HarborFront

Level 46
Verified
Content Creator
I know i'm kind of drifting away for the subject, but I'm not sure internet and privacy goes together anymore. Even if you use a search engine that respect your privacy, what about your browser ? The add-ons of your browser ? Your antivirus ? The data that your OS collects and sends online ? And even if you achieve the ultimate privacy setup (Linux with tweaked settings, independent browser, open source softwares, etc...) what about your ISP ? You could always add a VPN but that seems a lot of hassle just for having Google and such not knowing your surfing habits and personal taste. And i'm not even talking about Smartphones and other IoT that collects your data like a fat cop eating donuts.

Unfortunately i think privacy online is dead. I don't like it, but it's the way it is. I just try and not to think about it, i don't have much to hide anyway. But i do miss the early days of the internet in the 90's ;)
As below it all depends on who you want to entrust your privacy to

Chrome/Chromium/Chromium-based browsers ==> Google
Firefox and Mozilla-based browsers ==> Mozilla
Brave browser (Chromium-based) ==> Amazon
IE/Edge ==> Microsoft

Choose the one which is the least evil of all :D

W

WolfensteinXeen

What did you miss, looking at spinning sand glasses and waiting for web pages to load ? ;)
I miss that feeling where you felt like a pioneer, everything was free with no control, like in the Wild West. It felt like being Columbus discovering America.

In search engines, there where so many unknown websites with unique content. You could be on a trending website that would disappear soon, or be on what appeared like a startup that would become in the future a huge corporation.

Chatrooms, instant messaging, AOL, ICQ, torrents... the internet was in it's purest design and for what it was truly intended, the free share of information and data between people. That doesn't mean i don't like internet the way it is now, it's still awesome and it's actually technically way better. It's just nostalgia, like when thinking about the first Playstation or 90's movies ;-)

Reactions: frogboy

Windows_Security

Level 23
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I miss that feeling where you felt like a pioneer, everything was free with no control, like in the Wild West. It felt like being Columbus discovering America.

In search engines, there where so many unknown websites with unique content. You could be on a trending website that would disappear soon, or be on what appeared like a startup that would become in the future a huge corporation.

Chatrooms, instant messaging, AOL, ICQ, torrents... the internet was in it's purest design and for what it was truly intended, the free share of information and data between people. That doesn't mean i don't like internet the way it is now, it's still awesome and it's actually technically way better. It's just nostalgia, like when thinking about the first Playstation or 90's movies ;-)
OK. point taken

Reactions: WolfensteinXeen