Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
1:
i7-6700K 4.0 GHz - 64GB RAM DDR4 2666 MHz - 1TB + 512 - Dual GTX1070 8GB

2:
i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz-3.8 - 16GB RAM DDR4 2400 MHz - 1TB+128 - GTX1060 6GB GDDR5

so in fact i can't choose between the CPUs, obv first one is 1070 and well it's much better BUT doesn the second one CPU can affect that much so i should go with the second one ? or first one? they both are the same in price tho.

Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Are you choosing between a desktop and a laptop or? I mean, first one is an obvious choice... Second configurations smells like a mobile configuration because it has i7 7700HQ CPU
no they are both laptops
i was copying from the notebook configurations list that i got from one of a local MSI stores here so idk how is going on with, but if the difference between CPUs is not that much so i'll go for first one i think that was my question in fact how much that difference affect..

Reactions: BoraMurdar

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Sacrificing one i7 generation (6th to 7th) in exchange for 64GB RAM instead of 16GB and a way better graphic card sounds like the right choice!
You don't need 64GB of RAM for gaming. 16GB is enough, rest of money invest in GPU. 1080 maybe
Replacing a graphic card on a gaming laptop will be a pain in the $#%! Don't recommend trying it :p

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Depends on what your playing?

Some games will be more GPU intensive, some more CPU intensive. I play on a system with 8GB of DDR3 RAM...works perfectly fine for %100 of games at 3440x1440 res on medium-high settings (due to screen size...ultrawide 34").

Both laptops would work fine for most stuff out there, but I choose to game on a desktop (big screen, lots of space for peripherals, easy upgrade, etc.).

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Anything over 16GB of RAM is going to be wasted.

Save the money on RAM, get a NVME/m.2 drive upgrade and better GPU. Mobile CPU's on camping laptops are all fast enough, it's the GPU which is going to make the biggest difference.

• Wow
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Anything over 16GB of RAM is going to be wasted.

Save the money on RAM, get a NVME/m.2 drive upgrade and better GPU. Mobile CPU's on camping laptops are all fast enough, it's the GPU which is going to make the biggest difference.

"Anything over 16GB of RAM is going to be wasted. " It depends on what you are planning to do on the PC. Gaming 8GB is fine. Productivity and twitch streaming will prefer 16GB+. But modern AAA games are crawling pass 8GB in system recommendation.

Reactions: CyberTech

LoLs

Level 2
Verified
Dec 16, 2016
You might already decided,. but just saying 1070 far better than 1060 for gaming. And use SSD.
1060 is too limited.
sometimes even gaming i keep my browser open,. and chrome alone already use 2GB~ 16GB RAM is goodm more than that is fine, better to waste than lack of.
About CPU, there is some games that will bottleneck your CPU, but thats fine.. just priority to get better GPU because that's most games needed for.
Try to get one with 2070-2080 RTX series if you can

L

Local Host

You might already decided,. but just saying 1070 far better than 1060 for gaming. And use SSD.
1060 is too limited.
sometimes even gaming i keep my browser open,. and chrome alone already use 2GB~ 16GB RAM is goodm more than that is fine, better to waste than lack of.
About CPU, there is some games that will bottleneck your CPU, but thats fine.. just priority to get better GPU because that's most games needed for.
Try to get one with 2070-2080 RTX series if you can
There's no bottleneck to speak of on either of the builds, the i7-7700HQ is more than enough for the GTX 1060 (which is a mid range card that can run any game at Medium~High settings at stable 60FPS (1080p).

The GTX 1070 is a high-end GPU, will run just fine under the i7-6700K not to mention he can overclock it (CPU) down the road.

The obvious choice here is 1, it will last way longer than option 2.

Last edited:

LoLs

Level 2
Verified
Dec 16, 2016
@Local Host
Yes either that i7 cpu will fine.. what im saying some games did use too much CPU. I only use old i5 6600K and got bottleneck playing Assassin Creed Odyssey. And i notice low fps <30 playing that game on GTX 1060

And yes for me option 1 is the best one.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.