Troubleshoot Why does my videos freeze when I use HDMI connection?

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
When watching videos, screen freezes for a sec, every 5 secs
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reboot OS
Update drivers
Check for OS updates
Let me explain my problem. I'm a bit noob on this subject.

I own an Acer notebook (Predator Helios 300). I connected it now to a 23" monitor and it's really great, but when I watch a video on Youtube the image will just stop and blink, and resume after 1 second being frozen. And this happens every 5 seconds or less. Literally annoying. If I use the normal Acer notebook's screen it doesn't happen.

I connect to this monitor via HDMI. I believe both monitor and HDMI cable are working.

Any ideas?

As for software I use KTS19 and OSA on this PC :)

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Is there an updated video driver?
I tried the updated driver but it didn't fix it.

FUN FACT: It only happens on Google Chrome apparently
FUN FACT 2: If I keep moving the mouse on the video rectangle in Youtube, it won't happen, the moment I take the mouse out of the rectangle or stop moving it, it freezes again.

Upvote 0

JiSingh12

Level 3
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
when I watch a video on Youtube the image will just stop and blink, and resume after 1 second being frozen

Have you tried any other video services on Chrome, such as Metacafe?
Does it work if you try something like 360p resolution?
Have you tried restoring Chrome settings to default settings?
What model is the monitor?

Reactions: RoboMan
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Does the monitor have this issue when used for other systems (e.g. as a primary screen for a Desktop or as a duplicate for another Laptop)?
Yes! Works great everywhere else!
Same happens when you change display settings to 16 bit?
Haven't tried this so far!
I dont know. But maybe you should try switching the video card to Nvidia and test again?
Yes, I already use the Nvidia for default!
Have you tried any other video services on Chrome, such as Metacafe?
Does it work if you try something like 360p resolution?
Have you tried restoring Chrome settings to default settings?
What model is the monitor?
1. Haven't so far
2. Yes I tried various resolutions and none solved the problem
3. Yes I did restore it to default and also reinstalled it, haven't solved the problem
4. It's an HP V224H

Thanks everybody for the help so far :)

Upvote 0

JiSingh12

Level 3
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
1. Haven't so far
2. Yes I tried various resolutions and none solved the problem
3. Yes I did restore it to default and also reinstalled it, haven't solved the problem
4. It's an HP V224H

Just try another website once you connected to the monitor. You said everything works all fine through the actual notebook screen.

If you use Firefox or edge, do you have the same issue on youtube?

Have you tried disabling your AV software and just trying it?

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Just try another website once you connected to the monitor. You said everything works all fine through the actual notebook screen.

If you use Firefox or edge, do you have the same issue on youtube?

Have you tried disabling your AV software and just trying it?
Yep, I tried Firefox and it works great! Chrome seems to be the issue, hence why I tried reinstalling and resetting.
As well I tried disabling Kaspersky and I even disabled the whole web injection.

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Try disabling hardware acceleration in chrome. It's the way the integrated gpu in the cpu works with the nvidia one to produce the final image.
I was sure the bug was fixed though so make sure you have the latest intel hd driver but regardless disabling hardware acceleration should solve the issue if i guessed right.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Are you on latest drivers from Intel and Nvidia? If so, try this tool to get rid off Optimus bullshit that Windows introduced and Intel partially fixed it in 607x for skylake and above. jobeid/TrayPwrD3
Put Tarypwrd3 in idle mode when connecting to HDMI and hopefully issue will go away and will net you bigger battery life.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thank you all! As many weird issues, this has been fixed randomly. Maybe some Chrome update, automatic driver update, Windows Update, who knows... Fixed now :)

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Thank you all! As many weird issues, this has been fixed randomly. Maybe some Chrome update, automatic driver update, Windows Update, who knows... Fixed now :)
Don't trust WU at all! Try Developer driver from Nvidia for least issues whilst gaming and developing Vulkan/OpenCL/CUDA/TensorFlow apps.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.