Advice Request Which Software to use alongside Avira?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
@Xsjx it sounds like you are trying to fool-proof your system against a click-happy family member.

a third-party firewall won't do that for you, it will only protect you from certain advanced attacks in an internet cafe type of situation. That's not the solution you need for your problem.

I think that zemana with real-time scanning is your best bet. It will catch most of the junk that people tend to download, and it does not require the user to have any advanced computer knowledge. It just works.

The other alternative is to use COMODO Firewall or voodooshield, but it is likely that you will have to provide computer support, because these programs can cause complications.
Also, you have to set them up right, so they will allow what they need to, and block everything else without giving a click-happy user the chance to override the protection. You have to hide those prompts.
For instance, voodooshield should be put in autopilot mode, AFTER you have everything set up just right.
Zonealarm pro firewall also has a aplication control
Zemana is to expensive ( already more than 100 euro for Avira )
So Comodo is left.. but i think it does inteference with Avira..
It´s a great choice
Okay thx ;)

FW shouldn't be a concern as @shmu26 explains. Comodo FW is well appreciated for all its offerings except the FW (not to say the FW is not good).
If you're using sandboxing and/or HIPS of comodo, then only is CFW any good to add to your setup.
If you're just looking for a FW, ZA is nice.

I was a great fan of Zemana. But what I learnt from some of my tests here, and from Evjl Rain, is that Zemana is very aggressive in detecting scripts and other files. Pandora is not anywhere near perfection. It thus increases FPs and it also misses good amount of some formats of malware.
It's difficult to acknowledge, but Zemana won't be that good for a family system in my opinion.

DOesnt comodo Sandbox inteference with Avira?

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Okay thx ;)

ZoneAlarm free has aplication control too ;)

JHzhruc.png

e07kPXt.png

Reactions: Rengar and Parsh

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Xsjx Since you only asked about EU Antivirus software. Check Point (ZoneAlarm) is not an European-based firm, are you sure you want to use it?

Reactions: Rengar

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Okay thx ;)

I don't see why it should interfere.

the idea works like this: comodo autosandbox will keep all unknowns in a controlled virtual environment, where it can't hurt your system.
Avira will protect everything else, i.e., everything that you decided to let out of the sandbox.

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

@Xsjx Since you only asked about EU Antivirus software. Check Point (ZoneAlarm) is not an European-based firm, are you sure you want to use it?

Godd point ;) I do not understand why to look at the nationality of people and / or products

LE7D3m5.png

SOtLN3W.png

QGcToRq.png

Light and effective defense

Reactions: Rengar and Xsjx

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Hmmm, if its good i can use it ;)
If 'being good' is your main criteria for selecting EU products, many other products from outside EU too come under that criteria :)

Whats the difference between free and pro?
The pro has advanced two way firewall
- early boot protection
- zero hour protection
- advanced access protection against specific network attacks
- application control and behavior protection
and more wireless security features

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Pro:
Firewall
Two-way Firewall
Stops Internet attacks at the front door and even catches thieves on their way out. Our two-way firewall proactively protects against inbound and outbound attacks while making you invisible to hackers.

• Threat Traffic is monitored and blocked – inbound and outbound.
  • Full Stealth Mode makes you invisible to hackers.
  • Kill Controls instantly disable malicious programs.
Advanced Firewall
No product is 100% effective against viruses or spyware. ZoneAlarm’s advanced firewall monitors behaviors within your computer to spot and stop even the most sophisticated new attacks that bypass traditional antivirus and security suites.

• OSFirewall™ Monitors programs for suspicious behavior – spotting and stopping new attacks that bypass traditional anti-virus protection.
  • Advanced-access Protection targets and defeats new, advanced attacks that other firewalls miss, such as raw data access, timing, and SCM and COM attacks.
  • Zero-hour Protection prevents silent outbreaks from gaining system access – before other security programs can even detect the threat.
  • Application Control uniquely shields your operating system during start-up, before most security products have even loaded.
  • Early Boot Protection uniquely shields your operating system during start-up, before most security products have even loaded.
Additional Layers
Multiple layers of advanced protection provide unsurpassed security.

• Anti-Spam filters out annoying and potentially dangerous emails.
  • Wireless PC Protection shields you from hackers, identity thieves and other online threats when you connect to an unsecured network.
  • Automatic Wireless Network Security detects wireless networks and automatically applies the most secure firewall protection setting.
  • DefenseNet™ provides real-time security updates, responds quickly to breaking threats and leverages threat data from millions of users – protecting your PC from the latest attacks.
Free:

Firewall
Basic Firewall
Stops internet attacks at the front door and catches thieves on their way out. Proactively protects against inbound and outbound attacks while making you invisible to hackers.

• Threat Traffic is monitored and blocked, both inbound and outbound.
  • Full Stealth Mode makes you invisible to hackers.
  • Kill Controls instantly disable malicious programs.
Additional Layers
Multiple layers of advanced protection provide unsurpassed security.

• Wireless PC Protection shields you from hackers, identity thieves and other online threats when you connect to an unsecured network.
  • Automatic Wireless Network Security detects wireless networks and automatically applies the most secure firewall protection setting.
  • DefenseNet™ provides real-time security updates, responds quickly to breaking threats, and leverages threat data from millions of users.

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
If 'being good' is your main criteria for selecting EU products, many other products from outside EU too come under that criteria :)

The pro has advanced two way firewall
- early boot protection
- zero hour protection
- advanced access protection against specific network attacks
- application control and behavior protection
and more wireless security features
So pro has behavior protection? so that can fill up Aviras flaws :) ?

Reactions: Parsh

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.