Question Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Hi friends,

filter list1.PNG

filter list2.PNG
This is an update to a previous thread here about Ubo filters lists.
These are my UBO filter lists.
Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Thanks you for your contribution. (y)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Well I posted that uBO digests 90%of AG filters, but only 23 errors on over 64 rules (in optimized version) means that uBO digest 99,99% (y) (y) (y)

I guess you look into these things more than I do. I didn't bother doing the math either. :D

BTW, I wonder why Adguard keeps Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking in its lists? To assuage the "More is better" user?

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I guess you look into these things more than I do. I didn't bother doing the math either. :D

BTW, I wonder why Adguard keeps Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking in its lists? To assuage the "More is better" user?
I guess AG put it in initially to offer their customers the old-trusted-known filters on top of their own filters. So yes, that would be a valid explanation.

Another guess is that they don't have people looking at third-party filters manually anymore. When they should have checked (like @Jan Willy did) they would have seen it is not maintained anymore. I think they have automated the maintenance and update. As @South Park posted a subset is maintained, so their (automated) update check confirms that it changes from time to time. Also in my post#94 I added two links of Brave research. In one of them they also discovered that a substantial part of "old" (5 year old) rules keep blocking stuff. Which means that in their (automated) triggering check they see that some of those block rules still block stuff. As said all guestimates, but this could be the reason it stays in the list.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

nicolaasjan

Level 4
May 29, 2023
I have to say that all these different opinions are quite confusing to me. :LOL:

I have now disabled the Malicious URL Blocklist and enabled Firefox own Safe Browsing protection.
Firefox Enhanced Tracking Protection is set to "Strict".

Disabling Easylist reduced my score on d3ward to from 100% to 96%, so I turned it on again (yes, I know this test is flawed).
Easylist minified didn't remedy this.

Screenshot_2023-08-21.png

screenshot3.png
screenshot4.png

[Edit]
I don't have Peter Lowe's list enabled, because that one is already in my hosts file.
I also use Quad9 DNS, which blocks malicious sites as well.

Should I also enable EasyPrivacy again?

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
That didn't get me beyond 96% either. haha!

I guess I'll have to keep this dubious stock EasyList enabled for now...
Or learn not to trust dubious "Adblocker Tests".
You can add custom rules specific for the few items that are not covered so far.
BTW I don't understand why stock EasyList should be 'dubious'.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: uBO cheats 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think Raymond Hill aka gorhill was fed up with this tool, probably because of this:
This tool has been doing more damage to content blockers because it reports flawed results.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@simmerskool and @nicolaasjan

The problem is only AdGuard knows which 201 rules accounted for 90% of the blocks and we (at least I) don't know which. Because AdGuard has a DNS service (and a feedback opt-optout in their extension) they have a pretty good idea which domains are blocked (and can assess which rules triggered those blocks).

I had no intend to bring EasyList filters are useless or full of bloat. The exponential graph of the Brave research shows that the added protection maxes out. Mind teaser was that it was probably more effective to use AdGuard onlt filters in uBO and disable all other stuff (except for the ones you added manually).

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@simmerskool and @nicolaasjan

The problem is only AdGuard knows which 201 rules accounted for 90% of the blocks and we (at least I) don't know which. Because AdGuard has a DNS service (and a feedback opt-optout in their extension) they have a pretty good idea which domains are blocked (and can assess which rules triggered those blocks).

I had no intend to bring EasyList filters are useless or full of bloat. The exponential graph of the Brave research shows that the added protection maxes out. Mind teaser was that it was probably more effective to use AdGuard onlt filters in uBO and disable all other stuff (except for the ones you added manually).
...ok, I follow what you are saying. I'd understand this thread better if I opened my uBo settings to see exactly what filters I'm using, but doesn't seem broken here, so I'm just reading along... ... in case I read something that strikes a nerve. :unsure::sleep:

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 97327

nicolaasjan

Level 4
May 29, 2023
The problem is only AdGuard knows which 201 rules accounted for 90% of the blocks and we (at least I) don't know which.
Why don't they share that knowledge?
probably more effective to use AdGuard only filters in uBO and disable all other stuff
I wouldn't dare to disable the uBO filters. They're very effective.

Zappathustra

Level 2
Jul 1, 2019
you are not alone... o_O (not necessarily @Max90 -- I find this thread interesting but somewhat confusing...)

It depends on who you are. Are you a minimalistic kind of person like Marie Kondo? Choose minified Easylists.

You think less is good, but not necessarily more? Choose optimized Easylists.

You love headaches or banging your head against the wall like Roger Waters? Choose all the lists you find: less than1 milion rules and 900 000 cosmetic filters it's a failure

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.