Advice Request Which Linux Antivirus in 2022? (Paid is fine, doesn't have to be free!)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
I'm running Linux Mint 20.3 and looking for an AntiVirus.
The reason is I trade A LOT of files between Linux and Windows, both my machines and other people.
I'm trying to avoid Malware that might affect my Linux machine (although considered highly unlikely, there is Linux malware out there) and Viruses/Malware that might affect the Windows machines with whom I trade files with.

What I've seen so far:
  • ClamAV: I don't work well with the interface and would rather avoid it.
  • ESET NOD32: I was considering it but just saw on their website they are dropping Linux Desktop support this year (link and another link).
  • Sophos: As I understand already dropped support some time ago. Am I wrong? It seems I can still download it from their webpage, but thought is was about to lose support or already had lost it...
  • Comodo: no idea how they are or what their plans for the future are. Anyone recommends this?
  • Dr.Web Security Space for Linux: Apparently there's also this one which I had never head of before. Can anyone say if this is any good?
There are probably other options out there that I'm not aware of, could you please let me know what they are and if they're any good?
Thank you!

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo: no idea how they are or what their plans for the future are. Anyone recommends this?
Might be discontinued lately , it appears on discontinued products @ comodo forums

But you might get paid option, eset nod or f secure if youre working with many files. As user wich installs the computer at once and only updates software and never downloads anything im not feeling i need antivirus on linux at all myself

Reactions: SpectacularTheDude

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Thank you for the replies for far.
I'll try to find out more information on the Dr Web for Linux AntiVirus.
I'll also search a bit more to find out ways to harden my Linux security.

Reactions: Moonhorse

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thank you for the replies for far.
I'll try to find out more information on the Dr Web for Linux AntiVirus.
I'll also search a bit more to find out ways to harden my Linux security.
File exchanges from linux to windows have a certain risk factor because linux does not use the mark-of-the-web system. So when those files that you downloaded on linux are opened on windows, they don't trigger the windows smartscreen defense. The workaround is to use Andy Ful's run by smartscreen tool.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
Are you installing software from other sources except the repositories? If no, than you don’t have to have an av installed. Iframes, exploits etc that you can encounter browsing the web on a windows based pc are not working on linux, so the risk of getting infected is minimized. Don’t get me wrong, i’m not a linux expert, i started using linux probably 2 months ago, but from all the reviews, tips and tricks, howto’s i’ve watched, at least 90% of them were saying that an av is unnecesary on linux.

P.S. this is my opinion as a standard home linux user. If you are doing something else than disregard this message.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.