Not open for further replies.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
A small idea about the feature-set you are looking for would be helpful...

Reactions: Sana and sona

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
The two brands I trust most (and are very well made) are Nokia and Motorola (I'm told HTC is also well made). I personally will never recommend Samsung. Bad experience and well... I assume most know of their battery problem that they tried to cover up.

I currently own a Motorola Moto E 2nd Generation. Will be able to get the Android 6 update whenever my service (Verizon) rolls that out. I'd imagine all of them will get it eventually. This phone is in your price range comfortably (assuming Google currency converter is up to date).

Moto E (2nd Gen.) - Android Smartphone - Motorola

Another one that I've used is a Nokia Lumia 635. Also within price range. Guess it matters where you get it. Will get the Windows 10 update (I was running the preview on it - sadly I moved and Cricket (AT&T towers I believe) do not have service here unlike Verizon which works practically anywhere).

Nokia Lumia 635 - Affordable Camera Phone with Windows - Microsoft - USA

You could always look at other phones in the Motorola/Nokia line as you could get something better with that money. I've always bought my phone from a service provider (they normally sell for cheaper).

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I'm going to go HTC One with this. Have always had and used them. Even with all the apps I have installed I have to say the HTC One M8 is superb. Now I can't say anything on the latest M9 but I'm sure it's not much different. One thing I have noticed that the Boomsound speakers on the HTC One M8 are much much better than the M9's. The M9's speakers sound tinny...

HTC One M8 - Android Smartphone - HTC - My current phone.

But if you were looking at the latest and greatest

HTC One M9 - Android Smartphone - HTC

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
One Plus Two... For now i'd go with that. The Nexus 6p is nice also I pre-ordered a nextbit robin as well. I currently own an S5, M7, M8, and OnePlusTwo soon I'll have my Robin next month and I'll be getting the M10 as well if HTC doesn't fail with that device as well. But I've enjoyed the oneplustwo I debated for a while over it or the Nexus. I love making cyanogenmod themes or layers themes so I need a device that supports that. Its really about what you want and what you do with your phone. Do you root your phone? Do you apply themes or layers? Do you use root apps of any kind and do you want s-off or the ability to have an unlocked bootloader. With Samsung you don't have that option: well you may now I heard chainfire cracked the encrypted bootloader that kept you from even attempting root on the S6. Up until a few months ago if you tried to root SS devices they would auto brick themselves sadly. So again it's the phone you choose has to be based on what you use it for. If you do nothing but play games get something with a octa-core in it and a descent gpu. And like @McLovin my current daily device is an M8 and this is a longshot but McLovin are you on XDA?

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I have been using a Nokia Lumia phone for almost 3 years. I like it but I think that its battery is not outstanding. I do not play any games, but I still have to charge the battery at least once every day.
Nokia is basically a dead company even after MS bought it. And on average most users without root and a custom kernel will only get between 8-16 hours on one charge depending on the device. With the right kernel my record is 117 hours on one charge that was on the m7 though I got 105 on the LTE with a custom kernel I modded that a friend of mine made. It all depends on the profiles you make to extend battery life. The kernel helps of course if it's written by the write person but profiles help so much. If you're after battery life get something with a large mah battery in it and then root and drop a custom kernel on it. So you'll need a device that gets alot of development with a big battery in it as well. With those two things you could look at 2 days on one charge with minimal usage. Oh and the screen matters as well when it comes to battery consumption 2k/4k screens consume alot of battery. That's why there are even profiles for brightness in xposed framework.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Like @Huracan said, if you focus on battery life, Microsoft Lumia are good to go|: 640, 640XL (i own a 640 and getting the XL since its price in UK is equal to what I paid for the 640).

If you however rely on tons of apps, your option is Android and as such, for its price tag, LG/HTC/Samsung/Sony are good to go Midrange devices, just don't expect to have latest build of Android available since their upgrade model does not support it, instead, they release new midrange models just to "suck up" more consumers. Prime reason I left Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.