Advice Request Which processor ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which processor

• AMD Ryzen

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • i7 7700k

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Wait

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Not a valid poll so I'm not going to participate for the following reasons:
  1. You failed to state the intended primary purpose of this next computer.
  2. You failed to state your budget for the CPU.
  3. You failed to specify which Ryzen - there are currently at least 7 models ranging from $169 up to $500 with more models to come.

Elpibe

Level 3
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
If your not in a hurry, you can wait for intel i9 (if its real). When Intel and AMD Ryzen start to compete to see who has the best processor of 2017, probably prices will improve. 99% of the ppl here didnt try both processors in similar machines (or the same) to objectively say "this is better", so at least i dont have the answer.

amd-ryzen-7-vs-core-i7-7700k.jpg

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Not a valid poll so I'm not going to participate for the following reasons:
  1. You failed to state the intended primary purpose of this next computer.
  2. You failed to state your budget for the CPU.
  3. You failed to specify which Ryzen - there are currently at least 7 models ranging from $169 up to $500 with more models to come.

Sorry.

1. Gaming
2. $300 to $500
3. Ryzen 1700 or 1800x

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Bad timing for you with so many new goodies coming down the pipe in the very near future.
I voted "Wait", as I am not a big AMD fan, I have exclusively utilized Intel in my Gaming builds
and will still because it's what I am comfortable with and it has never failed to impress me.
If neither matter to you personally and you can't wait let us know what you decide after doing
your homework. PeAcE

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
99% of the ppl here didnt try both processors in similar machines (or the same)
Since you cannot run an AMD processor and an Intel processor on the same motherboard, safe to say 100% of the people have never run an AMD and an Intel on the same machine!

The i9s will be real - no doubts. The only question is if they will be branded as i9s or just more powerful i7s. It seems pretty certain they will be part of the i9 series, as seen here.

I think I will wait until August or September!
The thing about waiting is there is always something new around the corner worth waiting for. I say when ready, take the plunge.

Elpibe

Level 3
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
Since you cannot run an AMD processor and an Intel processor on the same motherboard, safe to say 100% of the people have never run an AMD and an Intel on the same machine!

I know, what i meant is a pc with same hardware, not changing anything (rams, SSD, cooler, etc.) only the processor i didnt thought to explain that motherboard should be changed too, since most ppl already know it.

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
i would anyday take ryzen 7 for balance gaming and productivity and browsing. ryzen 5 mostly for gaming and multitasking. i7 7700k for gaming only.
remember ryzen is smoother in games. but if you wait a little longer, amd are releasing there new consumer desktop ultra high end 16core threadripper processors, these will compete with intels new upcoming i9 10-12 core processors.

but then again, ryzen is cheaper and fair in both gaming and productivity, i7 7700k is powerful in gaming wise.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
remember ryzen is smoother in games.
That has not been shown to always be true. In fact, some Ryzens has been disappointing in many reviews - not so much for "poor" performance, but for not living up to the hype.

And :rolleyes: the i7 7700k is NOT for gaming "only". It is excellent for multi-tasking too, though the R7 1800X can excel in multi-tasking IF the program you are running can take advantage of the extra threading capability.

If buyers are putting performance over budget, they need to decide their favorite programs (that is, specific games, graphics editors, CAD/CAE, compilers or whatever) then do their homework to determine the best processor for the programs they will be running most.

Any decent processor will provide good "game play". Some processors will provide better game play with this program, other processors with that program. And many games don't take advantage of all those extra cores (typically beyond 4) because developers know not all gamers have deep pockets.

And of course, insufficient RAM and a mediocre graphics solution will bottleneck them all.

So I am on both sides of the fence here. Why? Because no one processor (or line of processors) is best at all tasks. And more importantly, not being best at something does not mean the other is poor at that task.

The fact is, if you are upgrading your current rig because it is getting long in the tooth, then it is most likely any current generation good performer you buy today will run circles around what you currently have. If not, then hang on to what got now. It's doing its job well.

Here is a good comparative review: HardwareZone: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X vs Intel Core i7-7700K.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
R7 1800X can excel in multi-tasking IF the program you are running can take advantage of the extra threading capability.
I think you are a bit confused b/w multitasking and multithreading, both are different, otherwise I agree with you. Btw no offence.

To OP, in my opinion you should go for r7 1800k.
Pro- better in multithreaded application as well in multitasking (game streaming, video encoding/editing, virtualization)
Cons-higher price ($459 on Amazon), slightly lower fps on 1080p gaming. Also try to get faster Ram module for Ryzen based system.

If you want to save money go for i7 ($337 on Amazon), mind you it's still a beast in itself.
Or if you only wanna game then why not just choose a i5 (Quad core one) or r5 and add extra money into a more powerful GPU.
PS, I haven't used the Ryzen processor yet. This all just based on reviews/tests I read on tech sites.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
No offense taken.

Yes, multitasking and multithreading are different. Sorry if I caused confusion. My point was and still is, the specific program needs to be coded to support multithreading. Still, Windows does so that always helps overall performance.

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
there's little to no gap between ryzen 7 vs 7700k in AAA titles(FPS) if you have a 3200mhz or 3600mhz samsung bdie ram with an overclocked 1700

to be honest, out of the box 7700k is a gaming beast but with ryzen 7 if you want the same framerates as 7700k then you will need to manually do overclocking n etc.. i'd say ryzen 7 oc + 3200mhz b-die ram (or overclock it to 3600mhz) = beast! not only it will beat 7700k but also with 6900k in literally everything.
i now own r7 and it feels alot smoother in games vs my previous intel processors.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.