Question Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Hi friends,

filter list1.PNG

filter list2.PNG
This is an update to a previous thread here about Ubo filters lists.
These are my UBO filter lists.
Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Thanks you for your contribution. (y)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It depends on who you are. Are you a minimalistic kind of person like Marie Kondo? Choose minified Easylists.

You think less is good, but not necessarily more? Choose optimized Easylists.

You love headaches or banging your head against the wall like Roger Waters? Choose all the lists you find: less than1 milion rules and 900 000 cosmetic filters it's a failure
got it :ROFLMAO:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
What do you think about mine? Any suggestions?
No need for the (custom) AdGuard Annoyances filter.
It is already included (with more control what to block) here:
1693385973604.png

More info here:
When using this filter / these filters you don't need EasyList/uBO Cookie Notices (it does the same thing).

The malware filters Online Malicious URL Blocklist and Phishing URL Blocklist are not needed when using a modern browser and antivirus.
They block more and in realtime than these filters ever could.

You could use the optimized variants of EasyList and EasyPrivacy for reducing memory/cpu usage.
The Optimized version is based on opt-in telemetry by AdGuard, is light on memory and comments, and gets below iOS/Safari filter limits.
You can find them here:
Search for optimized

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I have a two browser approach, one for surfing the websites i use to visit a lot (Chrome) and one for casual surfing (Edge).

I use Chrome with DNS0.eu and mildly secured site permissions with one extension AdGuard Mv3 with (less than 3000 rules total)
- LennyFox allow Dutch payment services
- LennyFox block youtube ads
- LennyFox block ads on news websites Mostly Dutch news websites plus BBC, CNN (which I both read) and ABC news (which I don't read)
- Kees1958 EU US most used URL trackers
- Kees1958 EU US Mv2 most used ad&tracking networks

I use Edge with NextDNS and tightly secured site permissions with uBO and the following filter list (less than 20.000 rules total)
- LennyFox block ads on youtube
- Kees1958 EU US Mv3 most used ads&tracking networks
- Block outsider intrusion into LAN
- AdGuard URL tracking protection
- AdGuard advertisement servers
- AdGuard tracking servers
- AdGuard annoyance cookies general
- AdGuard annoyance anti-adblock

! Block popups,popunders to annoying malvertising networks
||*$popup,popunder,to=trafficjunky.*|trafficfactory.*|trafficforce.*|tsyndicate.*|exoclick.*|orbsrv.*|opoxv.*,important

! Fool delayed advertisements by removing the time-out trigger
*##+js(no-setTimeout-if, \x41\x64\x62\x6c\x6f\x63\x6b\x20\x66\x6f\x72\x20\x70\x6f\x72\x6e\x68\x75\x62)

! Block websocket, pings and obsolete objects everywhere
||*$websocket,ping,object,important

! Block webrtc (real time communication) globally
*##+js(nowebrtc)

! Block javascript on HTTP websites
|HTTP://*$script,important

! Block third-party scripts and frames on HTTPS websites allowing (~) only on common Top Level Domains and Country Codes
|HTTPS://*$script,frame,to=~com|~edu|~io|~net|~org|~cloud|~video|~tv|~nl|~au|~be|~de|~eu|~uk

1693394164360.png

NextDNS blocks just under 10% of the requests, while uBO blocks 28%. This broad+targetted combo for general surfing with Edge works very well for me

Because I use Chrome with few rules for a few websites (I ran uBO for a while to get an idea) the block rate is also high (well over 19%)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

One of the best blocklist compilations if not the best
1host is fine too
Don't need to add dozens of lists if you use this.
Nice thing about NextDNS is that you can see the number of blocks a blocklist generates. With my surfing habits two highly valued blocklists (OISD.nl and Hagezi) performed substantionally less than the combo of filters I am now using now in NextDNS. My current combo blocks nearly 10% (with 125.000 host block entries) and OISD.nl plus Hagezi ultimate (combo with over 600.000 host block entries) blocked less than 6,4 percent.

Blocklists contain a lot of domains you probably never visit. Also the advertising and tracking networks prevalence is exponentially decreasing. That is why there is no best one size fits all setup. When you visit this forum, you probably have an above average interest in security and privacy so you might get some fun and benefits in trying out other member's favourites to find out the perfect combination for yourself.

I also discovered that at around 150.000 rules my maximum block rate percentage maxes out. So I have also seen in practice what former users Kees1958 and LennyFox (and well kown independant blocklist maintainer Peter Low) often claimed in theory. With one big difference: Kees1958 claimed that at 10,000 rules the block rate maxes out. I can see that my useful maximum is around 150.000. So I tend to disagree with Kees1958 on what the useful maximum is. I think that is personal, because people have different browsing habits. That said I am a happy user of their (LennyFox and Kees1958) Github blocklists.

Alexai

Level 3
Aug 12, 2023

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Most are available on FilterLists:
Kees1958 on his GitHub page:
LennyFox on his GitHub page:

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I replaced the Kees1958 MV2 EU-US most used again with two Adguard base lists (they have approx same number of block rules) now I am using Firefox with its build in anti-tracking blocklist. I know that when you block the advertising and tracking networks providing the ads which are shown on the websites you visit (affiliate advertising) like with Peter Low and Kees1958 you don't need to update the lists often, but the lists of Adguard and Disconnect (Firefox build-in) are updated more regularly.

So I am using now using these lists (in total less than 8000K rules) with 1HOST lite and Easylist Dutch doing the heavy filtering at NextDNS
(and Jan Willy's trick by blocking third-party of Top Level Domains I normally don't visit in My Filters).

1696668241791.png

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I replaced the Kees1958 MV2 EU-US most used again with two Adguard base lists (they have approx same number of block rules) now I am using Firefox with its build in anti-tracking blocklist. I know that when you block the advertising and tracking networks providing the ads which are shown on the websites you visit (affiliate advertising) like with Peter Low and Kees1958 you don't need to update the lists often, but the lists of Adguard and Disconnect (Firefox build-in) are updated more regularly.

So I am using now using these lists (in total less than 8000K rules) with 1HOST lite and Easylist Dutch doing the heavy filtering at NextDNS
(and Jan Willy's trick by blocking third-party of Top Level Domains I normally don't visit in My Filters).

View attachment 278991

You could consider to add next very small filterlist (also a section of AG BaseFilter) that covers sneaky advertising network domains.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

You could consider to add next very small filterlist (also a section of AG BaseFilter) that covers sneaky advertising network domains.
Ahh I see, some websites allow publishing advertisements through their cloudfront servers. In this way blocking advertising network does not work, because the advertisements are served indirectly from their cloudfront servers (normally used for speedy access of a website all over the world).

I used to block first-party with uBO's and Adguard's element picker. I added this list, thanks

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
AG SDNS filter is composed of essential ad- and tracking filterlists (on hosts level, so without cosmetic filtering). That's why it's compact: about 57.000 rules. The specific country-rules are for many people mostly unnecessary. But it's easy to pick out the filterlists that are relevant for you (such as the list I recommended in Question - Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?).
View:

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Jan Willy although you are a highly respected content filter master for me (y) and I have learned a lot, I am forced (and feeling obliged like an addiction) to adopt my setup according to your advice ;) So the inevitable thing happened and I have changed my filter usage setup:

1. Added Aduard DNS to NextDNS (which made my three Adguard filters in uBlockOrigin obsolete, thank you very much :) )
2. Replaced the three obsolete filters with Kees1959 Addendum to Edge and Firefox build in

So my rule count in UBO is now less than 6000 (y) (and just under 300.000 in NextDNS)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.