Advice Request Why do people use 60/90/120 days licenses from Promotions?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
They have been, as it helps them maintain a large market share. The following article explains it well.

Don't let your hatred of piracy get in the way of facts.
LOL... you're gonna link what Steve Balmer said... the guy who also said that Linux is a cancer and he would do anything to crush it. So you do realize that Microsoft, under Steve Balmer, waged a decade-long war to destroy Linux, right ?

If Microsoft is so OK with piracy, then you'll have to explain why it either assists in the prosecution and\or shuts down literally tens of thousands of its OS pirates every year ? In fact, in one case, they went after a single individual and helped the authorities a life-sentence case against him. Not once, but three times Microsoft has gone after this individual - and this is only a single case out of thousands:

Microsoft sues repeat software pirate who owes company $1.2M from prior case | Computerworld

Now, within the past 2 years, Microsoft has embraced Linux because it knows it can make hundreds of billions by monetizing Linux - which it is in the process of finding new and creative ways of making money from the Linux platform.

Reactions: Cortex

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
For me it's just not worth the trouble. Every AV deeply integrates in Windows; it's not just few files in Program files folder and a few registry keys. Much more is being done behind the scenes to keep you protected. That, however, comes with the cost. Once you uninstall the AV, your Windows installation won't be completely clean from the AV software that was previously installed and the only way to remove everything is new Windows installation. This is primarily reason why you shouldn't change AV software on daily/weekly/monthly basis; every installation "damages" Windows installation at some degree which could technically lead to some problems in future.

Because of this, my PCs have very few programs installed, only the ones I use often. If I want to try some piece of software, I'll try the portable version, or if it requires installation, use virtual machine or special program like Shadow Defender.
Antivirus Removal Tool by AlexCa is a good choice to remove any antivirus from your system.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Even if you run these uninstallers, Windows installation won't be in same condition as it was before. Sure, uninstallers will delete some files, maybe some registry keys, but you would be surprised to see how much things are left even then. AV programs aren't the only one doing this; there are all kinds of software which deeply integrate in Windows, from security to network related software. Basically, every piece of software that installs bunch of its drivers in unusual locations (e.g. System32) "damages" Windows installation in some way.

This is reason why you should install only programs that you really use. Less installations, the better. I mean, it doesn't make sense to have Photoshop installed when you know you're not going to use it.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Who wants to switch between security software every 3 months..?

I just cannot figure out a good solution to help them.

Can you provide any suggestions, so they are not switching every month?
Because I'm poor!

Anyways, I always use extended trials of that software I use, so I don't switch between products. Once the extended trial is over, I either search for a discount license or buy it somewhere cheap.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
I have stuck with Bitdefender for 5 years now, & of course, I see AV`s that I like(Kaspersky Cloud), but I stick with Bitdefender because first, it has rescued me a couple of times, second I know it is some of the best against RansomWare & other treats. :)
Same. I also have Microsoft 365, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. I don't get a thrill pirating.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I do images of C:\ every couple of days, I don't take long to evaluate a piece of software, if it's not for me I image back so no trace remains - None of my data etc is affected as it's not on C:\

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.