Advice Request Which security software to use for a a mid level user?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Buns

Thread author
Feb 16, 2018
Hello,

Thank you for such a wonderful community.

I am somewhere in between a beginner and a mid-level computer user? I use my computer extensively for data analysis, research etc.

Just looking for good protection. Do you all think Windows defender configured using the tool @Andy Ful has developed to max settings and Comodo FW configured to @cruelsister settings is enough?

I look forward to any advise.

Thank you

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Hello,

I am somewhere in between a beginner and a mid-level computer user? I use my computer extensively for data analysis, research etc.

Just looking for good protection. Do you all think Windows defender configured using the tool @Andy Ful has developed to max settings and Comodo FW configured to @cruelsister settings is enough?

Thank you
Very good choice, both of them. Just add a Doh to your mix either on system level or on browser level and be done with it.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I would use Windows Defender at high settings configured by ConfigureDefender from @Andy Ful
3 options for an even stronger config:
  1. add Simple Windows Hardening or Hard_Configurator, read about them first in their threads at this forum.
  2. add VoodooShield, has some threads here and is tested at the moment by @harlan4096 in the malware hub.
  3. add Comodo Firewall at @cruelsister settings.
Post your config here to get better advice on the whole configuration:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Agree wiith @security123 and @Gandalf_The_Grey , just add ConfigureDefender and SimpleWindowsHardening and you are good to go.

Assuming you don't deliberately shoot yourself in the foot when installing software (ignore warnings), you could ask for a free VT-api key (explained here) and add an extension which checks downloaded programs automatically (don't know which browser you are using, but there are a few).

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I had WD + Configure Defender (High) and Comodo firewall at CS settings for 2 years. I'm now with F-Secure Safe and Comodo. My PC is a little more responsive. But both setups are fine.
I use 2 second opinion scanners to check some downloads. It's easy to learn how to make ignore rules in the sandbox and export your settings to a folder. I get maybe one notification from Comodo every week or so. That's all. Not very chatty. When I have to reinstall Comodo I just import my settings. It's fast and efficient.

Last edited:

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Hi,
In addition to the great advice already given, no security is 100% guaranteed, so it's worth considering a back-up strategy for your system and files. Macrium reflect and AOMEI backupper are both free and come highly recommended. :p

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

In addition to that, I would add an extension that blocks malicious websites. Bitdefender TrafficLight is very unobtrusive, without any background processes (unlike McAfee Web Advisor), and is very effective. Adding up to your browser’s built-in security greatly reduces your risks.

So to summarise: Windows Defender + ASR rules provides anti-malware protection.
Bitdefender TrafficLight blocks malicious downloads and phising/scam. It can be downloaded here: Bitdefender TrafficLight - Free Add-on for Secure Web Browsing
Backup software will help you retrieve data in the event of successful attack or hardware failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I would go with something that feels light for your system and doesn't cause problems, because if you are not downloading shady software and frequent well known sites there is a very small chance of infection if you just have one internet security software, such as ESET, F-Secure, Norton, Kaspersky (for free and very powerful security) etc. add an ad blocker for your browser and you'll most probably be fine. Don't forget to backup the important stuff (Always)

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Hello,

Thank you
comodo is very powerful but i have a feeling it might isolate some data analysis scripts so just use built in WD + Configure Defender (High-Max)

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi, I am a mid-level PC user, and my security is Bitdefender Total Security+Voodoo-Shield Free+Syshardener & Adguard(Adguard DNS Filtering)Default settings.
Second opinion Malware Scanners: HitmanPro(paid) & Malwarebytes Free+Norton Power Eraser.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hi, I am a mid-level PC user, and my security is Bitdefender Total Security+Voodoo-Shield Free+Syshardener & Adguard(Adguard DNS Filtering)Default settings.
Second opinion Malware Scanners: HitmanPro(paid) & Malwarebytes Free+Norton Power Eraser.
Maybe not the right place/discussion here, but I find what you use too much.

Bitdefender Total Security is a full suite and while of course any configuration can benefit from Syshardener, I would go for Simple Windows hardening from @Andy Ful
With that combination of a full suite and Syshardener there is IMO no real need for VoodooShield.
Second opinion scanners are great but Malwarebytes is the lesser of those 3 nowadays and your missing the most important one that come highly recommended by @cruelsister : Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Maybe not the right place/discussion here, but I find what you use too much.

Bitdefender Total Security is a full suite and while of course any configuration can benefit from Syshardener, I would go for Simple Windows hardening from @Andy Ful
With that combination of a full suite and Syshardener there is IMO no real need for VoodooShield.
Second opinion scanners are great but Malwarebytes is the lesser of those 3 nowadays and your missing the most important one that come highly recommended by @cruelsister : Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.
I was gonna say the same, but it’s not the right place.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
comodo is very powerful but i have a feeling it might isolate some data analysis scripts so just use built in WD + Configure Defender (High-Max)
I agree. Comodo may block sytem files, while OP says he is at beginner or mid-level user and may have problems identifying blocked/auto-contained system files. I used it when I was new and ran into this problem often enough that I quit using it. What good is strong protection when it poses these kind of challenges to the user? Stick with WD and something like Simple Windows Hardening, VS, etc.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.