Why did Microsoft remove 3D Pinball game, Windows Vista onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
The 64-bit version of Pinball had a pretty nasty bug where the ball would simply pass through other objects like a ghost. In particular, when you started the game, the ball would be delivered to the launcher, and then it would slowly fall towards the bottom of the screen, through the plunger, and out the bottom of the table. Games tended to be really short. Two of us tried to debug the program to figure out what was going on, but given that this was code written several years earlier by an outside company, and that nobody at Microsoft ever understood how the code worked (much less still understood it), and that most of the code was completely uncommented, we simply couldn’t figure out why the collision detector was not working. Heck, we couldn’t even find the collision detector! We had several million lines of code still to port, so we couldn’t afford to spend days studying the code trying to figure out what obscure floating point rounding error was causing collision detection to fail. We just made the executive decision right there to drop Pinball from the product, says a blog post at The Old New Thing.

Source : The Windows Club

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I liked it but you can still get it on windows 7 and Vista just requires some work.Check out this link which shows you how to get it and a few other things back http://www.askvg.com/how-to-get-good-old-3d-pinball-game-windows-calendar-and-clipbook-viewer-in-windows-7/

Or you can download just the 3D Pindall game http://microsoft-pinball-for-windows-vista-7.en.softonic.com/

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I always wondered, installing Pinball FX2 by Microsoft Studios (123MB though). :D

I know who voted No. :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It was awesome.......... I used to play it daily......

+1 White Nobster! :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
One, of the best games that XP had. Used to play it day in day out till, I found other games. :D

ultradolby1

Verified
Nov 8, 2012
Original XP Pinball Game c/o Tweakhound

http://www.tweakhound.com/2012/12/19/original-xp-pinball-game/

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Earth said:
I always wondered, installing Pinball FX2 by Microsoft Studios (123MB though). :D

I know who voted No. :D
Hehe can I know who voted no. Did u ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.