Advice Request Which VM are you guys using?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VM are you guys using?

• VMware Workstation 16 Pro

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • VMware Workstation 16 Player

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Oracle VirtualBox

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Microsoft Hyper-V

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Only services like ANY.RUN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Others

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I always thought Virtual Box is totally fine, but lately it's unbelievably slow and unresponsive no matter what settings I try. Now I wanted to check out VMware Workstation 16 Player as it's free for home use and is quite easy to set up. So what are you guys using - VMware, VirtualBox, Hyper-V or another one? If you don't use one of the first three options I'd be interested in the names of the ones you are using.

Last edited:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I use Hyper-V, since I only create VM's for home use to either test or break stuff. Since it's built-in into Windows 10, it only takes a quick restart to complete. Granted it does not have most of the fancy-, advanced- or "quality of life"-features nor the most appealing UI. For Basic uses and if you aren't afraid of the UI, then I can recommend it for you.

Do you need more advanced features, or simply quality of life features (ie. convience)... than VMware might be worth a look. I always found VirtualBox abit sluggish. And for those wanting something different and get their hands dirty in command line, there is also QEMU.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you want to close the VM and save its state, VMware will do it much faster than VirtualBox does, and will start it up faster. But once the VM is up and running, I don't feel a difference.
I noticed that VB has less issues with moving the mouse between host and guest. With VMware, I often had to hit the keyboard key combo to capture or uncapture the mouse. That annoys me, so I prefer VB.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
If you want to close the VM and save its state, VMware will do it much faster than VirtualBox does, and will start it up faster. But once the VM is up and running, I don't feel a difference.
I noticed that VB has less issues with moving the mouse between host and guest. With VMware, I often had to hit the keyboard key combo to capture or uncapture the mouse. That annoys me, so I prefer VB.
Damn, then I don't know what I did wrong when using Virtual Box. I literally gave it 5Gb of RAM and enough CPU power for sure but whenever trying to start/ install the VM it either froze or crashed. Once I made it, it wasn't usable at all as the mouse was lagging through the screen. Pretty much the same settings with VMware and no problems at all... :unsure:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Damn, then I don't know what I did wrong when using Virtual Box. I literally gave it 5Gb of RAM and enough CPU power for sure but whenever trying to start/ install the VM it either froze or crashed. Once I made it, it wasn't usable at all as the mouse was lagging through the screen. Pretty much the same settings with VMware and no problems at all... :unsure:
Give it as few CPU cores as possible. For instance, if you are running Windows 10 in a VM, it needs 2 cores. But if you give it more, it becomes sluggish. This is because of overhead, because it constantly needs to calculate which cores to use. More cores will make it feel more sluggish.

If you are running apps that benefit from multi-core, then once they are up and running, they will complete their tasks faster with more cores.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Give it as few CPU cores as possible. For instance, if you are running Windows 10 in a VM, it needs 2 cores. But if you give it more, it becomes sluggish. This is because of overhead, because it constantly needs to calculate which cores to use. More cores will make it feel more sluggish.

If you are running apps that benefit from multi-core, then once they are up and running, they will complete their tasks faster with more cores.
I gave it 2 to 3 on both, Virtual Box and VMware...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I gave it 2 to 3 on both, Virtual Box and VMware...
Beats me, then. VMs are very quirky. Sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't.

It also depends on what the VM is doing. For instance, sometimes a Windows VM will be downloading an update or performing some hidden maintenance task that makes it slow and sluggish. But it will come back to life when it finishes the task.

In any case, if VMware works well for you, why not keep using it?

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Beats me, then. VMs are very quirky. Sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't.

It also depends on what the VM is doing. For instance, sometimes a Windows VM will be downloading an update or performing some hidden maintenance task that makes it slow and sluggish. But it will come back to life when it finishes the task.

In any case, if VMware works well for you, why not keep using it?
Well, I might check it out in the future and see if it get's better after reinstalling. For now I'm totally satisfied with VMware. VMware also makes it much easier installing the tools for improved mice and graphics performance. Anyway thank you for your tips, much appreciated. ;)

Wasar

Level 1
Feb 18, 2021
I use Virtualbox on another PC, for testing and fun. One day I had the bad idea to enable Hyper-V and... from that moment Virtualbox stopped working, generating an error (ConsoleWrap or something similar). Even uninstalling Hyper-V the situation didn't change.
The problem seemed to be caused by fast boot, so disabling it and restarting Windows, Virtualbox started to work like a charm.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.