Question Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Hi friends,

filter list1.PNG

filter list2.PNG
This is an update to a previous thread here about Ubo filters lists.
These are my UBO filter lists.
Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Thanks you for your contribution. (y)

tidyloop

Level 1
Oct 14, 2023
I just came across this thread so thought I'd ask about my current setup. I'm using uBlock in Basic mode. My lists:
Using the 5 x "Built-in" uBlock lists and Optimized variants of AdGuard Base, EasyList, EasyPrivacy, AdGuard Annoyances, Fanboy's Annoyance List (from filterlists.com)

I use NextDNS with only the 'security' lists and one 'privacy' list so far (HaGeZi - Multi NORMAL). I'd be happy to replace any uBlock lists with DNS filter lists if that is more efficient.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

AdGuard Base and EasyList are the same kind of list, I would just choose 1 of them.
AdGuard Annoyances and Fanboy's Annoyance List are the same kind of list, I would just choose 1 of them.
Good advice with two additions:
  1. AdGuard's annoyances is a bit more tolerant than FanBoy's, meaning Adguard's annoyance breaks less websites, but FanBoy's version filters out more annoyances
  2. AdGuard base uses the advanced functions of AdGuard (uBlock version uses equivalent advanced uBO syntax) while Easylist "just" uses AddBlockPlus syntax (meaning AG base performs a little better against some sneaky ads).

It is my experience that when you use AdGuard base, you can disable all uBO filters (these are often uBO advanced rule to assist the weaker ABP-format block rules of easylist). Using uBO with AdGuard filters for me is the best option (but that is related to the websites a person visits, so you have to try that for yourself)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Do you know if there is any benefit in still using the small filter 'uBlock filters – Quick fixes'? This seems to be being regularly updated in relation to YouTube ad-block blocking per a weekly thready on Reddit on /r/ublockorigin
Yeah quick fixes is good, at the moment I use on my wife's laptop
1. uBlock Quick fixes
2. AdGuard optimized base filter + easylist
3. AdGuard URL param tracking
4. Kees1958 Mv2
5. Lenny Fox news websites + youtube

tidyloop

Level 1
Oct 14, 2023
I haven't heard of the Adguard optimized base filter list. What is the difference with the regular base filter list?
@Gandalf_The_Grey describes them at a high level (from a previous post - Question - Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?)

“You could use the optimized variants of EasyList and EasyPrivacy for reducing memory/cpu usage.
The Optimized version is based on opt-in telemetry by AdGuard, is light on memory and comments, and gets below iOS/Safari filter limits.
You can find them here:

FilterLists | Subscriptions for uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdGuard, ...

FilterLists is the independent, comprehensive directory of filter and host lists for advertisements, trackers, malware, and annoyances. By Collin M. Barrett.
filterlists.com
filterlists.com

Search for optimized”

robboman

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
@Gandalf_The_Grey describes them at a high level (from a previous post - Question - Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?)

“You could use the optimized variants of EasyList and EasyPrivacy for reducing memory/cpu usage.

You can find them here:

FilterLists | Subscriptions for uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdGuard, ...

FilterLists is the independent, comprehensive directory of filter and host lists for advertisements, trackers, malware, and annoyances. By Collin M. Barrett.
filterlists.com
filterlists.com

Search for optimized”
Thank you for the reply back. Do you know if the optimized list blocks as much as the regular AG base list? Or does it at least come close in terms of ability to block adds compared to the regular list?

tidyloop

Level 1
Oct 14, 2023
Thank you for the reply back. Do you know if the optimized list blocks as much as the regular AG base list? Or does it at least come close in terms of ability to block adds compared to the regular list?
Optimized AdGuard - Ads list had about 31000 lines, compare to about 78000 lines. However in my experience, since changing to these lists about a week ago, I have found no difference in the blocking of ads on the sites I visit

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I discovered something new (not new uBO functionally, but new to me) about cosmetic filtering.

uBO has the option to disable cosmetic filtering in Settings and disable "Import and apply cosmetic filters" in My Filters.

I usually run with cosmetic filtering disabled and only enabled it on youtube plus 7 news websites. I discovered that when I copy some news websites rules (from LennyFox) into MyFilters and disable"import and apply cosmetic filters", the 82 rules in My Filters are working as normal. (y)

So now I have a total rule count of < 25.000 network filters and < 100 cosmetic filters

1699171868360.png

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I discovered something new (not new uBO functionally, but new to me) about cosmetic filtering.

uBO has the option to disable cosmetic filtering in Settings and disable "Import and apply cosmetic filters" in My Filters.

I usually run with cosmetic filtering disabled and only enabled it on youtube plus 7 news websites. I discovered that when I copy some news websites rules (from LennyFox) into MyFilters and disable"import and apply cosmetic filters", the 82 rules in My Filters are working as normal. (y)

So now I have a total rule count of < 25.000 network filters and < 100 cosmetic filters

How do you deal with the cookie notifys? Some browsers can block them as built-in feature but wich browser youre also using?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
For privacy is it good to add Annoyances (Easy list, Adguard and Fanboy) filters? It will hide cookies notifications but does it also automatically in background select "Reject all" option? Can it happen worst posssible option that it hide cookies notifications but activates "Allow all" cookies option?
It will only accept cookies if the website is known to completely/partially break without accepting cookies. There are some news/entertainment sites for example that won't play videos unless you accept cookies.
Edit: You can checkout wetransfer(.)com, it's a site that doesn't work unless users accept cookies. So filter maintainers have added rules to auto accept cookies on this site.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.