Battle Which Linux based desktop you prefer and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
As we all know, there are many Linux Distros available.

Many of those come with different Desktop flavours.

From a beginner to an intermediate user point of view, which Desktops you prefer and why?

Thanks,

PS: I completely forgot about 2 more desktops:

Openbox and LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment).

P

Plexx

Thread author
I will be have my opinions based on the following:

Lightweight only: Xfce and Enlightment (Openbox as well but that was not added to poll)

Lightweight and customizability: Englightment

Unfortunately most of the Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian based Distros are based on KDE and Gnome :(

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
For me, it doesn't matter. But about Unity, I will not touch it.
I find KDE to be the most customizable one.
XFCE is great for old and slow machines... I like Xubuntu

P

Plexx

Thread author
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
For me, it doesn't matter. But about Unity, I will not touch it.
I find KDE to be the most customizable one.
XFCE is great for old and slow machines... I like Xubuntu

SalineOS also uses Xfce and is also a good Distro tho it is based on Debian :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since I use Puppy Linux which uses the default based desktop: Openbox

Perhaps the simplicity is the one I liked it. ;)

P

Plexx

Thread author
James, is the OB in Puppy Linux customizable?

I have not yet fired up the Puppy Linux on Virtual. Have quite a few to test run...

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I didn't vote because the poll is too restrictive.

My preference for a 'heavier' desktop is KDE, but if I'm looking for the highest performance, LXDE and XFCE are very close competitors.

Although I lean more towards LXDE, simply for its default looks. (I'm not really into anything more than very basic UI customization. I might change the look of the window borders, but that's it)

P

Plexx

Thread author
I should have added Others in the poll.

Since I am more of a minimalistic user, there are other desktop enviroments I prefer using, those being LXDE (like HeffeD said), Xcfe, Blackbox, Openbox and Enlightment.

I am actually downloading the LXDE version of Ubuntu based distro (Lubuntu).

Been downloading quite a few Distros today and if only I had a faster internet connection...

V

Vextor

Thread author
KDE cause it's highly usable to a beginner and yet a pro can change it so much.
XFCE for slower machines as it uses less resources.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Added LXDE and Openbox to the poll, since Biozfear said that he missed them out.
I'm definitely going for KDE, both in terms of visuals and of quality of the applications created for it.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Ups I completely forgot to edit.

Thanks elliot.

As for KDE, although indeed is good I find it a bit heavy so it is not always my 1st choice. However when there are friends who want to try it and have a good machine, KDE and they won't want to see anything else :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Could someone explain the difference between the ones listed in the poll?

Thanks. :D

P

Plexx

Thread author
Different desktop environments or GUI.
KDE for example is actually the short for K Desktop Environment, which closely resembles up to a point Windows. Most applications have a K on it.

Gnome haven't tried version 3 onwards but version 2 in some distros had two task bars.

Enlightment, Xfce, openbox, fluxbox are extremely light desktop environments focused on minimalistic etc.

On most Desktop Environments listed, the heaviest ones are Gnome and KDE, while KDE is known for its eye candy.

that is the difference in a nutshell.

However HeffeD can give you a more detailed description since he is a more advanced user in Linux.

I basically started with Slackware, moved to Fedora and stopped for quite some time.

Edit: I made a mistake in the above post. Enlightment, Openbox and Flux box are what you call window managers (in terms of MS Windows, the closest I could think is Shells).

while the others are Desktop Environments. HeffeD, correct me if I am wrong.

I do know there are other window managers but been awhile since I seen a distro with it, ie Icewm and Blackbox. I remember a few versions of SuSE had it.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Only one I ever really got attached too and liked was Elementary OS. The other distros I tried (Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora and some others) involved way too much user side "sudo this sudo that sudo sudo sudo sudo..." etc.

How ever not even Elementary OS could win me over, I require Windows too much for my needs as not even Wine could satisfy me, Basically I'm just too used to Windows. I could not bother with making the transition and learning all those Terminal codes required to do basic stuff...

However one of the old PC's in my house (1GB RAM, Intel Pentium, 64MB Video Memory) is running Lubuntu and my little brothers use OpenOffice for their school work on it just fine. :)

As for the terms Gnome, KDE, Enlightment, Xfce, Openbox, LXDE I'm not exactly sure which ones I have tried, I think Lubuntu is running KDE? I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.