Battle Which one(s) to complement KIS 2017?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
None, because KIS 2017 is all you need (it has anti-exploit, it has HIPS that can be configured, and it can become a default-deny software).

But if you really want something to add, I would say, without any bias :D , AppGuard.

HMP.A can also be a good addition because of its specialized anti-exploit techniques, which aren't found in KIS.

ReHIPS and Shadow Defender are also good.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I preffer gather AppGuard with RehIPS and after time also add SD..

In most security setup piority is prevent not cure so 1st look at solid HIPS and firewall later other SRP software and at last some scanners etc (signatures soft).

if you dont like ReHIPS you can try alternative setup like SpyShelterFirewall + Sandboxie which i currently use

Hello Forum
Windows 10 Pro + Kıs 2017
+
Appguard
or
HMP.A
or
Re-HIPS
or
Shadow Defender?

No shady or nasty stuff
Safe browsing

Tnx

I appreciate your interest in AppGuard.

I would recommend this instead if you are using Kaserpsky - in Application Control use the process toggle switch to disable vulnerable processes. There are lists of vulnerable processes here and over at Wilders.

Kaspersky whitelists all Microsoft vulnerable processes - so it is advisable to disable them if you do not use them - which 99.99 % of home users do not use them.

Alternatively you can add AppGuard as it will not interfere with KIS and you can create policies more easily in it.

I can tell you that if you are looking for maximum security then KIS and AppGuard will satisfy.

There is replication of capabilities between KIS and AppGuard - and I point that fact out for the sake of keeping it honest and real.

The difference between the two is that with KIS you have to move browsers and office programs, Adobe products, etc to the Low Restricted group and then tweak the settings. If you take a deep dive into KIS' policies and permissions - if you are not well-versed - then it will be a problem. With AppGuard the default policies are in-place and can be tweaked more easily. AppGuard's protections are applied by simply adding a program to the Guarded Apps list whereas in KIS you have to manually create the policies.

@XhenEd is a KIS and AppGuard user - as well as myself from time-to-time.

If you are paranoid, then it is viable combo.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you add HMPA, you will gain in exploit protection, but you will lose in system responsiveness.

The other apps you mentioned, well, each is a world unto itself.

Shadow Defender will erase both wanted and unwanted changes to the system, when you reboot (but you can define exceptions). Also, it will not prevent infection and theft of sensitive personal information, during the current session.

ReHIPS isolates apps from the system and from each other. This is very secure, but not always convenient.

Appguard is very powerful protection, but some users report a learning curve.

Back to KIS: have you enabled Trusted Applications Mode? Have you disabled "trust digitally signed applications"? Have you made the other various tweaks that are available?
Try to get the most out of KIS, and you might just find that it does everything you need.

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
HMP.A + KIS 2017 = conflicts/overkill/overlap?
There is, of course, an overlap. KIS has anti-exploit techniques that are already found in HMP.A. But there are a lot of techniques found in HMP.A that are not found in KIS. So, there's an overlap, but HMP.A can offer more. :)

Don't get it wrong, though. Although it doesn't have the "advanced" anti-exploit techniques of HMP.A, KIS has other components designed to complement to defeat exploits. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.