Why don't I use Windows Software Restriction Policies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
From the technet.microsoft.com :

"Software Restriction Policies (SRP) is Group Policy-based feature that identifies software programs running on computers in a domain, and controls the ability of those programs to run. Software restriction policies are part of the Microsoft security and management strategy to assist enterprises in increasing the reliability, integrity, and manageability of their computers.

You can also use software restriction policies to create a highly restricted configuration for computers, in which you allow only specifically identified applications to run. Software restriction policies are integrated with Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policy. You can also create software restriction policies on stand-alone computers. Software restriction policies are trust policies, which are regulations set by an administrator to restrict scripts and other code that is not fully trusted from running."

Software Restriction Policies
Software Restriction Policies Technical Overview
How Software Restriction Policies Work: Group Policy
Using Software Restriction Policies to Protect Against Unauthorized Software

@Andy Ful - great poll and thread ;)

"It can block something important and hang the system." - a user would have to disable critical Windows processes within the SRP - ignoring any notifications that the created policy might cause serious problems - for this to happen = user mistake

Default SRP policies won't smash any Windows system. Someone please explain to me the logic here ? What's the point of creating a SRP only to have a user install or enable it and then - because of the default policy - the SRP smashes the system ? Now that would be complete stupidity...

"It is useless for inexperienced users." - this is patently false; people that know zero - nada - zilch - about SRP use it without incident

Last edited by a moderator:

Reldel

Nov 13, 2016
I've used SRP on various family computers since Windows 7 (all now on Windows 10) experienced and inexperienced users and none of the computers/users have had problems using it. More importantly none of the computers has had any infections, pups, malware or ransomware. A believer.

Hats off to mechBgon.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
HAHA @ @SHvFl liking a double post!

Now that made me laugh, thanks... just what I needed today!

He 'Liked' my technical problems with MT today - and doesn't even know it.
Both correct because i don't read the replies if i am not interested but like them if it's from someone i am aware for support reasons. I am not cheap with likes, they are free.

"It is not user friendly" -- that can mean a lot of different things, but still, I didn't know that an ON-OFF button could be user unfriendly.

"It is too complicated" -- I can understand why some users would think this, but it just ain't that complicated

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Maybe the the answer should be corrected:
It is too complicated in Windows Home.:)
I am curious, why the double posts cannot be deleted?

They didn't actually. It seems to have requirements. For sure when you are trusted you can do it and i would assume developers can also so contact an admin i guess.

No, I can't do it. Button not there. So I assumed it was removed since the site is constantly evolving. Thanks for the correction.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
No, I can't do it. Button not there. So I assumed it was removed since the site is constantly evolving. Thanks for the correction.
You had a previous trusted account so you are allowed to get it on this account. They just have to put you again in the list and i have seen other people doing it. I would contact someone if i was you. Probably @Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.