Question Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Hi friends,

filter list1.PNG

filter list2.PNG
This is an update to a previous thread here about Ubo filters lists.
These are my UBO filter lists.
Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Thanks you for your contribution. (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I don't want to use more than one extension. Also, i'm not overly concerned about phishing and malware threats in the first place. I just enable the filters because they're available. I'm using Librewolf browser enforced with Apparmor in Linux OS.
For a 'less is more" minimalist (like me with less than 3000 rules in uBO) I have Bitdefender Trafficlight enabled, because it is (at the moment) the best bad-url filter extension available. On the other hand using AppArmor with the sandboxes already implemented on Linux, there is near zero chance of getting infected. Considering uBO default update cycle those malware protection lists are pretty useless, I would endorse @oldschool's advice to dump them.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Filterlists in uBO (Firefox ESR with strict tracking protection).
Networkfilters: 24.665 (my filters: 5)
Cosmetic filters: 8797

- AdGuard URL Tracking Protection
- Adguard Dutch filter
- Block advertisements on Youtube.com
- EasyList (minified)
- EasyPrivacy (minified)
- LennyFox uBlockOrigin medium mode blocklist

Further:
- Easy Medium Mode (noop rules for regular TLD's)
- NextDNS with Peter Lowe's filterlist, blocking Samsumg and Windows tracking and all security options.
Great less is more selection (y)(y)(y) Does Peter's Low list provide any problems in Next DNS? It is tempting to replace Kees1958 MV3 for LenyFox uB0 medium mode when Peter Low's list does not provide problems.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Does Peter's Low list provide any problems in Next DNS?

Peter Lowe's filterlist does a great job. Rarely false positives. For me the most relevant advantage of Peter Lowe's list on DNS level is that it blocks many queries from my Samsung smart TV (together with NextDNS' own blocking from Samsung tracking). But as always, just try to see if it suits you. It may depend of your browsing behaviour. On browser-level I should not use it together with LennyFox uBlockOrigin medium mode blocklist, because it doesn't add much blocking. So in that case I would choose one of them. I've tested this on some notorious tracking-sites mentioned on WhoTracks.me - Bringing Transparency to Online Tracking.

It is tempting to replace Kees1958 MV3 for LenyFox uB0 medium mode

After some testing is my conclusion that LennyFox uBlockOrigin medium mode blocklist is considerably more effective. Also using both lists together makes little sense. For the way of testing view Adblocking innovation

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Peter Lowe's filterlist does a great job. Rarely false positives.
Indeed, I have the same experience.
For me the most relevant advantage of Peter Lowe's list on DNS level is that it blocks many queries from my Samsung smart TV (together with NextDNS' own blocking from Samsung tracking)
Thanks, I didn't know this about Samsung blocking.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Peter Lowe's filterlist does a great job.
Ditto. (y)

Even though uBO Lite is now available for Firefox, I'm sticking with the full uBO. I have most of the built-in lists active--except if any under the AdGuard or EasyList Annoyances show 0/xxx, I disable them. So far, no problems. Here is my custom list for the past year or so. If anyone has any critiques, pls. let me know.

ubo custom lists.PNG

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Hi friends,

This is an update to a previous thread here about Ubo filters lists.
These are my UBO filter lists.
Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Thanks you for your contribution. (y)
If you're using Peter Lowe's or any similar host file, I recommend enabling the uBO "Unbreak" list, which includes fixes for FPs from those lists. If I may also plug my own minimalist filterlist: GitHub - VernonStow/Filterlist: Blocklist for websites likely to be harmful or annoying, meant to supplement mainstream blocklists.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
And I saw in a post the mention of Easy List and Easy Privacy (Minified), is that similar to the optimized version?
Perhaps you did see it in my post #62 in this thread. You use uBO in medium mode. This covers many third party trackers. So the minified version of EP is more than enough. EL minified does a good job if you're (like me) not very allergic to ads.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Jan Willy

I had read you globally blocked eval with *##+js(noeval). I liked the idea, but tested it on the link you provided, but it does not block the new Function () which more or less does the same (so it is a half baked solution). I think youare probabl better of disabling JIT or using Netcraft. When you use Edge and have enabled super duper mode, you also disable JIT . This also reduces memory not writeable area and prevents most of the EVAL string attacks. Your post was also the reason I was playing with the new Netcraft extension (because it blocks some client side XSS vulnerabilities).

I also noticed that some websites like Megekko.nl use eval command. I guess they use server side strings to make some parts of their website dynamic (which is okay because everything get compiled when page loads, also when JIT is enabled).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.