Advice Request Which secure email can do......?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Can someone recommend a secure email client which meets the followings

1) Desktop client (Win 10 compatible) which stores the emails on my PC. No storage on external servers.
2) Encrypts the message content, subject header and sender/recipient email addresses
3) Can time to self-destruct the emails sent
4) Does not require the recipient to install additional software to read the received emails
5) Preferably can install on an external SSD which can then be encrypted

Thanks

Note:- If no such an email client is available then what is the best approach to achieve the above

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Well, you'd need to have a computer at home with a dedicated IP that's connected 24/7 and set up an e-mail server. Simple really, if you know how to do it. Since you have to ask, I'd advise against it.

Also, none of the common technologies encrypt the subject or the recipient. How would it even reach them if it weren't readable? o_O

If you're seriously interested, look into GPG or, if security from agencies isn't the main goal, just use S/MIME, which is compatible with any common mail client. It's also the least problematic to fumble around with.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You would be better of using an Android or iOS App that is supports encryption, anonymity and self-destructing messages.

Otherwise encryption extensions from the Chrome Web Store for Gmail.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just signed up with Tutanota. It can encrypt the message content, sender/receiver email addresses and the subject header but it lacks of a search function and no self-destruct feature like in ProtonMail. On the other hand ProtonMail only encrypts the message body but it has the latter features.

Thinking of signing for ProtonMail as well.

I still prefer a desktop client like Thunderbird but it is no longer supported by Mozilla and MailPile is still in beta......

Last edited:

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
  • Tutanota does not have the desktop client you asked for
  • Metadata (sender/recipient/sent date) is not encrypted
  • Non-Tutanota-Users need to visit Tutanota in order to read your mails
  • A password has to be communicated before they can read their mails
  • No self-destruction (hardly possible of course)
So considering your wishes it fails almost everywhere except no.4, but considering the hassle it's almost like using special software.
On a side note:
  • Thunderbird is currently being actively developed

Reactions: harlan4096

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
  • Tutanota does not have the desktop client you asked for
  • Metadata (sender/recipient/sent date) is not encrypted
  • Non-Tutanota-Users need to visit Tutanota in order to read your mails
  • A password has to be communicated before they can read their mails
  • No self-destruction (hardly possible of course)
So considering your wishes it fails almost everywhere except no.4, but considering the hassle it's almost like using special software.
On a side note:
  • Thunderbird is currently being actively developed
No. I'm not saying Tutanota meets my requirements and neither ProtonMail. In fact, both share similar features except for some differences

BTW, Thunderbird is actively developed by who?

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
No. I'm not saying Tutanota meets my requirements and neither ProtonMail. In fact, both share similar features except for some differences

OK, good. :)

BTW, Thunderbird is actively developed by who?

Mozilla I guess. Last stable release is 45.6.0 from December 28, 2016.

I know they announced a few years ago that development would cease except for security and stability-related issues, but they've become more active recently. Remains something of a mystery I reckon.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, good. :)

Mozilla I guess. Last stable release is 45.6.0 from December 28, 2016.

I know they announced a few years ago that development would cease except for security and stability-related issues, but they've become more active recently. Remains something of a mystery I reckon.

You are right. Here're the releases

Mozilla Thunderbird Release Notes

Besides being a desktop client is TB more secure than ProtonMail/Tutanota (web-based emails)? Of course I would assume TB comes with Enigmail + GnuPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.