Why I like Kaspersky Total Security

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I've tried many AVs over the years. Switched them to try out different brands (AV addiction disease). I finally settled on KTS. It works for me on what I need. Here is what I use to have:

-Free AV
-LastPass
-Acronis Backup
-True Crypt

What I use now:

-KTS 2018
-Kaspersky Password Manager
-Kaspersky Backup
-Kaspersky Encryption

The reason why I switched to KTS is, I wanted an all-in-one product. It felt weird having multiple apps running doing different things. I thought to myself, some AV has to have close to perfected multiple systems (password, backup, encryption, etc). I looked and looked and finally settled on KTS. I find that most of the extra features are very polished. For example:

Backup: Works wonderfully. Never has failed. I backup to a local drive and every time I check on its progress, I never see any error. I use to use Acronis. Acronis was difficult to understand. I had problems figuring out how to make it delete old backups. It would just never work. Kaspersky backup works every time and uses little space and properly deletes old backup data. Acronis always wanted more money every year to upgrade to its lastest and greatest version :(

Encryption: I couldn't find a simpler way to do encryption, especially with a built-in feature inside an AV. You create something called a 'container'. Think of it like a folder. Once created, all you do is double-click on the file, enter a password, then BAAM...it opens so you can see the contents. Simple as can be.Truecrypt required too many steps for something that should be so simple.

Password Manager: I've seen this done badly with a feature inside AVs. Kaspersky seems to have done it correctly. It works just as well as LastPass. Believe it is designed by Sticky Password Manager. Only negative is there is no 2-factor authentication. Polished, and works well. Android app works fine too (only no fingerprint login on android...you have to type in password manually). Fills forms fine, easy to create and make new website login info, easy to search through the database.

Everything else: Seems to score well here on MalwareTips. I like how Kaspersky allows you to customize it further in depth. Kaspersky has really polished their product from the 2016 and previous versions. It was always a little heavy, but no more.

Additional Bonuses with KTS:

-Software Updater: Works very well with a wide range of programs. Auto updates most programs with no user intervention.
-Installation Assistant (like Unchecky): Haven't seen it in action yet, but another user posted that is works great.
-Keys are cheap and are easy to find on places such as Ebay (5 user, 1 year is around ~$25, 1 user, 1 year is around $8).
-KSN (Kapsersky Security Network)...I've heard great things.
-TAM (Trusted Application Mode): Works better than before, for people wanting Default Deny. Only CON, doesn't block and restrict with a password (like Avast does with Hardened Mode).
-Many more things, but I wanted to keep this post simple.

EDIT: One last thing, for small businesses (or Kiddos...or older inexperienced folks), Parental Control is one of the best implementations I have seen inside an AV so far. Ex: Deny download of EXEs, time limits on web use, site restrictions, restrict application use with a password, and much much more. Very in-depth and easy to use.

CONS: I wish Anti-Banner worked better. It works well but doesn't block Youtube Ads. Maybe there is a workaround? (@harlan4096 ). I use Adguard Chrome extension ATM.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I've decided to try and have everything under one roof and so far, everything works great. Well worth the money spent. Good job Kaspersky with creating a well polished Swiss Army Knife.

Share any opinions you have ;)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@motox781, I enjoyed your comprehensive descriptions of all that Kaspersky Total Security includes.
I have been a satisfied user of Kaspersky Internet Security for nearly one year, now.:D
After I read your positive comments, I then took a more serious look at all you've described.
It is certainly nice to find there is an all-in-one alternative I was not aware of before, and one which
(thanks to your share) others may also comparatively consider for value as well as a high level for both privacy & security.

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
u should try ESET too, Although not feature rich as Kasp but very lightweight on System and its defence capabilities as par as Kasp. Just refer latest eset results in virus vaults results.

I've tried ESET extensively in the past, love their product. Never used their password manager. Always felt like ESET was missing something. Settings seemed too scattered. Newer ESET versions felt similar, only updated GUIs. Parental controls work great (I have a click happy person currently using an Eset product and it has held him/her back from harm...for many many years, and YES...this is a person who clicks and tries to find everything...you know what I mean :love:).

I've always thought to myself if there was a lab test for an extreme situation...this would be it. And ESET has passed. You would have to know more about the situation to understand me ;) This isn't a typical mama, employee or kid situation...

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

CONS: I wish Anti-Banner worked better.
Enjoyed reading through your review of Kaspersky. I agree with the most points you mention and for me Anti-banner impacts browsing speed a lot on Firefox 57. If it wasn't for that, I would really like to keep it enabled. Kaspersky Protection browser add-on blocks Youtube adds though, I don't see any commercials during video playback..

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have been a Kaspersky user on and off ,I keep uninstalling it,because it always end up blocking my ability to type,it drives me nuts,I wish I could get some help on this ,if anyone has had same trouble

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I've tried many AVs over the years. Switched them to try out different brands (AV addiction disease). I finally settled on KTS. It works for me on what I need. Here is what I use to have:

-Free AV
-LastPass
-Acronis Backup
-True Crypt

What I use now:

-KTS 2018
-Kaspersky Password Manager
-Kaspersky Backup
-Kaspersky Encryption

The reason why I switched to KTS is, I wanted an all-in-one product. It felt weird having multiple apps running doing different things. I thought to myself, some AV has to have close to perfected multiple systems (password, backup, encryption, etc). I looked and looked and finally settled on KTS. I find that most of the extra features are very polished. For example:

Backup: Works wonderfully. Never has failed. I backup to a local drive and every time I check on its progress, I never see any error. I use to use Acronis. Acronis was difficult to understand. I had problems figuring out how to make it delete old backups. It would just never work. Kaspersky backup works every time and uses little space and properly deletes old backup data. Acronis always wanted more money every year to upgrade to its lastest and greatest version :(

Encryption: I couldn't find a simpler way to do encryption, especially with a built-in feature inside an AV. You create something called a 'container'. Think of it like a folder. Once created, all you do is double-click on the file, enter a password, then BAAM...it opens so you can see the contents. Simple as can be.Truecrypt required too many steps for something that should be so simple.

