Why Does Antivirus Software Never Last

IAN!

Thread author
Jan 9, 2015
Is it just me or do others feel as though they have to say goodby to their favorite software every couple of years or so? I remember back in the day when all I ever needed was spybot. Then they took a turn for the worst and Malwarebytes took their place. Malwarebytes started to go down next and I picked up cce. Now I've heard that they stopped updating it and now it seems like eek is the top dog. I know that as time goes on better software is developed but this seem a bit ridiculous to me. I feel like it's literally the only type of software that forces me to switch so often. When will one of them consistently keep their lists up to date?

Reactions: Sr. Normal

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Then they took a turn for the worst and Malwarebytes took their place. Malwarebytes started to go down next and I picked up cce.
When did MalwareBytes go "down"?

I know that as time goes on better software is developed but this seem a bit ridiculous to me. I feel like it's literally the only type of software that forces me to switch so often. When will one of them consistently keep their lists up to date?

The solution to this problem, is not to switch your antivirus based on the reviews you read. Else it will be an endless procedure. Think if 1% higher detection is going to make you "feel" more safer? If no, then it's a wise decision.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
The solution to this problem, is not to switch your antivirus based on the reviews you read. Else it will be an endless procedure. Think if 1% higher detection is going to make you "feel" more safer? If no, then it's a wise decision.
I have never heard it said better @jackuars You just got a 5 Star Rating from this old man!!:):rolleyes:
I would also like to hear when did MBAM go down! MBAM is still number one in my camp!!

How much security to you need to keep you safe. You have drawn a line some time. I have drawn mine.
If my security fails me, old Macrium Reflect will bail me out just like many times before. You want security?
Back up your OS with Macrium Reflect!!;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well if you are referring MBAM going downhill is that the approach is different from Antivirus itself and focus more on recent threats.

+ As much as possible AV's are vital component if you're common sense accidentally failed or bypass base on clicking matters.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Don't click if you don't want a ticket!!:):):( Yuppers MBAM Pro is different than a Anti-Virus.
MBAM Pro is designed to run along side of your Anti-Virus and give you another layer of protection IMHO.
I would never go on the Web without MBAM Pro!;)

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
MBAM was never meant to be a real-time protection...it only has a "pro" version (now labelled as "premium") and that was meant to give a "side-kick" to the antivirus. ESET is THE antivirus/Internet Security Suite if you want a light, hassle-free and great protection, but there are more "safer" alternatives like Kaspersky which provide more features, but require no less of a gaming PC. I would recommend ESET Smart Security + MBAM + Hitman Pro + Emsisoft Emergency Kit + a prayer to God that you'll not be infected if you click everything without knowing + computer science knowledge (basic at least, like knowing what a string is.)

S

Sr. Normal

It is the computer market . In hardware and software.

Can you imagine your refrigerator out dated every 4 or 5 years ?. That your wash machine is not compatible with white socks ? ...

Now it is the software the one that also enters the wheel. The big ones lose market share in favor of the small some, which will become big, that will lose market share in favor of the small, some that...

IAN!

Thread author
Jan 9, 2015
I guess I should've been more specific. I am talking about scanners/cleaners. I have never really found a need for full antivirus protection. Most of the time they are just annoying anyway. I just occasionally(maybe once a year or less) download a program that packages a stupid toolbar or something. You know the times when you just want to get something installed and hit agree too quickly. I mean I rarely have issues with this sort of thing myself. But when I do have a problem I always find that I have to download a different scanner to get the job done. I mean MBAM usually works but lately I find that its not as good as it used to be. It's funny because I'm always the one running scans on my friend's and family's comps which end up having hundreds of threats that don't take too long to fix. When I end up with with something I have to cycle software to completely fix the issue(maybe hunt down files etc.). Also backing up my system takes up way too much space. I don't have the resources to do things like that. I guess I was just hoping for a cleaner that always worked when I needed it to but that's not really likely.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well expected that to make the computer clean, it needs a lot of scanners to take care of unless if everything went worst that's the time to reformat or restore through the state where its working and stable. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.