Question Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Hi friends,

filter list1.PNG

filter list2.PNG
This is an update to a previous thread here about Ubo filters lists.
These are my UBO filter lists.
Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Thanks you for your contribution. (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Hi friends,

This is an update to a previous thread here about Ubo filters lists.
These are my UBO filter lists.
Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Thanks you for your contribution. (y)
I would rather use a (free) DNS with malware and phishing blocking than using these filters in my adblocker. Reason it is more efficient to do this on the servers of the DNS and the DNS has a lot more feeds with much larger blacklists. So I would drop the malware blocklist in uBO

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
So I am using these as of now:

Code:
"selectedFilterLists": [
    "user-filters",
    "ublock-filters",
    "ublock-badware",
    "ublock-privacy",
    "ublock-quick-fixes",
    "ublock-unbreak",
    "easylist",
    "easyprivacy",
    "adguard-cookies",
    "ublock-cookies-adguard",
    "ublock-annoyances",
    "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hagezi/dns-blocklists/main/adblock/spam-tlds-ublock.txt",
    "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kees1958/W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist/master/EU_US_MV2_most_common_ad%2Btracking_networks.txt"
  ]

I just added the hagezi list.

I honestly don't know what is considered a reasonable number of filters lists, and what's considered overkill :D When I add a list and I get subsequent numerous site breakages, then I reel in the one(s) most recently added. Of course I also note how many filters are used out of the total in a list.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Which filters do you recommend enable and disable in my filters list?

Maybe you can start by getting rid of the "phishing army" list in your imports. That one has 0/xxxx entries in use. Maybe it's not maintained any more, it's worth maybe checking up on it. The majority of your lists are showing the majority of entries are in use. You can check if your browsing is affected by temporarily shutting off uBO in the dashboard, or if you don't want to go to any web-pages without it, maybe do something like Browser Speedometer with uBO on vs. off. Maybe it's a little "clunky" of a suggestion, I dunno. 🤔

gorhill did say one time that you can have upwards of half a million list entries and your browsing speed won't be affected by uBO, though.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
do something like Browser Speedometer with uBO on vs. off. Maybe it's a little "clunky" of a suggestion, I dunno. 🤔

@plat re Browser Speedometer, Edge ran 480 "tests" (10 iterations) and score with ubo running (& privacy badger + netcraft + mbam ext) thru vpn running in vm = 61.2 runs per minute. so far haven't seen a reference to what's good, bad & ugly.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So I am using these as of now:

Code:
"selectedFilterLists": [
    "user-filters",
    "ublock-filters",
    "ublock-badware",
    "ublock-privacy",
    "ublock-quick-fixes",
    "ublock-unbreak",
    "easylist",
    "easyprivacy",
    "adguard-cookies",
    "ublock-cookies-adguard",
    "ublock-annoyances",
    "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hagezi/dns-blocklists/main/adblock/spam-tlds-ublock.txt",
    "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kees1958/W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist/master/EU_US_MV2_most_common_ad%2Btracking_networks.txt"
  ]

I just added the hagezi list.

I honestly don't know what is considered a reasonable number of filters lists, and what's considered overkill :D When I add a list and I get subsequent numerous site breakages, then I reel in the one(s) most recently added. Of course I also note how many filters are used out of the total in a list.
I don't consider your filter lists excessive by any means.
gorhill did say one time that you can have upwards of half a million list entries and your browsing speed won't be affected by uBO, though.
Which in no way implies users should just load up on filters willy-nilly.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@plat re Browser Speedometer, Edge ran 480 "tests" (10 iterations) and score with ubo running (& privacy badger + netcraft + mbam ext) thru vpn running in vm = 61.2 runs per minute. so far haven't seen a reference to what's good, bad & ugly.
I'm not sure what the good, bad, or ugly is either, but with Brave, no VPN, and straight from my laptop.
speedtest.jpg
speedtest2.jpg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
There is no general reference in this context--mainly because there are too many software and hardware variables. You compare your own browser's performance with itself--with some parameter on or off. For example: here are my results. Honestly, I expected a more even performance with uBO on vs. off but it is what it is. Windows 10 | Firefox v. 120.0 | Sandboxie | 98,514 network filters | 128,499 cosmetic filters. The images are uBO OFF and ON respectively. I retested several times and the results were the same.
uboff speed off.PNG ubo onff spee.PNG
Again, this was just an errant idea to compare the possible effects of an extension. Subjectively, I don't notice anything different with uBO on or off. So take this with a heaping spoonful of your fave seasoning.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
There is no general reference in this context--mainly because there are too many software and hardware variables. You compare your own browser's performance with itself--with some parameter on or off. For example: here are my results. Honestly, I expected a more even performance with uBO on vs. off but it is what it is. Windows 10 | Firefox v. 120.0 | Sandboxie | 98,514 network filters | 128,499 cosmetic filters. The images are uBO OFF and ON respectively. I retested several times and the results were the same.
Again, this was just an errant idea to compare the possible effects of an extension. Subjectively, I don't notice anything different with uBO on or off. So take this with a heaping spoonful of your fave seasoning.
Is 205 score bad?
firefox_qHgpnAREuW.png

Maybe you can start by getting rid of the "phishing army" list in your imports. That one has 0/xxxx entries in use. Maybe it's not maintained any more, it's worth maybe checking up on it. The majority of your lists are showing the majority of entries are in use. You can check if your browsing is affected by temporarily shutting off uBO in the dashboard, or if you don't want to go to any web-pages without it, maybe do something like Browser Speedometer with uBO on vs. off. Maybe it's a little "clunky" of a suggestion, I dunno. 🤔

I got 205. Is this bad?
firefox_qHgpnAREuW.png

Reactions: simmerskool

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I got 205. Is this bad?
firefox_qHgpnAREuW.png
Is this a chromium browser? If so, I guess it's good--I mean, I've seen similar scores with chromium ones in Windows. In this context, it's comparing apples and oranges if you're comparing your single score to someone else's. The idea was to compare your own browser's performance with uBlock Origin ON versus OFF. I can see that maybe this wasn't the best idea and I don't want to get too much off-topic when this is supposed to be about filter lists. 🙃

Reactions: simmerskool

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Is this a chromium browser? If so, I guess it's good--I mean, I've seen similar scores with chromium ones in Windows. In this context, it's comparing apples and oranges if you're comparing your single score to someone else's. The idea was to compare your own browser's performance with uBlock Origin ON versus OFF. I can see that maybe this wasn't the best idea and I don't want to get too much off-topic when this is supposed to be about filter lists. 🙃
Firefox with ubo on.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.