Why. Does. Everyone. Use. AVG.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Gosh, EVERYONE it seems (except for you guys) seem to use AVG! It's as if it's the only anti-virus they know! Why is that?

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Tom172 said:
http://bit.ly/wh6AZM

One of the main reasons.

Wonder why they don't actually take the time to research for a reliable antivirus :) (Comodo Internet Security) And a lot of people act as if AVG is the BEST antivirus out there.

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
gbpackerfan said:
Tom172 said:
http://bit.ly/wh6AZM

One of the main reasons.

Wonder why they don't actually take the time to research for a reliable antivirus :) (Comodo Internet Security) And a lot of people act as if AVG is the BEST antivirus out there.

I've never used AVG before but I can tell you that there are better free antivirus than AVG. It's kind of weird because I thought
Kaspersky were ruling the world because most of the time their fanboys can be seen everywhere.

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
Just like Tom172 said. it's all about marketing. Top of the page on Google sells products. Personally I'd take the second choice in that search any day and thats Avast.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Roti said:
It's kind of weird because I thought
Kaspersky were ruling the world because most of the time their fanboys can be seen everywhere.
Nope, it's not Kaspersky , according to the latest OPSWAT reports (Q4 2011 Antivirus and Backup Client Market Share Report PDF) , Avast is 'ruling' the world right now while AVG is only on the 5th place and Kaspersky is on place #7.

5w07N.png

In North America things are a little different however AVG is not no.1, MSE on the first place while AVG is on the 3rd place.....

i1zg7.png

It's all about marketing and product visibility , most of the world doesn't know or care about computer security ....

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
@Tom172 & DiabloBlack: because this is an ADS! Advertising link .. then it's first on the google page. Voilà.:exclamation:

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Many users looks at cnet.com, which is very popular as well liked, and guess who is the first av is on the list? AVG and then Avast; look here for yourself.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Well, lots users likes AVG since it's one of the most marketed free antiviruses today. Mainly because it's the word of mouth from most PC users.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
gbpackerfan said:

AVG was out years before Comodo, hence the popularity and recognition to recommend it. Not everyone uses AVG Free, I know some less experienced users who use paid AVs such as Vipre, Norton, McAfee, and Kaspersky.

Comodo AV is far from reliable, it's bundled with a HIPS which the user does not want by default. AVG, Avira, Avast are more simple to use as well. Since you only mention Comodo, sounds like you haven't heard about other great AV software.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Earth said:
gbpackerfan said:

AVG was out years before Comodo, hence the popularity and recognition to recommend it. Not everyone uses AVG Free, I know some less experienced users who use paid AVs such as Vipre, Norton, McAfee, and Kaspersky.

Comodo AV is far from reliable, it's bundled with a HIPS which the user does not want by default. AVG, Avira, Avast are more simple to use as well. Since you only mention Comodo, sounds like you haven't heard about other great AV software.

The HIPS component is an addition to improve the AV's zero-day malware protection. In which way is Comodo AV not reliable? It's true that it's cleaning capabilities are not the best but that's the con of it.
If we take a look at detection rate, CAV has more or less the same rate as Avast and AVG (many ,for some odd reason (maybe not you and I), decided how good an AV is, based on it's detection rate....). CAV engine has a good heuristic engine (one of the best according to Jack), it does give FP but that's something a user has to live with, compared to Avast that mostly relies on it's signature, since its heuristics engine doesn't kick in or isn't good enough. AVG has a better heuristics engine which can be seen in reviews, quite frequent.

Does Comodo's pop up make it harder to use? Maybe but once you have everything cleared out and set you won't even know it's there. It's another problem if you install things on the computer day in and day out. I, for instance, don't even know it's there but that's I don't install to much on the samsung either.

If we take a look at settings, comodo is far easier than Avast or AVG; if you take a look then you will see what I mean. Comodo AV, has few and enough.

I will take some screen shot and compare them.

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for the info, Jack. That is where Avast should be, sitting comfortably on top of the world. :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well you think when you go to people today and ask what they are running on their computer, most of the world would say AVG. I know heaps of my friends that still use AVG and if you ask "why don't you change to a different product" they will mostly say "I don't know any others, Friend recommended it to me, It does what I want it to do". So what's the point in changing.

