Advice Request Which Privacy-Oriented Search Engine(s) Do You Use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The followings are some of the privacy-focused search engines

1) SearX - open-source self-hosted

Welcome to searx — searx 0.12.0 documentation

2) Hulbee - based in Switzerland

Hulbee die anonyme Suchmaschine

3) Startpage - based in Netherlands

Ixquick - Wikipedia

Their QUALYS' SSL LABS reports can be found here

SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

Has anyone tried them before or is using them now? Like to comment?

Thanks

Notes:-

If you are privacy conscious I would not recommend DDG for its affiliation with Yahoo and Amazon. You can read more of DDG vs Startpage at reddit. If you dig deep enough at reddit Startpage is a bit controversial in regarding its privacy policy as well. However, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and have it listed up there

MetaGer, based in Germany, with its recent anti-encryption intention and the lack of a search for videos is not my choice for a privacy-focus search engine.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I know i'm kind of drifting away for the subject, but I'm not sure internet and privacy goes together anymore. Even if you use a search engine that respect your privacy, what about your browser ? The add-ons of your browser ? Your antivirus ? The data that your OS collects and sends online ? And even if you achieve the ultimate privacy setup (Linux with tweaked settings, independent browser, open source softwares, etc...) what about your ISP ? You could always add a VPN but that seems a lot of hassle just for having Google and such not knowing your surfing habits and personal taste. And i'm not even talking about Smartphones and other IoT that collects your data like a fat cop eating donuts.

Unfortunately i think privacy online is dead. I don't like it, but it's the way it is. I just try and not to think about it, i don't have much to hide anyway. But i do miss the early days of the internet in the 90's ;)
As below it all depends on who you want to entrust your privacy to

Chrome/Chromium/Chromium-based browsers ==> Google
Firefox and Mozilla-based browsers ==> Mozilla
Brave browser (Chromium-based) ==> Amazon
IE/Edge ==> Microsoft

Choose the one which is the least evil of all :D

W

WolfensteinXeen

What did you miss, looking at spinning sand glasses and waiting for web pages to load ? ;)

I miss that feeling where you felt like a pioneer, everything was free with no control, like in the Wild West. It felt like being Columbus discovering America.

In search engines, there where so many unknown websites with unique content. You could be on a trending website that would disappear soon, or be on what appeared like a startup that would become in the future a huge corporation.

Chatrooms, instant messaging, AOL, ICQ, torrents... the internet was in it's purest design and for what it was truly intended, the free share of information and data between people. That doesn't mean i don't like internet the way it is now, it's still awesome and it's actually technically way better. It's just nostalgia, like when thinking about the first Playstation or 90's movies ;-)

Reactions: frogboy

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I miss that feeling where you felt like a pioneer, everything was free with no control, like in the Wild West. It felt like being Columbus discovering America.

In search engines, there where so many unknown websites with unique content. You could be on a trending website that would disappear soon, or be on what appeared like a startup that would become in the future a huge corporation.

Chatrooms, instant messaging, AOL, ICQ, torrents... the internet was in it's purest design and for what it was truly intended, the free share of information and data between people. That doesn't mean i don't like internet the way it is now, it's still awesome and it's actually technically way better. It's just nostalgia, like when thinking about the first Playstation or 90's movies ;-)

OK. point taken

Reactions: WolfensteinXeen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.