Password Manager: I've seen this done badly with a feature inside AVs. Kaspersky seems to have done it correctly. It works just as well as LastPass. Believe it is designed by Sticky Password Manager. Only negative is there is no 2-factor authentication. Polished, and works well. Android app works fine too (only no fingerprint login on android...you have to type in password manually). Fills forms fine, easy to create and make new website login info, easy to search through the database.

Everything else: Seems to score well here on MalwareTips. I like how Kaspersky allows you to customize it further in depth. Kaspersky has really polished their product from the 2016 and previous versions. It was always a little heavy, but no more.

Additional Bonuses with KTS:

-Software Updater: Works very well with a wide range of programs. Auto updates most programs with no user intervention.
-Installation Assistant (like Unchecky): Haven't seen it in action yet, but another user posted that is works great.
-Keys are cheap and are easy to find on places such as Ebay (5 user, 1 year is around ~$25, 1 user, 1 year is around $8).
-KSN (Kapsersky Security Network)...I've heard great things.
-TAM (Trusted Application Mode): Works better than before, for people wanting Default Deny. Only CON, doesn't block and restrict with a password (like Avast does with Hardened Mode).
-Many more things, but I wanted to keep this post simple.

EDIT: One last thing, for small businesses (or Kiddos...or older inexperienced folks), Parental Control is one of the best implementations I have seen inside an AV so far. Ex: Deny download of EXEs, time limits on web use, site restrictions, restrict application use with a password, and much much more. Very in-depth and easy to use.

CONS: I wish Anti-Banner worked better. It works well but doesn't block Youtube Ads. Maybe there is a workaround? (@harlan4096 ). I use Adguard Chrome extension ATM.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I've decided to try and have everything under one roof and so far, everything works great. Well worth the money spent. Good job Kaspersky with creating a well polished Swiss Army Knife.

Share any opinions you have ;)

Agree with it all. PLUS, a good antispam. Not great, just good. (ESET shines here)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I didn't see any security features going from KIS to KTS, just "bells and whistles". You get a software updater, but it's pretty limited, and poorly vetted as I got alerts in some cases when updating some (not all) software. I didn't use the password manager because it forces you into the cloud (unlike Sticky Password) and lacks the development responsiveness that Sticky Password (its creator) provides. IMO, KIS is the best value. That all said I uninstalled KTS after too many incomprehensible alerts, and moved to Comodo Firewall (CS settings) and let Windows Defender do its thing.

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I didn't see any security features going from KIS to KTS, just "bells and whistles". You get a software updater, but it's pretty limited, and poorly vetted as I got alerts in some cases when updating some (not all) software. I didn't use the password manager because it forces you into the cloud (unlike Sticky Password) and lacks the development responsiveness that Sticky Password (its creator) provides. IMO, KIS is the best value. That all said I uninstalled KTS after too many incomprehensible alerts, and moved to Comodo Firewall (CS settings) and let Windows Defender do its thing.

I use Kaspersky Backup and Encryption also. KIS doesn't include those two. I do agree with you though. KIS is a fine product. Price is so negligible between the two (KIS and KTS), I usually opt for KTS.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Great extense and helpful thread. Thanks for the recommendation!

As an ex-Kaspersky user, i can confirm what makes them great is the vast ammount of modules and how great they work. It's a very full and useful program, can bet it's the or of the best software out there.

The only thing I disliked was Application Control: way too buggy and usually slow after some time.

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Verified
May 7, 2016
Kaspersky Internet Security is one of the best out there. It is well rounded and takes care of most vectors of infection, While it is a bit heavy on the system, it has become considerable lighter over the years.
The Safe money module is a weak link as it is not compatible with some payment gateways.
Also. while KIS is great a blocking infections, it cannot clean or remove them.
But then, once an infection has occurred, there is no point in trying to clean, Best to reinstall.

Berny

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2016
If you are talking about the détection notifications, please clear the reports and proceed with a new scan.

Last edited:

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I use Bitdefender Internet Security 2018
Password Manager and File Encryption are included

BitDefender makes a good product, but I think they need to work on their "polish". I tried Bitdefender off and on a couple of years ago and even though the AV worked well, the other addons felt thrown together. One of the turn-offs for me around 2015-2016 was the forum. Completely unhelpful. Every response on the English forum was scripted and simple. Only a couple of Admins would chime in to help, at a slow pace. Not sure if it is the same or not, but makes the product feel like 'snake oil sold with little support'. I don't mean that to sound so harsh, but at the time...the forums looked like they were built in the 90s and they were supposedly scoring high marks with every AV testing facility out there. (Hint to management at Bitdefender...spend a little more $ on forums/support).

Kaspersky support is better. Not as good at Emsisoft. ESET forums are good too. Again, just my 2 cents.

Bitdefender is great, but Parental control, Application Control, and other features/settings are not as strong as Kaspersky (and more simple to use). Price on Bitdefender is good too. Very good.

Edit: Just checked their English forums and it seems much better than the recent past ;) Good job Bitdefender.

Remember, not only do you invest in a product's effectiveness (at that current time), but as a business in the future. How they do things, effectiveness, advertising (hype...cough...Macafee/Vipre), price, where they're going in the future, etc.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.