Like a few of you guys said better to look up and see the difference and or watch videos on how the AV works.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The main reason why AVG got so popular is because it was the very first free antivirus on the market.
At the time most antivirus software were too expensive and when a vendor offered a free solution almost everyone who didn't have to money to buy an antivirus switched to AVG. Years later other free antivirus software hit the market but is was too late for them to own up to the popularity of AVG.

Of coarse now Avira and Avast is getting close to AVG's popularity for the same reason, offering free solutions.

Popularity doesn't mean a product is any better, sometimes what might be more popular might have disadvantages and what isn't as popular could be a better option. Like for example, Comodo is popular on security forums and among advanced users, but as the majority of users, Comodo isn't very popular. Most users are novice and never even known that Comodo exists mostly because only advanced users know how to use it and configure correctly. Which explains another reason why AVG is so popular, it is extremely novice user friendly. Many previous AVG users already know how AVG works and how to configure it and don't want to learn new things because they stay with it and continue to recommend it to others.

Thanks.:D

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Earth said:
gbpackerfan said:

Comodo has a fairly good detection rate in my private testings, and maybe I should have worded it differently. What I meant was giving an example of a reliable antivirus, which Comodo Internet Security is, indeed, pretty reliable. You're treating me like I'm ignorant, when I'm really not. I have, actually, heard about other great AV software.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Littlebits said:
The main reason why AVG got so popular is because it was the very first free antivirus on the market.
At the time most antivirus software were too expensive and when a vendor offered a free solution almost everyone who didn't have to money to buy an antivirus switched to AVG. Years later other free antivirus software hit the market but is was too late for them to own up to the popularity of AVG.

Of coarse now Avira and Avast is getting close to AVG's popularity for the same reason, offering free solutions.

Popularity doesn't mean a product is any better, sometimes what might be more popular might have disadvantages and what isn't as popular could be a better option. Like for example, Comodo is popular on security forums and among advanced users, but as the majority of users, Comodo isn't very popular. Most users are novice and never even known that Comodo exists mostly because only advanced users know how to use it and configure correctly. Which explains another reason why AVG is so popular, it is extremely novice user friendly. Many previous AVG users already know how AVG works and how to configure it and don't want to learn new things because they stay with it and continue to recommend it to others.

Thanks.:D

It's always advertisements :dodgy: When will people ever learn? I've been taught by my parents since I was 3 that advertisements aren't always the truth, and should always see other solutions for a product, instead of just buying a product because of its advertisement.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I actually used AVG for around 3-4 years before and must say its just a decent AV product.

AVG is well famous even before on having free version, my older brother does used it before. Then now it was improved from its components that maintains for being good AV.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
My friend has AVG Free on hes laptop, I asked why he chose it, He said he doesn't know of any others. Must have typed Free antivirus in Google and clicked on avg.com

I used AVG Free for a couple years myself, It was also the only Anti-virus I knew of way back then when I wasn't security savvy, . Clearly advertisements and word of mouth got the upperhand.

Australian government departments all use AVG, Often when I have appointments and manage to catch a glimpse of the workers screen, I see the little AVG icon in the taskbar.

OT: I managed to install MBAM and do a quick scan on my friends laptop. Sure enough, Trj.Dropper sitting in AppData :rolleyes:

V

Vextor

I myself used to use AVG Free, until I learned about security.
The main reason was because of adverts, as everybody is saying. However, Avast has also been gaining popularity, because I switched to that as well. What nobody seems to notice is MSE. People use that as well, mainly because it's a Windows program, by the creators of Windows, so everybody trusts it.

I used to install AVG when a computer was broken, and I no longer would, but it would clean the computer, and give the user a safe and secure system that they can easily configure. It's not complicated, and AVG was first in the free-AV market. Now every company seems to enter the market, to promote their payed products. COMODO seems to be the only company that offers it's best suite with everything included for free, without adverts for it's premium version, which only adds a guarantee.

The reason COMODO hasn't hit it off is because it's complicated. I barely understood when I first used it. Now I'm pro with it, but many people simply don't understand it.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I will applaud comodo any day. I have beta tested CAV and i can sure say its HIPS was very bad. It even asked whether to allow comodo av service or not?. Even just 1year back it was the same with Cis. But now they have evolved, a few months back i tried CIS and I was surprised at the dearth of any constantly nagging popups from Defense+ even when i maxed out settings. Comodo never alerted me except when i tried downloading eicar and spycar. Sure yes it asked about unknown apps, but the heap popups which used to be generated after install was not there. So KUDOS! comodo.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.