Advice Request Which would you Pick? (Security wise) - Foxit Reader (.exe) vs Foxit MobilePDF (windows store)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which would you pick? (security wise)

• Foxit Reader (regular .exe install)

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Foxit MobilePDF (windows store install)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other (leave a comment with your choice)

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kamla5abi

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 15, 2017
I was looking for foxit pdf reader and found "Foxit MobilePDF" in the windows store (on windows 10 home laptop)
Seems theres 2 versions of foxit free:
1) Foxit Reader (that you download .exe installer for windows from their website as usual and install)
2) Foxit MobilePDF (that you get from windows store)

Question:
is there any difference in security depending on which one you use?
I think i remember reading somewhere that windows store apps are contained (sandboxed or some other way?) by default in windows 10 and are more secure, is that true?

I only care for reading PDF files since PDF files are used in malware attacks quite often
and everyone seems to say adobe acrobat DC PDF reader is not so great for that security wise

Cheers :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Actually this is not true. Not all store apps are sandboxed.
Yes, some are only partially sandboxed, because of Project Centennial.

Project Centennial is a bridge for Windows 10 that allows developers to convert classic Windows apps (CWA) to AppX packages, the distribution format used by the Windows Store. The converted apps will consist of two parts, borrowing a subset of technologies from Microsoft’s application virtualization technology App-V: a UWP component and a CWA running outside of the trusted sandbox usually provided for Windows Store apps. Microsoft hopes that developers will then take the time to port CWA code to run natively in the UWP runtime, using Centennial as a stopgap while that work is undertaken.

Project Centennial": Converting your Classic Windows App (Win32, .Net, COM) to a Universal Windows App for Distribution in the Windows Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.