From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
... So why didn't you say the basics and first in MS - If the hardware has security holes everything else in terms of protection...
Could you expand this a little? Anyway, it would be harder to exploit hardware holes in the "average user" config - it is like a protective mask against COVID-19, where our immune system has the hole. The mask is not a panacea, but can lower the risk. Also, people will not stop using Windows, even when we know about hardware vulnerabilities.
If you wanted to suggest that something like Chromebooks would be a good alternative solution for many average users, then I fully agree with you.

Do you use macOS and virtual machines ?
I use Windows and virtual machines.

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Reading your publication I see that you know the Microsoft operating system very well and you also know about code... So why didn't you say the basics and first in MS - If the hardware has security holes everything else in terms of protection... -

🤔
Hardware based exploit would work only if a malware is running its code in memory .
Hardware based exploits can't be patched although there are usually some kind of workaround in the firmware and kernel like in Spectre
Remember its just a part of the chain

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I feel that there can be vulnerability that comes from being too confident in your own knowledge. It's similar to the illusion that it's okay to jump off because you're carrying a parachute on your back. When you jump off a low-rise building, it becomes meaningless.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I believe the average user wants to use his or her computing device as a toaster. Check emails, watch the news, a movie, Facebook, check recipes...An Ipad is that perfect toaster automatically updated ; no experiments possible. You use it as it was meant for.
An average user is a little bit intimidated with a computer. Sometimes, he needs one to do things he can't do with his Ipad. If he cannot do something, or something unusual happens on his computer,he calls his or her friend who is more learned about computers.
This friend did crazy things with his computer...things that were often not safe ....but he learned a lot. Now, he can help others run their devices safely.

Last edited:

alekstopal

May 29, 2020
Reading your publication I see that you know the Microsoft operating system very well and you also know about code... So why didn't you say the basics and first in MS - If the hardware has security holes everything else in terms of protection... -

🤔
After 10 years work with windows xp, vista, 7, 10 i switched to macOS High Sierra. So from that moment i dont know about any malware on my computer.
Also i used secure platform if i want to talk with my therapist, like doxy.me and vsee.com.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
After 10 years work with windows xp, vista, 7, 10 i switched to macOS High Sierra. So from that moment i dont know about any malware on my computer.
Also i used secure platform if i want to talk with my therapist, like doxy.me and vsee.com.
Why such an old version?
And Mac OS nowadays has a lot of malware not like the past .
Please update to lastest version on your Mac/hackintosh to mitigate mail/Webkit attack vectors .

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
A fair amount of Average Joe's & Joanna's seem to have lots pf problems I know. as I've cleaned a fair amount of PC's up owned by them - One had 12,000 pieces of malware - They also feel their Facebook/Instagram/ etc has been hacked? Can I use your PC to print something mine no longer work (restart with Shadow Defender) In my experience these Average people are anything but safe (maybe they think they are or don't understand) - I've used Windows & Linux but in Windows I've never had an infection at large apart from a worm - I did knock a full pint of beer into my MS keyboard the other day - Enter Amazon person today with a new one! :):)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
A fair amount of Average Joe's & Joanna's seem to have lots pf problems I know. as I've cleaned a fair amount of PC's up owned by them ...
That is true, but your experience has nothing to with "who is safer" problem due to the below facts:
  1. There are much more average users than above-average.
  2. Many above-average users will reinstall/repair the system without the help of others.
So, even if there would be 10% of above-average users infected and 10% of average users infected, then you will see many average users asking for help and you will not see any above-average users doing such thing.:)(y)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
People with medical profession interacted more with people infected with Corona. On this forum one of the questions is whether a member partcipate in malwate testing.

So ask @Jack what percentage pf members filling in their security profile select that they do malware testing.

Next compare the average age of last infected date of these two groups (members not involved with malware testing versus members actively or occasionally testing malware against their security setup.

Hopefully @Jack can provide these interedting insights

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
People with medical profession interacted more with people infected with Corona. On this forum one of the questions is whether a member partcipate in malwate testing.

So ask @Jack what percentage pf members filling in their security profile select that they do malware testing.

Next compare the average age of last infected date of these two groups (members not involved with malware testing versus members actively or occasionally testing malware against their security setup.

Hopefully @Jack can provide these interedting insights
Ha, ha. This would be interesting statistics, but not easily comparable to our problem.:)
Furthermore, the number of malware testers is not big, so the statistics will not be faithful.:(

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The above average user can break the operating system more than the lowest average, because he tries more things than the average, although he can fix the problems, which the average user will not do without the help of Someone, the user of Above the average they are not infected, the average lives infected and does not even realize that they are, that is the difference.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The only time I got a malware infection was the malware which came with CCleaner. At that time I only updated my software every once and a while. So it was bad luck (I only updated CCleaner once or twice per year), that I managed to install the infected version. Until Avast free told me that I had installed the infected CCleaner version I was unaware of the infection. I had no clue about security. The explanation of Avast, triggered me to learn something about security (according to Avast free, my data was not stolen, because the malware had not succeeded in the second stage of its intrusion).

Next I started to read about security and piling up security programs until my Windows7 gave me a blue screen. So the only time I bricked my system was by using to much security. This bad third-party security software experience is probably also the reason I prefer Windows build-in security (enforced with Configure Defender and Simple Windows Hardening).

So I would agree with @bribon77 since it accurately describes my experience/leaning curve

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The above average user can break the operating system more than the lowest average, because he tries more things than the average, although he can fix the problems, which the average user will not do without the help of Someone, the user of Above the average they are not infected, the average lives infected and does not even realize that they are, that is the difference.
Next I started to read about security and piling up security programs until my Windows7 gave me a blue screen. So the only time I bricked my system was by using to much security. This bad third-party security software experience is probably also the reason I prefer Windows build-in security (enforced with Configure Defender and Simple Windows Hardening).

So I would agree with @bribon77 since it accurately describes my experience/leaning curve
These examples are closely related to "who is safer" problem. It seems that average users (see the definition in OP) can have fewer system/software problems (instabilities, incompatibilities, broken updates). But on the other hand, above-average users can react quicker to infections.
But, the situation is still unclear. Is the average doctor safer than average people because he/she knows far more about diseases? Do all doctors avoid unhealthy habits like smoking or drinking? Do they always avoid risky actions like working among sick people?

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I think that people have a tendency to take some risk when realizing their interests and fascinations. So, if one is interested in computer security, he/she likes to try many security solutions (that can break the system sometimes) even if he/she has some favorite solutions. It is like discovering new lands even when we love our homeland.:)(y)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
With existing knowledge of Windows, switching to macOS is a no-brainer. You can also switch to Linux, if you don't own an Apple Mac, or want the best privacy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.