Battle Which one I install on my friends Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Hello,Mt friend have buy new laptop Sony Vaio and he got deal free avast IS one year license he also buy one yera license of eset along with it and now he is in confusion to install either of this two.
He will use his laptop for downloading video and images so he want good speed and light machine.
Which one he should install?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For me I would go for Avast since its a user friendly and even novice user can handle it well. The effectiveness of the settings from default is great too.

Also NIS can be a great suite too for your friend but since he has one year license then go for Avast.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
D-ONE said:
Hello,Mt friend have buy new laptop Sony Vaio and he got deal free avast IS one year license he also buy one yera license of eset along with it and now he is in confusion to install either of this two.

Honestly,i wont provide my opinion neither would vote as i still think avast and eset are good AV's...just i will tell u a short story..

One of friend called suman had eset updated and installed on his computer and he had it running all the time...and one day he gave his USB stick for some movies,games and vids...and i tell u what...as soon as i inserted The USB inside avast blocked off autorun malware and in the USB scan and avast went crazy detecting more than 273 infections on the stick and cleaning it out infections were like win32 sality,virut,trojan small,LNK:Runner,etc etc...and i had to format the USB cozz after avast cleaning it it was damaged and rendered useless...so make your decision..

P

Plexx

To be honest, since he has both licenses, I would go for ESET. I am an ESET user and have not experienced any slow down. It is true that Avast Ram usage is way lower tha ESET's Smart Security 80mb+ but on my usages and tests, ESET did not show any slow downs while Avast did.

I would also recommend 2 on-demand scanners: Malwarebytes and Hitmanpro.

Hope this helps.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
biozfear said:
To be honest, since he has both licenses, I would go for ESET. I am an ESET user and have not experienced any slow down.

I am really not saying that ESET is bad just wanted to tell what happened with my friend when he had fully up to date eset on there...I am not trying to pull down eset but just giving a word of experience that the OP may be interested in :)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I do not think ESET will have such a bad detection as it is top rated but cant say as kis missed many viruses on my pc which quickheal removed.

P

Plexx

Both Avast and ESET are good. Only reason I recommended ESET was because I am more comfortable with it, plus it has HIPS (although it needs to be configured). Didnt like Avast's sandbox.

I also recommended On Demand Scanners, which is another proactive approach for another layer of security.

While ESET has HIPS, Avast has Sandbox.

It is to be honest, a matter of choice.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
In this instance I would go for Avast. It has all the things that you need, fast response time doesn't get in your way, sandbox.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Show and teach your friend the features of Avast, including the manual sandbox and don't bother installing the extra bloat that comes with Avast such as WebRep, Desktop Gadget, Remote Assistance etc. Also disable the Marketing and Social Features, and switch off Generate monthly reports (or whatever they're called).

That is one of the reasons I like ESET, it contains zero crapware/extras/fancy-glitter-to-make-the-software-sparkle.

P

Plexx

Earth said:
Show and teach your friend the features of Avast, including the manual sandbox and don't bother installing the extra bloat that comes with Avast such as WebRep, Desktop Gadget, Remote Assistance etc. Also disable the Marketing and Social Features, and switch off Generate monthly reports (or whatever they're called).

That is one of the reasons I like ESET, it contains zero crapware/extras/fancy-glitter-to-make-the-software-sparkle.

Agree with Earth here. A custom Avast install is the best with some manual tweaks (note: I also disabled the sounds but that was more of a personal preference).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Likely, BB, Web Shield, Network Shield, and File System Shield (The realtime itself and Sandbox is also included) were likely the must and important at all.

From its Firewall likely you don't need to bother since its design as silent firewall.

spleentechie

Jun 25, 2012
I like Avast! antivirus. From the days when the UI looked more like a media player than an antivirus to now Avast! has been one of the most consistently strong Avs out there. Avast is user friendly, is light on the system and most importantly has better protection the ESET(though I have no problem with ESET). In my tests Avast! is better in protection, cheaper, and lighter on the system Avast! is my choice for a laptop(or any computer)
zSpleen

P

Plexx

spleentechie said:
I like Avast! antivirus. From the days when the UI looked more like a media player than an antivirus to now Avast! has been one of the most consistently strong Avs out there. Avast is user friendly, is light on the system and most importantly has better protection the ESET(though I have no problem with ESET). In my tests Avast! is better in protection, cheaper, and lighter on the system Avast! is my choice for a laptop(or any computer)
zSpleen

Cheaper than ESET I agree, but in terms of protection, ESET does surpass AVAST. When was the last time you have tested ESET?

ESET is also light on system. Only thing is the up to 100mb ram but that aside, it is far from being heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.