battery life.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.