Advice Request Whitelist-based network filter

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I was thinking, is there an offering that whitelists network traffic, either at router level or at host level ?

Of course the whitelist won’t be something static, so , if it exists I’d expect this to be a subscription service.

Whitelist could be at domain level or IP level - for full URL level it would require an addon or certificate interception and I’m not too keen on either of these.

The advantage of a whitelist approach would be to eg eliminate connections to fresh C&C hosts

Does an offering like this exist ?

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Your "Favorites" as the WL and you as the "filter" :cool:

L

Local Host

Normally it's called Firewall, with strict rules is pretty much a traffic whitelist. You probably looking for something more specific though.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Normally it's called Firewall, with strict rules is pretty much a traffic whitelist. You probably looking for something more specific though.

It’s firewall functionality ( not only though, it could be a network protection module which is distinct from on Windows) but it should integrate with a provider of whitelists, eg doing something like this with windows firewall and manually updating the list is unmanageable, same goes for most router firewalls - the vendor effectively would provide

* a whitelist and maintain it
* integration with firewall or with network protection modules

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.