Which solution is better for protecting both against ransomware and viruses?

Which of the below would you implement to combat both ransomware and generic malware?

• Specialized anti-ransomware and antivirus technology in a single product

• Specialized anti-ransomware technology alone

• Antivirus technology alone

• A combination of specialized anti-ransomware and antivirus products

Results are only viewable after voting.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Hi, frogboy. You have posted the same reply as yesterday in another topic. And I completely agree with you. For me it is the is the best way to stay protected from ransomware/antimalware.... There is no 100 % guarantee that anti-ransomware will protect you against ransomware. The solid backup stored on the external storage devices can ensure that all important information will be in safe place.

That is true, but we should not mix up things. Backup is always required, and so is user training. These things do not compete. However, you cannot run backups every hour. It is a major overhead. So with backup, you always lose the files you have not backed up yet. How many, depends on when last backup took place.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I would vote other (a passive protection). Pretty much every malware uses WSH (Windows Script Host) and almost every ransomware uses powershell. Disabling these will prevent any dropper from well dropping in and bypassing UAC and some even from launching. Changing user permissions will block ransomware encrypting selected folders, MS is implementing it in WD in Fall Update.

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Attachments

• ZF5mR4a.jpg
    ZF5mR4a.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 352

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Don't let them run which is the obvious way. Now how you will achieve that it's a discussion that will have no end and it will be different depending on the users.

Though you want me to pick from your options which are both limited and weird because no 2 products function, operate and share the same features so i will pick the combo option exactly like i do at Mcdonalds.

Ok 3rd answer now that i googled your name and know what you do is that me and many others don't use products that are so limited in scope because at the end you will end up with 1000 programs you have to maintain and hope they play well together. Almost every company on the planet made a anti ransomware products so they can't all sell and statistics of how effective a product will not help. Issue is the average user will not know of these anti ransomware products let alone go and figure out which of the many option it's the one they should get. So at best they go at the industry leaders that they have heard before.

It is true many implement anti-ransomware, it is also true most do it ineffectively (many false positives or missing attacks). I am asking because we want to take into consideration what people think when going forward with our solutions. We believe antivirus and anti-ransomware should not mix because they are different technologies. Also backup, user training, other perimeter security measures are something totally different and a must for multilayered protection. So far we are the only company providing anti ransomware technology that allows file recovery even in case of a successful ransomware attack - we or other solutions in place cannot detect.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It is true many implement anti-ransomware, it is also true most do it ineffectively (many false positives or missing attacks). I am asking because we want to take into consideration what people think when going forward with our solutions. We believe antivirus and anti-ransomware should not mix because they are different technologies. Also backup, user training, other perimeter security measures are something totally different and a must for multilayered protection. So far we are the only company providing anti ransomware technology that allows file recovery even in case of a successful ransomware attack - we or other solutions in place cannot detect.
Didn't test your software so i can't commend how effective it is but i checked the price and it's on the high side. You can get full suits from big known publishers at that price so i wouldn't consider your program competitively priced.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Didn't test your software so i can't commend how effective it is but i checked the price and it's on the high side. You can get full suits from big known publishers at that price so i wouldn't consider your program competitively priced.

It costs $29 for fist year or $23 for renewal. As I understand the offer a trial to check it how it works.
Do you what is the problem?
For ransomware you have to buy anti-ransomware
For malware you have to buy anti-malware
For viruses - buy anti-viruses.
Too much for me

idm.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 65219

Most votes goes for :
"combination of specialized anti-ransomware and antivirus products"
but I'm never sacrifice system reliability so my choice is "single product".

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I do not even bother on backing up files for ransomware since most of my sensitive data is on Google Drive and they offer a rollback if suddenly infected. I still backup just in case my system fails to boot or whatever.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
The last option, plus security and privacy browser addons, software firewalls, and multiple backups in different forms.

Reactions: bribon77
T

The paranoid one

I would still say a good solid backup solution. Normally prevention is better than the cure but in this case I am not so sure. Just maybe the cure is the better option. :)
Simple and effective. The best defend, step by step, and the first is the one youy said :)

because at the end you will end up with 1000 programs you have to maintain and hope they play well together.
In the 90s it was the problem with the hardware. The famous "plug and pray" :D , sorry "plug and play".:rolleyes: It seems to me that this is the same philosophy: to acquire a product and blindly trust that it will work properly in the environment :confused:
It costs $29 for fist year or $23 for renewal. As I understand the offer a trial to check it how it works.
Do you what is the problem?
For ransomware you have to buy anti-ransomware
For malware you have to buy anti-malware
For viruses - buy anti-viruses.
Too much for me
100% agree. I just wanted to use my computer, but I see myself learning about a lot of things that take away time to enjoy using my computer and instead of using my latest game I am researching about the differences between anti malware, anti ransomware that is not really more than my antigameware :(

In my honest opinion, the ransomware is similar to specialized malware, but always malware it is.
I use Emsisoft AM that is doing a good job, even considering its excellent BB.
My backups and OS images are my best solution against ransomware./QUOTE]
And we go back to the first step. Backup, backup and backup, And if all else fails: backup ;) :D

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
OP framed this poll so he could get anti Ranware votes. If I am wrong I apologize but isn't the OP and antiransomware vendor.

Personally I think anti ransomware solutions are terrible. Remember by the time they act YOU ARE INFECTED. Put that up in big letters. I use a combination simliar that was spelled out and have tested several hundred samples. Nothing gets thru. I follow that with hourly images, and I feel that is enough

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I don't understand what you mean by "you are already infected". Although certainly not all specific anti-ransomware apps are equivalent, those that are better will detect the encryption process as it is called up and will stop the process in addition to deleting the malicious vector, thus leaving the system in the same state as it was previously. In essence this would be the same as the traditional AV detecting and deleting a trojan.

As to the need for an AR application, that is different. Those that rely on things other than traditional solutions probably have no need for such an application; but considering most are getting by with the Windows Defender/Windows Firewall combo, using an anti-ransomware program as an adjunct may stop an Ocean of Tears.

Before dismissing things as pointless you have to remember that not everyone is a Security Geek...

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
For me, Rehips is the best solution but if I want to remove it I can say an Av +appcheck free or ransom off is the best for me.
So:
A combination of specialized anti-ransomware and antivirus products

Reactions: bribon77

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I don't understand what you mean by "you are already infected". Although certainly not all specific anti-ransomware apps are equivalent, those that are better will detect the encryption process as it is called up and will stop the process in addition to deleting the malicious vector, thus leaving the system in the same state as it was previously. In essence this would be the same as the traditional AV detecting and deleting a trojan.

As to the need for an AR application, that is different. Those that rely on things other than traditional solutions probably have no need for such an application; but considering most are getting by with the Windows Defender/Windows Firewall combo, using an anti-ransomware program as an adjunct may stop an Ocean of Tears.

Before dismissing things as pointless you have to remember that not everyone is a Security Geek...

But thats the rub, how does one select which ones will revert the system. In fact which ones actually do that. I'd like to test them

The other challenges is just getting people to do back up. Sigh..

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I use AppCheck and let me tell you, if I could I would rather not be using it. I would rather have my AV detect ransomware because it is just another type of malware. Why have a separate product? Most of the separate anti-ransomware programs are one trick ponies. Throw something like Petya at them and they will remove the ransomware component but not the malware component that breaks your MBR. Fighting ransomware should be part of an integrated solution that detects all of the components of a ransomware.

Reactions: ispx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.