Not open for further replies.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hi there. I am new to this forum but know about it since many years ago.
After just posting a few replies in the threads, I got banned:

"This account was banned for the following reason: Spam."
The message that said above in the forum, to me, had also an email address, I contacted them, but never got any response.

I wanted to know if using a VPN was the case that I got banned. Maybe because it wasn't static IP?
Now I connected to static IP in the VPN I use and didn't get banned.
I was just curious about why I got banned previously.
Many thanks.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

The message that said above in the forum, to me, had also an email address, I contacted them, but never got any response.

I wanted to know if using a VPN was the case that I got banned. Maybe because it wasn't static IP?
Many thanks.
Hello @H7ZXJX7,
I'm really sorry for this issue. We have some filter which detects IP's, emails and other details that are known to spam (DNSBL, StopForumSpam, etc..).
The IP that you were using was reported as spam and our automated system took action and banned the account. I'll do some more checks to see what happened with your previous account. Anyway, welcome to MalwareTips!

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hello @H7ZXJX7,
I'm really sorry for this issue. We have some filter which detects IP's, emails and other details that are known to spam (DNSBL, StopForumSpam, etc..).
The IP that you were using was reported as spam and our automated system took action and banned the account. I'll do some more checks to see what happened with your previous account. Anyway, welcome to MalwareTips!
Thank you so much, Jack. I appreciate. So its something related to the quality of the VPN I used that time, right?

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
It happened to me after making my FIRST POST here. I remember registering seeing a purevpn deal and getting the deal. A few days later (or sometime later), I made the recommendation of this VPN to a forum member. BAM. Ban Hammer. Same reason. I was quite surprised as having moderated forums before, I know there are warning systems in place before banning a member.
Anyways, about 1 year later, I asked via email why I was banned and gave proof of what I did. The ban was lifted.
The reply was
" Hello,
We're really sorry about this issue. We've removed the ban from your account. See you on the forums!"

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
It was printed before and it still says in Code of Conduct

Circumventing a Suspension / Ban
This category includes:

Posting on another account
Having someone post on your behalf
Creating multiple accounts per user
Register using a disposable email address or with a VPN/Proxy
If a member is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:

Be permanently banned from posting on the forums

Rollers127

Level 1
Jan 4, 2020

Many thanks.
Are you by any chance with Vodafone home broadband in the UK? I was, and was unable to join. It seems that some Vodafone IP addresses are confused with those from India. My Twitter account always showed the trending in India. Doing online purchases was hit and miss, as some vendors would not let us as it said we were in India. Using the hotspot from our mobiles was one way around this. Since I moved to another major UK broadband supplier, all those issues have disappeared thankfully and I was able to join no problem.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@Rollers127
Yes, I use a VPN that connects to the UK. Also sometimes I am unable to open AskWoody
It says:
Unfortunately, to protect the AskWoody site -- which gets hit by hundreds of "bad actors" every day -- we have an automatic block in place to reject attempts from specific addresses. Your IP address is suspect, probably because other people using similar IP addresses have been up to no good.

If you're using a VPN, try turning off the VPN. Many people find that just switching off the VPN will get them through. If that doesn't work, try connecting to a different location.

If you aren't using a VPN, try disconnecting from your internet connection, wait a few minutes and reconnect.

In either case, your IP address should change, giving you another chance to break through.

Next time you're blocked by Wordfence, go to whatismyip.com and tell me what IP address you're using. I'll try to run it down.

- Woody

So the problem is with that IP addresses as you mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Turning off your VPN to register on a well established Security forum such as MT would alleviate the problem.
I understand using a VPN for your security and privacy and the staff at MT take that very seriously.
It is totally understandable if you use a VPN however we do not have the time to look at every registration.
Therefore we have to use the tools within the forum software to help us weed out the spam accounts.

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
Turning off your VPN to register on a well established Security forum such as MT would alleviate the problem.
I understand using a VPN for your security and privacy and the staff at MT take that very seriously.
It is totally understandable if you use a VPN however we do not have the time to look at every registration.
Therefore we have to use the tools within the forum software to help us weed out the spam accounts.

accounts are banned on the basis of VPN use only
there is no spamming by those accounts
i have not seen a spam account here at MT for years

Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I just want say thanks to the team for removing the same problem for me: a "spam" ban.

It's nice to be back and I hope that my reputation go higher with time and also hope that my old posts and threads (one of that has few sites with many good security comments) can be restored.

Keep up the good work!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
accounts are banned on the basis of VPN use only
No but if the person trying to register is using a temp email and an IP flagged as spam then yes.
We do not know if they are using a VPN or not but if their account profile location is New York USA and their IP is Paris France then yes
Most are easy to spot but every once in a while they make it through.
Once you are a registered member you can use a VPN but keep in mind if you enter an MT sponsored giveaway you need to use your real IP
Please keep in mind that we have menbers here who must use a VPN due to censorship for accessing some sites and we totally understand and sympathize with this.
Because we spam-clean them before their posts reach public forums
I think I spam clean here more than I clean my house 🤯

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

No but if the person trying to register is using a temp email and an IP flagged as spam then yes.
We do not know if they are using a VPN or not but if their account profile location is New York USA and their IP is Paris France then yes
How is the process to mark a IP as spam? As I had the same issue but never use any VPN, proxy, Tor.
The only thing I detect was that my router use the same IP since October which I change to renew now every night (from ISP).
So the location never changed (Germany)

Just want to know that things to reduce false positives on my side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.