Which OS is the easiest for an user to harden against threats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I felt like this is a good question to ask since there are millions of Windows users, then Linux and macOS users. But which in your opinion (or experience) is the most easiest to setup and configure against modern Internet threats?

Threats may include but not limited to malicious applications, social engineering and other types of scams, man in the middle attacks, loggers and capture tools..

People say Linux can be a lot more secure and safer than Windows, but from experience I have found Linux (Ubuntu/Mint) the most challenging OS to secure and verify that I was protected against these threats. I found myself reconsidering if Linux felt safer to use everyday, over the widely exploited Windows 10 OS and Apps.

Using any 2 of the OS in the Poll, is enough for a vote. Then in the section below comment on your reasons for your choice and what OS was most challenging.

All votes are public.

TheSuperGeek

Level 2
Verified
Jan 6, 2017
I think linux is the easier :
firewall (like gufw)
a root password
common sense
and that's all. You have some repository that can be trusted so there is no malware inside of it.
You can access to apps source code if you want to audit it.
So yes maybe linux is the more secure OS, but it can be easy to secure it for home use (gufw, clamtk & common sense). But if you need advanced things it's a bit more difficult i agree :)

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I feel MacOS Sierra, would be easiest and most simple. Download a security suite with firewall, patch the camera, and pretty much everything is done.

Linux is secured, but is not as user friendly as MacOs.

That's my Vote, cheers everyone!

I assume the question is meant to mean "Which OS is the easiest for a user to harden against threats ?"

Windows

There are extensive hardening guides for Windows 7/8/8.1/10 online as well as freeware and paid softs that can be run by the user to apply a broad range of OS hardening all at one time.

Linux is mostly security by using an OS that is not widely used, and therefore not widely targeted - which isn't a bad thing. It is just a different security tactic.

Which OS is more secure if masterfully hardened and used ? - Linux

Just my own personal take on it.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
with a little knowledge, there are various ways you can put Windows in a lockdown config, and also slap on HitmanPro.Alert to protect your internet-facing apps from exploits.

I don't know how you are going to lock down your system, and protect your browser from information harvesting, when you are running Mac or Linux. You just don't have the software for that level of protection.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I believe that often the least used can be the most difficult to secure.
Whether that is from a false sense of security or that it just doesn't happen as often as something more mainstream is open to debate.
I agree with @Lockdown in that Windows is probaby the easiest to secure.Windows 10 more so than previous versions.
With a myrid of software and tools available that cover just about everything it has been my experience that Windows seems quite simple to secure.
LInux is probably the more secure OS when secured correctly but then again it is more difficult to secure than Windows.
Mac OS,since I have not used it,I cannot really give an opinion. However since it is used less than Windows and is more exploited now than in the past it seems that it would be more of a challenge than Windows.
Complacency that other operating systems,since they are not as exploited as others,do not need any kind of security programs makes exploiting them easier and hence more diffiucult to secure.

TheSuperGeek

Level 2
Verified
Jan 6, 2017
That's not what I was asking, can you blindly configure Linux without knowing the first thing about Linux?
I have to say, a lot of people will don't agree with me, but linux isn't for users that don't know anything... there is a lot of things that making me thinking linux isn't for begginers. You have to know a little in computers before using it. (yes a little only)

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
I think Windows 10. You literally just install the OS and it already has Windows Defender and Windows Firewall installed and good to go, with some common sense that should be enough. Plus the extra tools like Smart screen filter, constant Windows Patches and UAC.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Linux is more secure as an OS because it's targetted less than Windows. Windows is the main target for almost all cyber criminals & therefore has a harder time + their default protection isn't the best & you really should get a different AV to Defender in my opinion.

I may get Linux Ubuntu on my main SSD & dual boot it with Windows because Windows 10 is annoying & Linux seems really good...

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
I'd say Windows, The reason for this as because it is the most widely used and recognised OS, there are basically hundreds of thousands of tools to protect you against infections and exploits or whatever, Whereas linux is a less used Operating System and is more open as it is technically made for developers in my opinion, the only thing is that with more linux distros coming out, the more secure they can get.

But imo, Windows.

Reactions: shmu26

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I vote Linux. Reason being, I can install pretty much any home distro and without changing a thing know that I'm not going to be a victim of ransomware. Just google "Linux ransomware" and see what I mean.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Linux is more secure as an OS because it's targetted less than Windows. Windows is the main target for almost all cyber criminals & therefore has a harder time + their default protection isn't the best & you really should get a different AV to Defender in my opinion.

I may get Linux Ubuntu on my main SSD & dual boot it with Windows because Windows 10 is annoying & Linux seems really good...
Wouldn't there being many Linux and only one Windows also help in it being harder and less economic to target?

Reactions: MalwareBlockerYT

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Linux. I feel like a lot of people are delusional if the majority of votes are almost in Windows' favour. I understand the question is "which OS is easiest to harden", and while Windows has a much more straightforward path to hardening the OS, the easiest OS to harden is the OS that requires the least amount of hardening to begin with. So basically Linux/Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.