Advice Request Which VPN for Android do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Allego

Level 2
Verified
Jan 25, 2016
My questions to you are who's VPN providers do you trust? What's your threat model? Try to visit their websites to know who they are and their policies. Also, try their VPN app if you like it.

Ks84

Level 1
Verified
Sep 24, 2015
Using Nord , very happy for android , their windows app is buggy , tried express vpn , very good , but android version had more battery drain

Reactions: catjc

Mary1990

Level 1
Jan 22, 2019
I suggest to check out user reviews before buying VPN. I've been using Psiphon for a while now and it seems like a great app works great on Android and Windows and allows torrenting.

Reactions: kylprq

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I suggest to check out user reviews before buying VPN. I've been using Psiphon for a while now and it seems like a great app works great on Android and Windows and allows torrenting.
Most user reviews are fairly useless. They have no insight whatsoever. i often read 5 stars reviews because the speed is fast and the app works well. thats just useless for a person who realy cares about security, privacy and what peoples are behind the project/app. u should never forget most reviews there comes from normal people who have no plan.

Reactions: jogs

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I don't use a VPN on Android, only Blokada using the protocol for adblocking capabilities.

I have used Windscribe Free for Android before, it does take up a lot of battery and can be fairly unreliable compared to the desktop version.

Also used Opera VPN too. I need to find a way of using a VPN along side Blokada.

~LDogg

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
NordVPN app sends sensitive data to various trackers

NordVPN app sends sensitive data to various trackers

Since android phones are slow as compared to PCs/laptops it is advisable to choose a VPN which is fast in speed and has a wide spread of servers in the continents. ExpressVPN has many servers and is pretty fast in my testing.........at least in my region.

Last edited:
Reactions: RXZ6Q and Ks84

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't use a VPN on Android, only Blokada using the protocol for adblocking capabilities.

I have used Windscribe Free for Android before, it does take up a lot of battery and can be fairly unreliable compared to the desktop version.

Also used Opera VPN too. I need to find a way of using a VPN along side Blokada.

~LDogg
Android phone only supports the running of one(1) VPN at any instance. Blokada(like Adguard, firewall, privacy monitors etc) creates a local VPN so it's not possible to run a second VPN.

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
Android phone only supports the running of one(1) VPN at any instance. Blokada(like Adguard, firewall, privacy monitors etc) creates a local VPN so it's not possible to run a second VPN.
it is possible to use AdGuard on mobile data alongside a VPN if rooted.

Im hoping Blokada will introduce a similar feature, but so far - they havnt.

I use TorGuard + AdGuard Premium.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
I test Blokada and Adguard, but the fk.... I need to pay for an adblock. I have in my mind to go back to Blokada but something seems to hold me for Adguard. Guys what do you think? Some opinions?

Reactions: dinosaur07

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I test Blokada and Adguard, but the fk.... I need to pay for an adblock. I have in my mind to go back to Blokada but something seems to hold me for Adguard. Guys what do you think? Some opinions?
Adguard has https filtering, firewall, stealth mode plus more features. You need to pay for Adguard whilst Blokada is free.

One thing I like in Blokada is that it shows what's being blocked. I'm not seeing this in Adguard. I'm using Android 9(Pie) and after setting DNS-OVER-TLS in the phone and with no DNS setting in Blokada my ISP's DNS shows up when checked at whatsmydnsserver.com.com and ipleak.net. End up I need to select a DNS in Blokada. This doesn't happen with Adguard. I think there's a bug here with Blokada.

Blokada allows you to add filters but it doesn't show the filter counts like in uBO. That's bad because adding filters is one thing but whether the filters are properly added is another. If memory serves me right the last version does show the filter counts. I remembered adding some filters but the counts were wrong like either zero or a handful of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberTech

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
it is possible to use AdGuard on mobile data alongside a VPN if rooted.

Im hoping Blokada will introduce a similar feature, but so far - they havnt.

I use TorGuard + AdGuard Premium.
Yes, you can do it if you root the phone but I don't. Also, you can run Adguard in proxy mode with a dedicated VPN too with some limitations on Adguard.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Adguard is far better plus it can be configured to protect in very customised situations.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.