Question Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Hi friends,

filter list1.PNG

filter list2.PNG
This is an update to a previous thread here about Ubo filters lists.
These are my UBO filter lists.
Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Thanks you for your contribution. (y)

Zappathustra

Level 2
Jul 1, 2019
After the update to 1.49.2, I noticed not only the Resource Abuse filter using 0/70, but my custom filter lists were all deleted, including the Grayware list I maintain. Fortunately I was able to restore from a recent settings backup. This is the first time I've ever seen custom lists disappear.

filter.png

I tried adding uAssets/resource-abuse.txt at master · uBlockOrigin/uAssets as custom filter and, voila, 70/70. Strange.

Your list looks very interesting and useful, glad you didn't loose it.
Edit: I'm using your list. Thanx!

Last edited:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018

Nicolaasjan at Wilders posted this comment, from uBO developer Gorhill:

resource abuse has been merged with "uBlock -- Privacy"
Though I think I'm the only one whose custom filter lists vanished :confused:

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
  • Wow
Reactions: plat

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Interesting comment from Sampei Nihira at Wilders:
Hi,I saw that elsewhere you posted that you use AdGuard Base filter + EasyList (Optimized) in UBO.

Did you notice that in this list if you mouse click on "view content" eye icon it highlights that there are as many as 14 errors?

1.jpg

I am not clear how much this may affect the blocking,it would need to ask mr.Hill.

But I personally prefer to use lists with 1/3 errors at most.
;)
:)
;):)
I changed AdGuard Base filter + EasyList (Optimized) for EasyList (Optimized), that list has no errors.
Preferring the optimized lists above the regular ones, because with those there is no more delay when playing video's on a regional Dutch news site.
Nieuws

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What's in the list Privacy Essentials?
Description: A curated list for advanced hardening. Minimize connections to third-party sites.
It's mostly trackers. The maintainer states that it will break 3rd party logins.

So for instance, if you use Easy Mode it will block YouTube videos on other websites.

Last edited:

Zappathustra

Level 2
Jul 1, 2019
This is the order:
1) Dynamic URL filtering rules
2) Dynamic filtering rules
3) Static filtering

When you open the logger and choose an element of the page to block, you have two options: create a URL rule (Dynamic URL filtering rules) or a Static Filter. That URL rule takes precedence over the other two, but must be used on special cases. For example, i use 2 of this "special" URL rules...

Code:
* https://www.google.com/recaptcha/ * noop
* https://www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/ * noop

to avoid globally whitelisting google and gstatic domains with the (less granular) dynamic filtering rules.

Static filtering gives you even more granularity than what my beloved uMatrix used to, but, alas, there's no panel, you have to create the rules with the logger

When still crying over uMatrix demise, I used to create all my rules with the static filter. Give me granularity, Mr. Hill!
Well, not anymore.

Overview of uBlock's network filtering engine: details

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Ublock Origin Filters Web capture_9-5-2023_204335_odfafepnkmbhccpbejgmiehpchacaeak.jpeg

194,506 network filters + 40,509 cosmetic filters from:

My filters – 0 used out of 0

Built-in (6/6)
uBlock filters – 33,143 used out of 33,231
uBlock filters – Badware risks 6,968 used out of 7,129
uBlock filters – Privacy 319 used out of 393
uBlock filters – Quick fixes 234 used out of 246
uBlock filters – Resource abuse 70 used out of 70
uBlock filters – Unbreak 1,980 used out of 2,016

Ads (1/3)
EasyList - 66,796 used out of 67,080

Privacy (1/3)
EasyPrivacy - 32,099 used out of 32,241

Malware domains (3/3)
Online Malicious URL Blocklist - 6,816 used out of 6,820
Phishing URL Blocklist - 90,279 used out of 90,281
PUP Domains Blocklist - 190 used out of 190

Annoyances (0/7)

Multipurpose (2/2)

Dan Pollock’s hosts file – 11,356 used out of 11,357
Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list – 2,429 used out of 3,742

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Blocking gif images on a specific site (real world example):
*.giphy.com/*.gif$image,1p
I used to have an extension which blocked animated gofs from playing. Because websites don't use them anymore (at least in my internet-bubble), I removed it a few years ago. Lately I have seen an animated gif popup again once or twice which remembered me how annoying these animated gifs are. Is it possible to block animated gifs with uBO (or AG)?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.