Which laptop brand(s) do you use? [max 2 choices]

• Total voters

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Which one will be more reliable an Asus Rog one or Thinkpad E series one. I want the laptop to last at least five years.
I wouldn't buy either. The ThinkPad T, W and X series offer very good quality, while the E and other series don't offer the same quality.

What sort of specs do you need?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Which one will be more reliable an Asus Rog one or Thinkpad E series one. I want the laptop to last at least five years.
it depends on the users too
my friend bought laptops from many brands and none of them last more than 1 year because the way he uses them
I bought laptop from Acer, HP and Toshiba. All of them last 7-10 years already

if you optimize it properly and clean the dust every 1 to 1.5 year, it will last long regardless of the brand
however, thinner laptop tends to be more vulnerable and more difficult to repair than thicker ones. They can overheat more easily -> won't last as long (in theory)

in my opinion, you should buy laptops that:
- easily upgradable: at least 2 ram slots, extra M2 slot
- has the best GPU for the cheapest price
- Newer CPU generation is welcome, but it's not always better than the previous gen. Sometimes the newer gen is worse
- easily repairable
- thick = better heat distribution, much easier to repair and replace
- the laptop doesn't have widespread hardware issues (Alienware in the past has serious soundcard failure, Asus's screen and charging port failure,...)

Last edited:

SUPRA

Level 3
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
it depends on the users too
my friend bought laptops from many brands and none of them last more than 1 year because the way he uses them
I bought laptop from Acer, HP and Toshiba. All of them last 7-10 years already

if you optimize it properly and clean the dust every 1 to 1.5 year, it will last long regardless of the brand
however, thinner laptop tends to be more vulnerable and more difficult to repair than thicker ones. They can overheat more easily -> won't last as long (in theory)

in my opinion, you should buy laptops that:
- easily upgradable: at least 2 ram slots, extra M2 slot
- has the best GPU for the cheapest price
- Newer CPU generation is welcome, but it's not always better than the previous gen. Sometimes the newer gen is worse
- easily repairable
- thick = better heat distribution, much easier to repair and replace
- the laptop doesn't have widespread hardware issues (Alienware in the past has serious soundcard failure, Asus's screen and charging port failure,...)
Yeah that's correct my core 2 duo laptop by dell which is 9 years old is still running. Thank you for your detailed explanation.

I wouldn't buy either. The ThinkPad T, W and X series offer very good quality, while the E and other series don't offer the same quality.

What sort of specs do you need?

I need a cpu that will last at least 5 years. I basically watch online contents, photoshop editing and learning web development also in future I will like to edit 1080p videos. The Asus one has i5 9th gen with gtx 1050 not ti and the Thinkpad one has amd ryzen 3500u with vega 8 graphics.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@SUPRA
I need a cpu that will last at least 5 years. I basically watch online contents, photoshop editing and learning web development also in future I will like to edit 1080p videos. The Asus one has i5 9th gen with gtx 1050 not ti and the Thinkpad one has amd ryzen 3500u with vega 8 graphics.
What is your budget?

Reactions: stefanos

SUPRA

Level 3
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
I suggest having a look at HP's ProBook series of laptops. I currently own two of them and am very happy with the quality.

On some models it is easier to remove the fan to give you access to the vent on the laptop to remove accumulated dust, than others.
Okay but HP laptops get pretty hot because my friend have one and I have seen that happening...so how about this series?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Okay but HP laptops get pretty hot because my friend have one and I have seen that happening...so how about this series?
Just because one laptop from a brand gets hot, does not mean that every model will. My ProBooks and other HP laptops don't get hot, but there are many different models of them, so I can't answer that question. If there a a model you like, have a look at reviews for it.

If a laptop gets hot, usually it is due to a buildup of dust between the fan and vent on the side of the laptop. I remove the fan on my main laptop, to clean dust from the vent, every few months.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have 2 HP's, pretty good finish & pleased but as I'm 60 & use contact lenses & lose my reading glasses continually, I'm getting to the point where I miss my 28 inch display so use of laptops is dwindling. Both my sons have MacBooks & they are a delight such things as a decent charge magnetic plug etc but refuse to pay for such devices with soldered in RAM & none up-gradable drives etc, bu that's how things are & will get worse? I still have a 200 year old DELL Latitude that's bullet proof & can't throw it away.

Reactions: Venustus and SUPRA

SUPRA

Level 3
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Thank you for all your replies but what I noticed is the Lenovo e495 value for money because it has ryzen 3500u with integrated graphics, 4 gb ddr4 2400mhz ram and 256 gb nvme ssd and 14 inch ips display priced at almost 800$ with tax in my country, at the same price point Asus is offering fx505dt tuf with ryzen 3500h and 1660 graphics also it has 8gb ddr4 2400mhz, 512gb nvme ssd display is ips level written and of 15.6 inch the price for this laptop is high but on a recent Amazon sale it came down to 800$.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I am a big fan of ThinkPad laptop for its durability and fantastic keyboard experience.
Me too. I've owned a number of ThinkPads and still have some. Currently I prefer my HP ProBooks. They also have good keyboards and build quality and the whole bottom cover slides off, for easy access to the RAM, storage and fan.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
The new HPs with the "Sure's" are really really good.

You'd have to bump your budget a little... you have to go to the premium HP laptops... just find an HP that has 'Sure Sense'.... and then look at all the other "Sure's" -- those are really good tools. They can assist in recovery from most things..

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
a. What laptop brand do you currently use? Apple.
b. How long have you been using the brand? Seven years, I think?
c. What do you think is good about your brand? The trackpad. No one makes trackpads like Apple. Easy backup and transfer of apps from old unit to new via Time Machine.
d. What do you think is bad about your brand? No touchscreen (not that I use it much on a regular computer), parts are not user replaceable.

forensicfun327

Sep 24, 2019
a.)
i'm currently running (total) 3 laptops: two MSI gaming laptops and an Packard Bell (older average model with i5 and GT540M, discontinued by manufacturer).

b.)
bought my MSI laptops about 3-4 years ago. I bought my Packard Bell in the year 2009.

c.)
MSI seems to have a quite good reputation here on popular german gamer/computer boards: their gaming laptops
are offering a very good gaming performane. On the other side the price for this performance sems to be quite fair/very good.
I had no problems at all (so far) with my msi machines: running one of them as desktop replacement (MSI GE60, i7,
GTX 860M, SSD, 15 inch). Also my Packard Bell is still running fine: no problems at all.

d.)
i'm very satisfied with my two MSI gaming laptops (no problems at all) and also my Packard Bell was running fine all
the time... ...so based on my personal experience i would recommend MSI and Packard Bell: nothing bad about my brands.

BTW:
here is my second gaming laptop (MSI GT72, i7, GTX 970M, SSD with 250GB, HDD with 1TB) on malwaretips.com:
System Specs - Gaming-Laptop: MSI-GT72-2QD (GTX970M, i7)

I have an MSI laptop and I'm kinda screwed with the stupid battery issue, where the battery won't charge, even if you attempt the "battery conditioning" process. Really makes me mad.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.