Jul 27, 2015
2024-02-02_12-49-02.jpg

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 11 comes with Microsoft Defender Antivirus, a fully functional anti-malware solution. Add a third-party hardening tool to bolster security.

Free third-party AV may promote extra features (bloatware subjective), at the cost of in-app or desktop notifications Ads to upgrade.

Edit: Why are you against renewing your existing license?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
If possible Default deny setup with configure defender, CF

If not a default deny then best filter that works well is Kaspersky free
Based on how well it flags so low false positives and has a really good behavior blocker , disinfection

if you prefer privacy friendly AV option then you can use Symantec endpoint protection Wich has the ability to uncheck all spying , hash sharing and can run unlicensed if not connected to a management server ("free without a need for license")

If you want a paid av then checkpoint Harmony is probably the best deal on paid avs as it's Kaspersky on steroids with Israeli technology added on top
Pricing is around 14$ for basic license and advanced is 25$

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I'm currently using Kaspersky with a new PC running Win 11 Pro, but I turned off HTTPs scanning and used Malwarebytes Browser with uBlock Origin in Firefox.

It had a few popups even after I turned off all notifications in the settings in both the app and web, and they haven't showed up since. It appears to be the lightest so far. I think the Novabench score I got for it was 2494 (the higher, the better).

I used the built-in AV, and it felt like it was the heaviest in several cases. I think the Novabench score I got for it with core isolation turned on was 2218.

I used Avast, and it was OK but felt a bit heavier. Its Novabench score was similar to that of Kaspersky. Also, I had to turn on game and do not disturb modes to stop notifications.

I tried Bitdefender, and it also felt a bit heavier. Its Novabench score was similar to that of Kaspersky. I also couldn't turn off features like HTTPs scanning without it showing a warning in the app and in the system tray.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I'm currently using Kaspersky with a new PC running Win 11 Pro, but I turned off HTTPs scanning and used Malwarebytes Browser with uBlock Origin in Firefox.

It had a few popups even after I turned off all notifications in the settings in both the app and web, and they haven't showed up since. It appears to be the lightest so far. I think the Novabench score I got for it was 2494 (the higher, the better).

I used the built-in AV, and it felt like it was the heaviest in several cases. I think the Novabench score I got for it with core isolation turned on was 2218.

I used Avast, and it was OK but felt a bit heavier. Its Novabench score was similar to that of Kaspersky. Also, I had to turn on game and do not disturb modes to stop notifications.

I tried Bitdefender, and it also felt a bit heavier. Its Novabench score was similar to that of Kaspersky. I also couldn't turn off features like HTTPs scanning without it showing a warning in the app and in the system tray.
I think Microsoft Defender is a great antivirus, as Shadowras test also show. But I prefer to pay to get Esets antivirus as it's so light. In comparision I think tthey are just as effective keeping crap ut. But a hate a computer that stand with the thingy in the middle that just spin around. It does that with MD, but never with NOD 32.
Kaspersky is a great antivirus too.
Some people don't mind the heavy stuff, but I'm sensitive to it and have always been.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I think Microsoft Defender is a great antivirus, as Shadowras test also show....
Some people don't mind the heavy stuff, but I'm sensitive to it and have always been.
I know MS Defender scores on heavier-side at AV-C (last time I looked) but running Defender with WHHLight with no sense of heaviness at the keyboard. Actually surprised by this, and like it.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
I think Microsoft Defender is a great antivirus, as Shadowras test also show. But I prefer to pay to get Esets antivirus as it's so light. In comparision I think tthey are just as effective keeping crap ut. But a hate a computer that stand with the thingy in the middle that just spin around. It does that with MD, but never with NOD 32.
Kaspersky is a great antivirus too.
Thats why i use Norton, as light as a feather.

1707293571163.png

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Kaspersky Free is very light on my system as well. It seems that the Command line is not visible for the Kaspersky processes (probably protected) at least in Task Manager. :)

Image-701.png
Just to try, I tried yesteday, to download Kaspersky cloud security. I was looking after a free version, but I first found out when it was on my computer that I had 31 days left? I think it's something ala internet security back in the days. But I flipped when I tried to browse. It was totally light. Like NOD 32! And t's with firewall and mail security which I sat on off because I use Gmail. I don't understand what Kaspersky have done to achieve it. But I wanted to try the cloud security, because I had heard that one was very light because of the cloud thing. And light it certanly is. I'm real surpriced. Now it seems there is Norton (One of them I don't know which) NOD 32 and Kaspersky security cloud. Sickly light.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.