Advice Request Which search tool do you use and why? (For Windows)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myriad

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Hi Folks

My first real post on here , after intro and security config .

I was going to go for " What's your favorite color " but I reckon it would already have been covered
..... just my little joke :)

OK - so I'd like to hear what people have used as search tools , and which they prefer , and why .
I'm going to take it as a given that the Windows search in Explorer is a heap of doo-doo ....
.... and slower than the average slug.

I'm sure that most of us have "lost" a file at some point .... you can't find it anywhere , but you
know to a certainty that it wasn't deleted ?

My all time favorite is " Everything" , free from voidtools.

It is lightning fast ,and the context menu ( right-click ) gives you great options , you can open
any selected object , or get the path to where it is on your drive etc. , and the cherry on top is that
if it's not what you wanted , you can go back , and the entire list is still there for you .

Windows search can't do that , it just starts building the whole list again , from scratch ! ... Doh !!
But on the minus side , Everything can't find specific text strings inside files .

If I need to do that , I go to my second choice which is " Agent Ransack " .
It is a very powerful tool , but not quite so user-friendly as Everything , and it takes a bit of learning.

Third choice would be FileSeek , which is probably the most " Techie " oriented of the three .
Even if you can only remember a few words that were in the lost file , it will find it , eventually .

I look forward to reading all comments and opinions .

Last edited:

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
I love Everthing as well! I have never used anything else. I do love how fast it is and I also love the "Bookmarks" feature. Like I said though I have never used anything else so who knows there might be something better out there!

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for your post :)
It made me realize that I was using no search tools. I have the habit of storing files in their "right" place, but it is true that the few times I needed to find a "lost" file, I used Windows search in Explorer (I am ashamed). I will try Everything :D

Reactions: Myriad

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
and slower than the average slug.
Great example for Windows Search. :D

+1 for VoidTools' Search Everything.

Why?

It's a great small utility to search any file on Windows, and takes a lot less time and resources than Windows Search / Indexing service.
I use it after uninstalling or removing unwanted files from my PC, being a portable app, I can use it on-demand without worrying it'll be consuming resources.
Portable version users still need to disable the background process on first run, otherwise it'll stay present in the system tray.

Homepage: Everything Search Engine

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Everything because of its quick file indexing and searching. I've also used Wise Jet Search before and it's pretty good.

Myriad

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
It would be a joyous day indeed if there was an equivalent tool for Linux ... but there just isn't ,
and I fully understand the reasons why .
There are a few worthy attempts out there , but they are clunky as all hell , and crash-happy on top !

If you are comfortable in the Linux Terminal , all is fine , and it is not a major issue .
( And after decades of coding , to be honest , I sometimes feel uncomfortable out of a terminal -
-but that's just the old fart factor kicking in ! )

I would dearly love to see millions of people abandon MS and Apple in favor of Linux , but there is
still a long way to go before " Mom and Pop " users will embrace it ..... I just help where I can ....

Damn , I went off topic again , and to make matters worse , it was my own thread !!!

.... my apologies to all :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
if I need to search for text inside a file, I try to point windows search in the right direction, by choosing the general location in which the file is hiding. I wish I had a better way, but it works.
If someone has a better idea, I would be happy to hear.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A quick update to my previous...

As of late, my experience with Search in Windows 10 has been better than expected. :eek:

In Windows 10 you don't have to search for the search tool, as it's right in front of you, literally. So this week, I gave up on Cortana.
  • Cortana App is NOT yet available outside the US/China, for Android users in the UK
  • New Viv AI (Viv) - makers of Siri
  • Android has Google Now

Current settings include; Cortana (OFF), Interests (OFF), Online Search (OFF), Search local files, apps and settings (ON)

upload_2016-6-10_23-35-55.png upload_2016-6-10_23-33-15.png

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.