Advice Request Why can we Delete Apps on Android and iOS, but not for Windows?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It really easy to uninstall apps on Android and iOS, but complicated for Windows.

On Android and iOS to uninstall an app, we delete the app and it's gone.

On Mac, dragging the app from My Finder to the Trash Can removes the app from the system.

If anyone can fill in for how it works on Linux?

Why is it for Windows, that Win32 Desktop apps require an uninstallation wizard to take you through multiple confirmation steps before any app is uninstalled?

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

You can easily delete Apps with right click on Windows.
It only doesn't work for normal programs as they use different paths, that's why an uninstaller is needed.

Apple is known for easy handling so it's no surprise that this works easier.

Reactions: Venustus

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
When you install softwares from their repositories it's easier to uninstall them. For instance in Android and Linux, 95% of the softwares are installed from either PlayStore for Android, and Distro software repositories for Linux. I can't speak for Mac, I haven't used it before.

It's easier to find dependencies and install locations when you install via app repositories. Additionally, they are much safer too!

What makes Windows really popular over Linux is that it supports a lot of applications outside it's 'App store' (Windows app store apps are easier to uninstall). On the contrary, the 3rd party apps are a little harder/takes longer to uninstall.

Windows without it's application ecosystem is just trash in my opinion.

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
What's the fun in just deleting an application, The real satisfaction is in hunting the traces in registry, program data folder, the appdata folder in C:\users\username and God knows elsewhere folders....I usually gets mad if don't find traces in those folders after uninstalling something, is it just me? or.....

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
What's the fun in just deleting an application, The real satisfaction is in hunting the traces in registry, program data folder, the appdata folder in C:\users\username and God knows elsewhere folders....I usually gets mad if don't find traces in those folders after uninstalling something, is it just me? or.....
I do the same, when I uninstall a program I search for remnants in every nook and cranny, I obliterate it.:D

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
driver is more harder and risky

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.