Advice Request Which Software to use alongside Avira?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I don't think using a combo is a good idea! One full suite along side an on-demand scanner is more than enough. Keep your system up-to date and don't be a click-everything person and you will be safe :)

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

If you have W7 then let me advise ZoneAlarm free firewall. It´s, for me, the best firewall free, if you are one of those who want a good firewall that makes the decisions for you and do not disturb, ordisturb only a little

For all systems Voodooshield free (autopilot mode)

With this config you have a great firewall and a very good defens againts ransomware.

(but i have to say that i don´t like Avira, i think there is other better free options)

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
@Xsjx Agreed. I think there are much better options (free & paid) than Avira. I'd personally recommend switching to a different AV with some zero-day protection and then you can avoid the whole pairing debate.
Like what?
Edit: i only want Europian Antivirus companies ;)

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Reactions: Rengar

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Wich one are u using now?
Qihoo 360 Total Security Essentials

I say give the free ones a try and if you find one you like stick with it. If you don't like any of them, use the 30-day free trials of the paid-for options and see if you like any of those. If you don't like those either then there's other options out there to try.

Reactions: Xsjx

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Qihoo 360 Total Security Essentials

I say give the free ones a try and if you find one you like stick with it. If you don't like any of them, use the 30-day free trials of the paid-for options and see if you like any of those. If you don't like those either then there's other options out there to try.
I like Avira but it has some flaws in it.... so i most want to have a program thats good With Avira.. Other than that i Like Avast...

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I like Avira but it has some flaws in it.... so i most want to have a program thats good With Avira.. Other than that i Like Avast...
I'd personally choose Avast out of the two but if you like Avira then stick with it.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
For your requirement, Avira + Comodo FW should be perfect. Avira need not be replaced now.
@Arequire has well explained how the two will complement each other effectively (post #11).
If at all you are wary of the idea of auto-sandboxing, you can try VooDooShield (if you're willing to purchase, PRO unlocks some nice features, but more alerts may follow in some configs)
  • For lockdown, prevent unwanted actions. Apps and triggered processes will need your permission for execution
  • VDS AI is quite intuitive and gives great insight to the threat level of executables
  • Get results from multi-engines online
  • Multiple modes - autopilot, training, smart
  • Awesome exploit protection
though a vast part of effectiveness will depend on you choosing to deny or allow processes/files, it is very practical for blocking, kindof HIPS and for threat-level information to warn you of any danger.

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
For your requirement, Avira + Comodo FW should be perfect. Avira need not be replaced now.
@Arequire has well explained how the two will complement each other effectively (post #11).
If at all you are wary of the idea of auto-sandboxing, you can try VooDooShield (if you're willing to purchase, PRO unlocks some nice features, but more alerts may follow in some configs)
  • For lockdown, prevent unwanted actions. Apps and triggered processes will need your permission for execution
  • VDS AI is quite intuitive and gives great insight to the threat level of executables
  • Get results from multi-engines online
  • Multiple modes - autopilot, training, smart
  • Awesome exploit protection
though a vast part of effectiveness will depend on you choosing to deny or allow processes/files, it is very practical for blocking, kindof HIPS and for threat-level information to warn you of any danger.
Is
ZoneAlarm
PRO FIREWALL

Also a good choice?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@Xsjx it sounds like you are trying to fool-proof your system against a click-happy family member.

a third-party firewall won't do that for you, it will only protect you from certain advanced attacks in an internet cafe type of situation. That's not the solution you need for your problem.

I think that zemana with real-time scanning is your best bet. It will catch most of the junk that people tend to download, and it does not require the user to have any advanced computer knowledge. It just works.

The other alternative is to use COMODO Firewall or voodooshield, but it is likely that you will have to provide computer support, because these programs can cause complications.
Also, you have to set them up right, so they will allow what they need to, and block everything else without giving a click-happy user the chance to override the protection. You have to hide those prompts.
For instance, voodooshield should be put in autopilot mode, AFTER you have everything set up just right.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Is
ZoneAlarm
PRO FIREWALL
Also a good choice?
FW shouldn't be a concern as @shmu26 explains. Comodo FW is well appreciated for all its offerings except the FW (not to say the FW is not good).
If you're using sandboxing and/or HIPS of comodo, then only is CFW any good to add to your setup.
If you're just looking for a FW, ZA is nice.

I think that zemana with real-time scanning is your best bet. It will catch most of the junk that people tend to download, and it does not require the user to have any advanced computer knowledge. It just works.
I was a great fan of Zemana. But what I learnt from some of my tests here, and from Evjl Rain, is that Zemana is very aggressive in detecting scripts and other files. Pandora is not anywhere near perfection. It thus increases FPs and it also misses good amount of some formats of malware.
It's difficult to acknowledge, but Zemana won't be that good for a family system in my opinion.

Reactions: Rengar and shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.