Which mobile antivirus do you use ?

• Total voters

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Alright guys, so i wanna see which is your favourite antivirus for Android ? Mine is 360 Security and Dr.Web (already voted). I wanna see which one is your favourite and why ?
Avast Free Antivirus. I mostly use it because of their comprehensive Anti-Theft features, which on the other security developers products can be found only on the paid version.
Overall, it's easy on the battery life and offers strong malware protection. Huge features set. Remote lock, wipe, and alarm. Network Meter and Privacy Advisor. Powerful SMS commands, and most importantly it's free!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It is pretty unlikely you will get a virus on a mobile device unless you were downloading apps that weren't from the market.
Indeed, it's unlikely but not impossible. Malwarebytes has recently posted an article about an infected app which is on the Google Play Store (and this is just the most recent one...not the only one).
Malwarebytes said:
Infected HTML Files Bundled in Android Apps
Computer malware can have a long arms reach, given the right environment. In today’s computing age there are more platforms for malware to crossover and spread, easily latching on to their favorite file hosts.

Recently, we came across some Android apps infected with the VBS file infector Ramnit residing in Google’s Play Store.

File infectors can be very destructive to a victims PC, typically they search the file system for certain file types to infect.

The Ramnit Trojan searches the Windows file system for .exe, .dll, and .html file types to append their malicious code. Each infected file is able to ensure the infection is persistent and capable of spreading to other systems.

ramnit05a-300x123.jpg

How does this affect an Android app? Android apps share common files types that are interpreted by other operating systems such as .txt, .html and image files. You can see how the infection could spread via someone’s development environment–which is most likely what happened here.

These particular apps were published by different developers and have infected HTML files that are part of their functionality, like an ‘About’ page.

The infected apps discovered in the Play Store have the following package names:
com.aviatosystems.ugatalk
com.amd.tebaktimnas
com.amd.menggambar
air.ELA4.A0

Even so, most infections on Android devices occur when users are being redirect from webpages to malicious app, and through social engineer are promoted to install them. Also some of the Android users have the "Unknown sources" set on 'Allow', and the malicious app are easier to install.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've used AV for mobile long time before however due to looping activity where not doing unnecessary stuff then sometimes not needed anymore which differ when PC. ;)

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I recently started using ESET, It's been pretty good so far considering it was the first one I have tried on mobile. I am going to try a few more in the next couple of months just to see if there is anything better than ESET.

Before I used ESET I used Avast which was pretty good, but now that I have tried ESET I can't decide on which one to use : ESET or Avast?

Also when did 360 come out with a mobile antivirus, is it any good?

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Malware Test
Does ESET has free version ?

Yes, Basically you can use it free without some features like automatic updates and so on.

My vote goes to AVAST because of the features and and it is free but from paid one I would choose definitely ESET because it is very light, good amount of features and no issues. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Actually ESET Mobile has a Trial version.After the trial you are required to activate it.On update it will ask for a license once the trial has expired.@Malware Test check your PM

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Malware Test After trial expiration you can still use it (without premium features). I quoted free features of ESET for you ;)

FREE FEATURES
  • Antivirus with 99.7% detection rate
  • Automatic Scan of downloaded applications and files
  • On-demand Scan that you can activate at any time
  • Quarantine where all discovered items reside so they don’t infect you further
  • Anti-Theft activated by SMS commands – Remote Lock, Remote Siren, GPS Location and Remote Wipe
  • Tablet friendly interface
Regards,
Kardo

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
@Malware Test After trial expiration you can still use it (without premium features). I quoted free features of ESET for you ;)

FREE FEATURES
  • Antivirus with 99.7% detection rate
  • Automatic Scan of downloaded applications and files
  • On-demand Scan that you can activate at any time
  • Quarantine where all discovered items reside so they don’t infect you further
  • Anti-Theft activated by SMS commands – Remote Lock, Remote Siren, GPS Location and Remote Wipe
  • Tablet friendly interface
Regards,
Kardo
Funny how they say they have 99.7% detection rate, probably hoping people would think that by buying their premium they would get 100% :p

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I use 360 Security, free, lightweight, powerful, included anti-theft (alarm, cell blocks, erase data and finds the phone),cleaner useless files (cache, empty folders, etc), memory cleaner, SMS and Call blocker, App Manager, used data checker. All this free. ;)

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Funny how they say they have 99.7% detection rate, probably hoping people would think that by buying their premium they would get 100% :p

Hehe xD, actually detection varies from time to time. Probably they took this detection rate from some AV test. :)

Regards,
Kardo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.