Battle Which Security Suite is the best for a PC with low specs?

ameri9595

Level 1
Thread author
May 20, 2018
Hello all.. :):D

The important specs to know are as following:

index.png

disp.png

I use my laptop for Movies, Internet Browsing, Microsoft Office, Some Engineering Applications like Matlab and Simlink, Photoshop, and I'm constantly downloading..

I'm an advanced user, hence not fooled by spamming materials but I've been infected by Flashdrives, and sometimes by "well-made" infected internet files.

I'm willing to hear your opinions :)
Thank you.

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Hello all.. :):D

The important specs to know are as following:

View attachment 188851

View attachment 188852

I use my laptop for Movies, Internet Browsing, Microsoft Office, Some Engineering Applications like Matlab and Simlink, Photoshop, and I'm constantly downloading..

I'm an advanced user, hence not fooled by spamming materials but I've been infected by Flashdrives, and sometimes by "well-made" infected internet files.

I have the following in mind:

I'm willing to hear your opinions :)
Thank you.
As per requirements i can say few av's not on your list. Don't over estimate any AV than yourself and get infected.
If you want Dis Infection capability then :
Dr WEB(Russia)
G Data (Germany)
Kaspersky (Russia) are your choices
else;
Bit Defender and Emsisoft are good enough as standalone AV

ameri9595

Level 1
Thread author
May 20, 2018
As per requirements i can say few av's not on your list. Don't over estimate any AV than yourself and get infected.
If you want Dis Infection capability then :
Dr WEB(Russia)
G Data (Germany)
Kaspersky (Russia) are your choices
else;
Bit Defender and Emsisoft are good enough as standalone AV

But depending on lightweight, EAM would be better than BD wouldn't it?..

I've also noticed than you're talking bout AVs, so you suggest that an Internet Security suite isn't needed in my case?

Thank you.

Reactions: Weebarra
I

illumination

Windows 7 with those specs, i would recommend Eset out of your choices. It is a full suite, many options and very light. Of course, system specs are not the only consideration you should be looking at, as it will depend on what you use the system for mainly, and also your knowledge and what you are comfortable with.

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I won't reccomend Eset because it fails easy with flashdrive virus. Kaspersky my first option with some tweak to make it more friendly with your pc or Bitdefender. Both offer great protection.

Reactions: Weebarra and Syafiq

ameri9595

Level 1
Thread author
May 20, 2018
Windows 7 with those specs, i would recommend Eset out of your choices. It is a full suite, many options and very light. Of course, system specs are not the only consideration you should be looking at, as it will depend on what you use the system for mainly, and also your knowledge and what you are comfortable with.

I'd like to add that I've previously used ESET IS 8 for a year..

It got me infected with a silly "installation byproduct", kind of an adware that turned really ugly, changing my homepage forcefully and refuses to uninstall, it also spread, downloaded and installed other programs on my system, it was a mess really.

Reactions: Weebarra and Syafiq

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
As for that operating system and hardware, I think Kaspersky will be a pain in the RAM.

I would suggest against using BitDefender or Kaspersky on your PC. Hardware-related.

My recommendation would be:

• ESET Internet Security (tweaked for maximum settings)
  • OSArmor (NoVirusThanks, free)

This combo will give you a really light consumption experience and the extra help with USB malware or little details ESET generally can't handle.

I

illumination

I'd like to add that I've previously used ESET IS 8 for a year..

It got me infected with a silly "installation byproduct", kind of an adware that turned really ugly, changing my homepage forcefully and refuses to uninstall, it also spread, downloaded and installed other programs on my system, it was a mess really.
Eset did not get you infected, you did if you clicked through an installer quickly and did not untick those associated PUP's/PUA's. If you approach security with the thought in mind, that it should protect you from unsafe habits, you're going to find yourself cleaning that system often, regardless of which product you chose.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Eset did not get you infected, you did if you clicked through an installer quickly and did not untick those associated PUP's/PUA's. If you approach security with the thought in mind, that it should protect you from unsafe habits, you're going to find yourself cleaning that system often, regardless of which product you chose.

True words! No security solution is a 100% perfect, there always has to be some form of user awareness no matter how good the product may be.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
But depending on lightweight, EAM would be better than BD wouldn't it?..

I've also noticed than you're talking bout AVs, so you suggest that an Internet Security suite isn't needed in my case?

Thank you.
No way Emsisoft is better than Bitdefender
Bitdefender is matured powerful BB all round AV suite -internet Security**
Emsisoft is a power house AV which thoroughly focuses on keeping malware away. It lacks Spam Module and its one engine is Bitdefender. I think you got the answer.
Emsisoft is out of my system for the past > 1 yr..Over active BB..Flags each and every action as suspicious until a cloud query arrives. Lacks Disinfection and a spam Module.It doesnt satisfy for its COST
Use both and get along with 1
My choice Bit Defender

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Run, don't walk to buy K7 Internet Security. Cheap, legit licenses on Ebay too!

K7 Internet Security is so light, it actually feels like you don't have an AV installed. It's protection is seemingly great based on AVC's last few rounds with it, scoring on par with Kaspersky lately... IS version has traditional HIPS (AV one doesn't), and they use Commtouch/Cyren for Web Filtration which is a solid web filtration database. Also they have a REAL firewall with IPS.

K7 will run on a 15 year old door stop.

baddogai

Level 1
Verified
May 16, 2018
ESET in my humble opinion. Regarding your adware issue be sure to turn on PUP detection in the settings in ESET (or any antivirus for that matter). You can always use 30 days trial to decide for yourself.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Run, don't walk to buy K7 Internet Security. Cheap, legit licenses on Ebay too!

K7 Internet Security is so light, it actually feels like you don't have an AV installed. It's protection is seemingly great based on AVC's last few rounds with it, scoring on par with Kaspersky lately... IS version has traditional HIPS (AV one doesn't), and they use Commtouch/Cyren for Web Filtration which is a solid web filtration database. Also they have a REAL firewall with IPS.

K7 will run on a 15 year old door stop.
Hmm..K7 is good. I have a 20 yr (Gold License) of Ultimate Security
As far my tests goes.. its pro active is quite good against Trojans, Cryptolockers and ok against Ransomwares.
Its anti-phishing sucks..i can say almost Non-existent..But very accurate malicious URL blocking.
Regarding CYREN..i highly doubt this because i used him for more than a year . Confirm with K7 and let me know

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.