Which laptop brand do you use? [POLL]

Which laptop brand(s) do you use? [max 2 choices]

• Total voters

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
a. What laptop brand do you currently use?
I currently use Lenovo at home and work, I have used asus and msi in the past.
b. How long have you been using the brand?
1 year, the other brands 2+
c. What do you think is good about your brand?
The msi and asus I feel have better screens.
d. What do you think is bad about your brand?
The lenovo that I have feels cheap.

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
I usually enjoy building out my own rig's, but I still buy portable model's. I voted ASUS, because I usually use their x-299/x-399 motherboard's in my build's and they make some exceptional hardware. With that being said let's get down to business.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Upgrading to a ASUS Transformer Pro 3 T304UA; in 3/2018)
2015(3yrs)
2-in-1 Surface Pro/Transformer Pro. It's a great balance between performance, play, and comfort. While being able to be ported anywhere
When it come's to really hardware intensive stuff, its limits are really tested

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Apple has great displays. The only thing better IMO are OLED displays on newer Lenovos and some Chromebooks (Samsung) Chromebook would suck for IT, no question about that! But I am surprised they want you to use MacOS for IT courses. Windows gives you much more flexibility and in the IT business 90-95% of everything you touch these days will be of the x86 architecture.

I agree on Battery, I can pull 17 hours on my Chromebooks, MBP's have strong batteries.. Windows laptops always seem to choke on battery life.

You'll find MacOS pretty easy if you want Unix/Linux experience. Just learning their little nuances like Time Machine, etc. Nothing too crazy. We handled IT for Dyson, they used MacOS, so they purchased my firm a top end MBP so our techs could learn it. So we all basically got to learn it compliments of Dyson. Beggars can't be choosers, right?

I love my MacBook Pros display. It beats the TN panel any day of the week. It is also gets darker, which for me is great cause I hate bright displays as I have pretty sensitive eyes to lighting so it is very helpful when working on homework in the night time. My TN panel just seems very bright in comparison when turned down to the lowest setting.

Yeah the only iMacs in my college are in the graphics design department. Our school is powered by Windows Server and Cisco networking equipment. Which I am both currently learning.

My class is a mix of MacBooks and Windows laptops. What's wrong with an IT guy using a MacBook? Plenty do. I wanted to learn how to use MacOS. I would of used my Windows laptop but the battery is just terrible and the weight is pretty heavy.

I am also learning Linux as well and my Mac actually helps with that since it is also UNIX based so I can just practice my commands natively in the terminal.

I guess you could say I want to be the Jack of all trades! ;)

I use Windows, Linux and MacOS everyday for school.

They don't tell us what to use. We can use whatever OS we want on our personal laptops. I just happened to have chosen a MacBook.

At the end of the day I get all my homework and studying done using it and it has been just fine. My program is heavily focused around Windows and Linux. We don't touch MacOS at all. Since I got a MacBook as a gift I decided to use it for school. I got my Windows machine at home if I really need to use Windows for something.

Macs also have the reputation of being very reliable and they will usually outlast a Windows laptop. They are probably popular among students because they are reliable and you are less prone to viruses so you're at less risk of losing your school work.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Currently running two Lenovo laptops, one with Linux and one with Win10.

Since 2015.

I'd say it's the price. I think Lenovo laptops are usually more affordable compared to other brands' models with the same or similar config.

Never had any issues so far, to be honest.
But they had some sins in the past worth mentioning, for example Superfish controversy.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Probably because the OS is optimized to the hardware. Like Sony's phones last as long a other android phones with a smaller battery.
Not at all. If you see their battery specs its marginally large and pull less voltage 11.1V(optimal value for long battery shelf life and usage). Also, they have auto switch of power plans on AC/battery. On W10 there isn't, although you use PowerSwitcher UWP app to accomplish that. I simply gained 3-4hrs of extra battery by switching to Power saver and turned off AlienFX. I used Balanced mode with 6hrs of runtime with wifi on 92Wh battery, now it can last 10-12hrs on single charge with 20% left. Well, switching to eth and disabling wifi and BT gives an hour or two.

Iapepe

Level 10
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Dell Inspiron 15 5567 + W10
Since 2017.
Warranty, robust and durable.
-

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
HP Omen 15 Gaming Laptop 15_ce019dx
Pros: Runs Great For my needs
Responsiveness same as my I7 Desktop
(laptop specs are Intel I7 7700HQ, Intel Graphics UHD 630, and Nvidia 1050TI 4gb, 128gb NVME Samsung SSD, and 1tb storage drive included, NO CD/DVD Writer or Blu-ray (oh well)
(Desktop right now 1050 2gb) (so a bit better than Desktop)
Keyboard and screen look great for my needs

Cons:
Gets a bit warm while gaming, but that is to be expected with a laptop I feel
Driver support stopped by HP after less than a year of ownership, Purchased December 24th 2018, Occasionally a new bios update, and such, but not many new drivers in a while, can't install updated Intel video drivers was won't take them, but still have with the laptop, still meets my needs perfectly

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Driver support stopped by HP after less than a year of ownership, Purchased December 24th 2018, Occasionally a new bios update, and such, but not many new drivers in a while
Pretty much all manufacturers stop providing driver updates within about 6 months to a year of a laptop being released. There are some exceptions to this, such as some business laptops.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I got my New Acer Aspire 3 instead of HP because I wanted to upgrade RAM and SSD.
You need to disassemble other products but Acer solved this problem. HDD/SSD and RAM have easily removable cover.

Acer_Aspire_3_A315_21_Ansicht6.jpg

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Acer solved this problem. HDD/SSD and RAM have easily removable cover.
They didn't solve anything. It used to be standard on all laptops, that the hard drive and RAM were easily accessible. But increasingly, that is not the case.

On my HP ProBooks the whole bottom cover slides off (without unscrewing any screws), giving me easy access to storage and the fan. I can unscrew the fan, making it very easy to remove dust from the vent. I will never buy a laptop on which the fan is not easily accessible.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
a. What laptop brand do you currently use? Lenovo G770 with Intel I3. 8 GB RAM. SSD.

b. How long have you been using the brand? My laptop is 5 years old. My Asus PC is 3 months.

c. What do you think is good about your brand? It has just been spinning from the day I got it.

d. What do you think is bad about your brand? Nothing really.

Reactions: Venustus

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
a. What laptop brand do you currently use? Acer
b. How long have you been using the brand? 7 years (basically both my first 2 laptops)
c. What do you think is good about your brand? Good hardware at cheap price
d. What do you think is bad about your brand? The materials are bad, at least for laptops around 500 euros. My first laptop's screen broke up (it works if connected to another monitor). Sent to acer, they asked me a huge price for repair, so I bought a new acer laptop (this time with SSD, but I may try to repair the old one on my own if I have time). This one has started to flicker sometimes immediatly after you press the ON button, and only at that time (I hope it's not related to the screen again, but found on another forum someone with a similar issue, and looks related to something else).

Good hardware quality but bad materials and cheap price

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.