Battle Which mobile security package has most effective anti-theft?

D

Deleted member 178

What if they dont wipe the device? maybe they are noob...
All is possible, i tested some anti-theft features, there is only 2 features worth using : remote wipe and geolocalisation.
Geolocalisation is imprecise and barely usable in populated area...go look for it in a 500 people building lol.

So basically, if you lose or get your phone stolen, unless the law enforcement are very free and cooperative, make peace with yourself and go buy a new one.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
All is possible, i tested some anti-theft features, there is only 2 features worth using : remote wipe and geolocalisation.
Geolocalisation is imprecise and barely usable in populated area...go look for it in a 500 people building lol.

So basically, if you lose or get your phone stolen, unless the law enforcement are very free and cooperative, make peace with yourself and go buy a new one.
i am concerned more about my data (videos-pictures-etc) i want to easily erase them remotely ??

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
All the above have an extensive array of anti-theft features. It's difficult to choose. One feature that i found quite interesting concerning anti-theft comes from Bitdefender. Where, when your phone is lost, you can turn the microphone on, secretly, record and listen to what is happening around. ;)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
What if someone has locked the files with password?
Password alone is useless if you want to protect yourself. A skilled attacker or thief can get inside easily. Password and heavy encryption will give you protection :oops: For example, instead of using the provided password manager in your phone's browser, use a third password manager.

They get your phone. You've been watching all sorts of nasty thinks on it, well, no problem, at least you know your passwords and sensitive datas are secured. Some phones also offer some other ways of protecting your datas. An example would be samsung's secure folder.

You combine all of that with a security software and its anti-theft features, and you make the life of a thief more complicated.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Others: Monthly security patches provided by Google Project Zero are superior to anything else. Good luck getting a phone that gets regular updates other than Pixel and iPhone.

Reactions: DDE_Server

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Th
All the above have an extensive array of anti-theft features. It's difficult to choose. One feature that i found quite interesting concerning anti-theft comes from Bitdefender. Where, when your phone is lost, you can turn the microphone on, secretly, record and listen to what is happening around. ;)
This is an interesting feature

Reactions: spaceoctopus

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Just so everyone's aware, Google just changed their permission's policy to only allow the default SMS or assistant handler the use of the SMS permissions group. Companies can request an exception to the above policy if their app "provides a highly compelling or critical feature where there is currently no alternative method to provide the feature". Web UI anti-theft is the obvious alternative to SMS-based anti-theft and is already widely used by many AV vendors.

So for everyone discussing anti-theft here, just be mindful that your SMS anti-theft is probably about to go kaput.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.